Football 19/20

thetime

Any suggestion City need to rebuild their team is laughable. Pep will cough up another 3 or 4  hundred million in the transfer window and they'll be the best team in the country again. They could still win every game between now and the end of the season. They've got the usual easy draws in the domestic cups do can rest players.

Obviously more worried about Leicester now but I'm not writing off City just yet.

30 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Any suggestion City need to rebuild their team is laughable.

You say that, but the key figures of their success over the last decade - Kompany, Silva, Aguero, Fernandino are either gone or are getting on a bit and will need replacing soon (they haven't replaced Kompany and look what has happened). Neil made a point about how hard it is to continue competing at such a high level and eventually all the great teams lose their intensity after a few years. The shelf life tends to be about 5-6 years before they slip back and others catch up to them.

Fergie understood this, which is why in their 20 years of dominance there were three or four different United teams.

Edited by Hugh Jass

15 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

You say that, but the key figures of their success over the last decade - Kompany, Silva, Aguero, Fernandino are either gone or are getting on a bit and will need replacing soon (they haven't replaced Kompany and look what has happened). Neil made a point about how hard it is to continue competing at such a high level and eventually all the great teams lose their intensity after a few years. The shelf life tends to be about 5-6 years before they slip back and others catch up to them.

Fergie understood this, which is why in their 20 years of dominance there were three or four different United teams.

I would argue that David Silva has effectively been preemptively replaced. And Yaya's already gone and been moved on from. Laporte is Kompany's replacement, but he looks to have similar injury problems to latter day Kompany.

I was very surprised they didn't sign a major name DM to replace Fernandinho though.

2 minutes ago, kaosmark2 said:

I would argue that David Silva has effectively been preemptively replaced. And Yaya's already gone and been moved on from. Laporte is Kompany's replacement, but he looks to have similar injury problems to latter day Kompany.

I was very surprised they didn't sign a major name DM to replace Fernandinho though.

Forgot about Yaya

Laporte was playing with Kompany last season - Pep doesn't seem to fancy Stones or Otamendi so I'm surprised that they didn't buy another CB when Kompany left. Laporte's injury has been massive for them.

Teams never dominate forever, even the great Barca/Spain teams only really dominated for a six year spell 08-14.

22 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Forgot about Yaya

Laporte was playing with Kompany last season - Pep doesn't seem to fancy Stones or Otamendi so I'm surprised that they didn't buy another CB when Kompany left. Laporte's injury has been massive for them.

Teams never dominate forever, even the great Barca/Spain teams only really dominated for a six year spell 08-14.

Well yeah, but often the protege plays with the old one for a season or two before the baton is firmly passed. I think Otamendi is fine alongside Laporte, but he can't lead the defense without him. There's a big difference between a quality and capable centre back, and a quality capable centre back who can also lead the defense.

I don't disagree that teams never dominate forever, time will tell whether Pep wants to continue with the rebuild or not.

Your lot are doing pretty nicely this season. Goals getting shared around as well.

21 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

you're all forgotting that they need someone who can put in the net, and I'm not meaning getting a hattrick against a make-up-the-numbers team.

Not even a City fan but I'll bite in defence of an absent @eastynh... 

1. He hasn't banged 20 a season because he's been back up to Aguero who probably has another two seasons at this level easily so I wouldn't be so quick to write him off
  2. If Jesus was playing for Liverpool instead of another Brazilian forward you'd be singing his praises (over four seasons he's scored 32 goals from 4000 mins, Bobby's only scored 10 more in 9700 mins)
  3. Last year he only played for a combined total of 108 mins against the rest of the top 6 but in the 2018 title winning season he scored against Arsenal, Spurs and twice against Liverpool who definitely made up the numbers that day

1 hour ago, kaosmark2 said:

Well yeah, but often the protege plays with the old one for a season or two before the baton is firmly passed. I think Otamendi is fine alongside Laporte, but he can't lead the defense without him. There's a big difference between a quality and capable centre back, and a quality capable centre back who can also lead the defense.

I don't disagree that teams never dominate forever, time will tell whether Pep wants to continue with the rebuild or not.

Your lot are doing pretty nicely this season. Goals getting shared around as well.

WE are doing very nicely thanks, almost slightly depressing to think we 'll be back struggling next year.

City have scored more goals than anyone else in the country. Scoring goals is not the problem. 

Playing such a high line with such slow defenders is the issue. Otamendi is coming to the end of his tenure, Stones is abysmal at present and we have severe issues at left back. Added to the fact we have had to play Fernandinho at cb, it has weakened the midfield as well.

14 minutes ago, jyoung said:

Not even a City fan but I'll bite in defence of an absent @eastynh... 

1. He hasn't banged 20 a season because he's been back up to Aguero who probably has another two seasons at this level easily so I wouldn't be so quick to write him off
  2. If Jesus was playing for Liverpool instead of another Brazilian forward you'd be singing his praises (over four seasons he's scored 32 goals from 4000 mins, Bobby's only scored 10 more in 9700 mins)
  3. Last year he only played for a combined total of 108 mins against the rest of the top 6 but in the 2018 title winning season he scored against Arsenal, Spurs and twice against Liverpool who definitely made up the numbers that day

I don't think a comparison with Bobby means much. They're on the pitch to do different things.

But anyway, I wasn't thinking only of Jesus, I was thinking all of their attackers except Aguero - because none of them are Aguero.

If you like, that's less of a criticism of the other attackers and more of an acknowledgement of how good Aguero is, because he's exceptional. The others are just very good, and that's a step down in quality.

5 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I don't think a comparison with Bobby means much. They're on the pitch to do different things.

But anyway, I wasn't thinking only of Jesus, I was thinking all of their attackers except Aguero - because none of them are Aguero.

If you like, that's less of a criticism of the other attackers and more of an acknowledgement of how good Aguero is, because he's exceptional. The others are just very good, and that's a step down in quality.

Sterling has done pretty well for himself last couple of years.

36 minutes ago, eastynh said:

City have scored more goals than anyone else in the country. Scoring goals is not the problem. 

Playing such a high line with such slow defenders is the issue. Otamendi is coming to the end of his tenure, Stones is abysmal at present and we have severe issues at left back. Added to the fact we have had to play Fernandinho at cb, it has weakened the midfield as well.

Was amazed how quickly and easily Utd bypassed the City midfield and got into Citys box playing fairly basic counter attack football.