Football 19/20

thetime

6 minutes ago, mcshed said:

If you look closely the three monkeys have been done with different racial features so you have a "white" monkey an "asian" monkey and a "black" monkey which seems somewhat problematic in itself on top of it being a terrible idea to use monkeys in anti-racism campaign, but the idea I believe is to say we are all monkeys. 

I don't really think there's a problem with the concept for the art, when looked at in isolation (and with the artist's explanation).

It's fucking dumb to think it's appropriate to use for this campaign. It's so dumb I can't help thinking it's a deliberate fuck-you at anti-racism.

9 hours ago, eFestivals said:

I don't really think there's a problem with the concept for the art, when looked at in isolation (and with the artist's explanation).

It's fucking dumb to think it's appropriate to use for this campaign. It's so dumb I can't help thinking it's a deliberate fuck-you at anti-racism.

6 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

It's not really fair to blame him, his employers tell him what to say.

GN: "Do you not agree with me mate?"

DJ: "Whether I do or don't is completely irrelevant"

Both employed by Sky Sports.

Edited by jyoung

1 minute ago, jyoung said:

GN: "Do you not agree with me mate?"

DJ: "Whether I do or don't is completely irrelevant"

Both employed by Sky Sports.

In very different roles though, also much easier for one to find a similar profile job if Sky got rid of them. At the end of the day he has been told by his bosses what to say and followed orders, I think the blame lies elsewhere.

Was never really convinced about the money big Duncan Ferguson moved around for but loved his reactions during and after the last few games. 

Plenty of players kiss the badge. Good to see a guy who really means it.

I was at Ibrox the night he hit the bar for Scotland against Germany with an overhead kick. Seems like a 100 years ago. He was certainly a great prospect back  then.

1 minute ago, pink_triangle said:

In very different roles though, also much easier for one to find a similar profile job if Sky got rid of them. At the end of the day he has been told by his bosses what to say and followed orders, I think the blame lies elsewhere.

It's not DJ's fault that Rudiger was racially abused. You're right. 

In a week where Stormzy was attacked by the right wing press for saying the UK has a racism problem, the presenter of the biggest sports programme in the country (with millions watching worldwide) could only respond to an actual incident of racism by distancing himself from the views of somebody facing up to the issue.

It's all part of the problem.

21 minutes ago, jyoung said:

It's not DJ's fault that Rudiger was racially abused. You're right. 

In a week where Stormzy was attacked by the right wing press for saying the UK has a racism problem, the presenter of the biggest sports programme in the country (with millions watching worldwide) could only respond to an actual incident of racism by distancing himself from the views of somebody facing up to the issue.

It's all part of the problem.

The problem is his bosses who make the rules, not the presenters who follow them. He is paid to be a presenter and not to have an opinion. If he does not follow instructions, there will be plenty others who will happily take his role 

I can understand him thinking it isn't a battle worth fighting. I think in some ways Neville has thrown a lower paid colleague under the bus. I would have more respect if he had called out Murdoch.

My view in general is anyone willing to take the Murdoch money should be very careful about taking the moral high ground.

Edit checked and Murdoch not involved with sky now, but pretty sure he would have been when Neville started. Still stand by the view that Neville would have been better calling out Jones bosses or the sky chief executive, rather than putting the presenter in an awkward position.

Edited by pink_triangle

10 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

The problem is his bosses who make the rules, not the presenters who follow them. He is paid to be a presenter and not to have an opinion. If he does not follow instructions, there will be plenty others who will happily take his role 

I can understand him thinking it isn't a battle worth fighting. I think in some ways Neville has thrown a lower paid colleague under the bus. I would have more respect if he had called out Murdoch.

My view in general is anyone willing to take the Murdoch money should be very careful about taking the moral high ground.

Edit checked and Murdoch not involved with sky now, but pretty sure he would have been when Neville started. Still stand by the view that Neville would have been better calling out Jones bosses or the sky chief executive, rather than putting the presenter in an awkward position.

I dont get your logic: neville called it out and jones came across as defending it. He could have said 'I agree with you Gary but the official sky sports stance is...'

Jones has apologised now and admits he made a mistake

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/dec/23/sky-news-host-apologises-for-shutting-down-racism-discussion-gary-neville

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, zahidf said:

I dont get your logic: neville called it out and jones came across as defending it. He could have said 'I agree with you Gary but the official sky sports stance is...'

Jones has apologised now and admits he made a mistake

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/dec/23/sky-news-host-apologises-for-shutting-down-racism-discussion-gary-neville

I think Jones is under pressure in this situation because I strongly suspect after Neville last talked about politics/racism Sky would have told the presenters to be careful around these discussions.  I think its fair enough that Jones having to make a quick decision has taken the safe route. To be honest he claims that he was referring to Neville talking about politics and racism and I think its fair enough to take it at face value.

However I think Neville also put him in a tricky situation and could have reacted differently. Lets not forget that Neville is someone who was happy to take Murdochs money when he came to sky and I believe now takes money from the Telegraph.  Maybe he should be calling out the people who pay him the money instead of a TV presenter following orders.

Just now, zahidf said:

Fair play to steve Bruce at Newcastle. Thought its be a disaster but it's been good so far in terms of premiere league survival

I'm still bemused by it.

Getting Shelvey performing again after he'd been sidelined by Benitez is the main thing I'd put down to him. We still don't have a striker though...

8 hours ago, zahidf said:

Fair play to steve Bruce at Newcastle. Thought its be a disaster but it's been good so far in terms of premiere league survival

8 hours ago, kaosmark2 said:

I'm still bemused by it.

Getting Shelvey performing again after he'd been sidelined by Benitez is the main thing I'd put down to him. We still don't have a striker though...

Yeah its weird - we aren't playing amazingly well, but we're very efficient at making our chances count, especially given the sheer amount of goals scored by defenders in the absence of anything tangible from our strikers. Its weird Joelinton is still yet to get a goal at St James' Park, and its equally odd it took Almiron up until last weekend to finally grab a Premier League goal given he has generally played well.

Still, I was expecting a very difficult season, particularly after the poor performances against Norwich and Leicester in the opening few weeks. So its turned out nicely.

11 hours ago, kaosmark2 said:

I'm still bemused by it.

Random question... Do you know who Jonjo Shelvey is married to?

Incredible!