Football 19/20

thetime

This season will stand for nothing. All of it gets wiped. It’s really the perfect result for some clubs. Those in the relegation dog fights are breathing one big collective sigh of relief.

of course the the likes of the Pool and Leeds will be livid...

I really do find it a remarkable stat that a club will have lost two league games in two seasons and have no title to show for it.... There will be many a new chants from rival fans about this in future meetings.... 😬

think some find this even more glorious than the Micheal Thomas goal or Stevie G slip.... 😳

I’m sure I read somewhere (although I fear it may have been Twitter) that once you reach 75% of games played if for any reason the season can’t continue then the final results stand. Shit for all involved as we’ll have won the league but will always have that * next to our name. Team in the bottom 3 rightly pissed off.

Same all the way down the league for people chasing promotion or battling relegation.

I also heard it suggested they ma continue in summer with the Euros moving to 2021.

Complete and utter minefield currently.

1 hour ago, DareToDibble said:

I’m sure I read somewhere (although I fear it may have been Twitter) that once you reach 75% of games played if for any reason the season can’t continue then the final results stand. Shit for all involved as we’ll have won the league but will always have that * next to our name. Team in the bottom 3 rightly pissed off.

Same all the way down the league for people chasing promotion or battling relegation.

I also heard it suggested they ma continue in summer with the Euros moving to 2021.

Complete and utter minefield currently.

Theres a few options

1. Stop the league now as if the season is over,  places on current standings. LFC win, Leeds win, Villa go down despite having a game in hand etc. 

2. Reschedule the remaining games for the summer if the Euros are cancelled/push the Euros back a few weeks/play games either side of the Euros.

3. Play offs. Teams in the promotion/relegation/European spots play off somehow.

4. Bin the season and start again in August. 

Any of these options will bring resistance from teams. Villa won't accept relegation, Utd won't accept 5th, Bristol, Milwall etc won't take not getting in the playoffs, whoever is in League 2 won't accept dropping out of the football league and so on. Its a mess. 

17 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Theres a few options

1. Stop the league now as if the season is over,  places on current standings. LFC win, Leeds win, Villa go down despite having a game in hand etc. 

they'd have to even things up so that everyone has played the same number of gasmes, surely? So that those who've played more have the most recent games chopped off.

2. Reschedule the remaining games for the summer if the Euros are cancelled/push the Euros back a few weeks/play games either side of the Euros.

3. Play offs. Teams in the promotion/relegation/European spots play off somehow.

4. Bin the season and start again in August. 

Any of these options will bring resistance from teams. Villa won't accept relegation, Utd won't accept 5th, Bristol, Milwall etc won't take not getting in the playoffs, whoever is in League 2 won't accept dropping out of the football league and so on. Its a mess. 

do you think Utd would be happier with another year in the Europa, then? In 5th they'd be in the CL. :P 

It's a mess whatever they do. At least this would be a mess based on current form and not long-ago form.

Edited by eFestivals

36 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

they'd have to even things up so that everyone has played the same number of gasmes, surely? So that those who've played more have the most recent games chopped off.

do you think Utd would be happier with another year in the Europa, then? In 5th they'd be in the CL. :P 

It's a mess whatever they do. At least this would be a mess based on current form and not long-ago form.

When do Villa play the game in hand? 

Yeah we've also to consider City's appeal too. Throw that in there. Do Liverpool just get awarded the league but no parade or fans in the ground? A league awarded on paper. After a 30 year wait. That's shite. It's a real mess alright. 

3 minutes ago, The Nal said:

When do Villa play the game in hand? 

I'd say they don't, but those who've played more have the most recent games shaved off so they have the same number of games as Villa.

Yeah we've also to consider City's appeal too. Throw that in there. Do Liverpool just get awarded the league but no parade or fans in the ground? A league awarded on paper. After a 30 year wait. That's shite. It's a real mess alright. 

it's shit, tho I reckon they'd think it more shit not to have the title at all. But that's an easy one really, because it's uncontentious.

It's the ones around the bottom I feel sorry for the most (sorry for different teams depending what the Prem chooses to do).

24 minutes ago, Comfy Bean said:

Agreed. A break, then play on at the expense of the euros.

I presumed that was going to be Plan A tbf, assuming there is an ease of this whole sorry mess by May that's good enough to get some games on, or at least played behind closed doors. The whispers do indicate Euro 2020 is not happening, or at least this year, so that would give us some leeway.

Voiding the entire season and starting over would be such a shit solution, but I'm aware it may reach the point that there is no alternative.

3 hours ago, jyoung said:

Personally can't see games back up and running in two weeks. I'd expect it to be at least a month maybe before we're even close to another PL game. There are bigger fish to fry right now.

Try 4 months. I reckon theyre out until July.

This is going to be a test of financial fair play which was designed for a sector of the economy with stable or rising revenue. Its going to be alot more tricky not allowing outside investment when revenues are going to be falling from no ticket sales or tv money.

1 hour ago, lost said:

This is going to be a test of financial fair play which was designed for a sector of the economy with stable or rising revenue. Its going to be alot more tricky not allowing outside investment when revenues are going to be falling from no ticket sales or tv money.

Bit ironic really that with no debt, being financially sustainable and with us not relying on ticket sales with us playing to an empty stadium anyway, City are perfectly placed to ride this storm out. Good job we have FFP in place to protect the most financially vulnerable teams amongst us. 

As much as I dislike Liverpool, the ideal scenario here is that we get through this quickly, leaving Liverpool plenty of time to go on and win the title on the pitch. Somethings are much more important than football and the quicker we get back to normal the better..

I would have no issues giving Liverpool the title if the season can not finish. They have been the best team. There is no pride in City keeping hold of the title because a global pandemic wiped a shit load of people out and denied Liverpool winning it.

What happens in regards to relegation and Champions league places is the issue. No team in the bottom 3 is going to accept relegation with so many games to play. It would open up so many legal issues.

Personally I think the season will be voided. Its not just the Premier League, there is the FA Cup and Champions League to consider. City could still have potentially 17 games left to play this season, its jut not going to happen. It has to be all or nothing really.

Ideally, we can somehow get through all this quickly. Cancel the EURO's till next summer and lets get the season completed.

Edit - One thing I did have bit of a chuckle at is the fact Klopp has whinged constantly since being in this country about too many games and not having a break. If we had not have had a winter break this season, Liverpool would probably be champions now.

Edited by eastynh
  • Upvote 1

Can definitely compress the timeline of the remaining games. 

I know Leeds will be happy playing 2 games a week. Would actually give them a bit more of a rest. 

9 games left in the championship. Can do that in 4 weeks easily. Would be a shame if the games are behind closed doors. 

Like Liverpool though, there will be no way of keeping our fans off the streets to celebrate the win. Even if the fans aren’t in the stadium, they will be in close proximity. 

No only games games played! 

I just checked. The league was suspended in September just as the war broke out. 

Completely different situation here. If this had happened at the start of the season then cancelling the season makes sense. With the vast majority of the games already played it’s a lot trickier to deal with.