Glasto hacks 2.0

Jne___

On 5/2/2019 at 2:23 AM, frostypaw said:

This is my number 1 tip for a pleasant and happy festival if it's hot, you're drinking and having fun -  you will sweat and lose salts and a lot of the grumpy tired and hangover is not lack of sugar or water but lack of salt. Sugar gives a bit of a burst but it's not the same and straight table salt isn't the answer.

Dioralyte is also not quite the answer - those are for after diarrhoea and while they'll workish it's expensive, the proper electrolyte fizzy drink tabs are nice but also kinda dear, gunk things up and like the diarolyte has to be taken as one big dose.

Best thing I've found is these guys https://www.amazon.co.uk/Elete-ELE-001-25ml-Pocket-Bottle/dp/B003VJTMI8/ref=asc_df_B003VJTMI8/ - bit of random find on holiday but they're brilliant and solve all the issues.

The advantage is it's drops so you can make up any volume/strength you want or even just put it in your cider or a snack. There's no extra tablet junk or fizz or flavour so it's barely noticable and works in bladders/bottles/whatever without gunk and keeping your salts up in advance reduces how much water you need to drink.

Try some sort of electrolyte thing though, the sports folk doing their sweating aren't fools and you'll be happier for it.

Also regular pooping is your friend - try and program yourself into a daytime habit and go somewhere not so busy and it can all be peaceful and fine. It's ending up somewhere not optimal cos you've been putting it off that'll getcha.

Given the risk of potential heat (or not!) and a real need to stay properly hydrated I figured I'd bump this. I've just ordered some. Thanks Frosty! 

• Upvote 1

On 6/22/2019 at 8:39 AM, calamitymaud said:

Best way of keeping cans cold-ish if its hot?

Have put them under the porch groundsheet in the past but interested in any other suggestions...

For walking around, there isn't really a practical one afaik. Maybe try wrapping in a damp cloth and letting evaporate (in the shade)?

Or maybe get a waterproof bag and fill with water and ice from a vendor if you're setting up a little camp at a low key show..?

Personally, what I do is alternate getting bar bought ones every now and then as they'll be cold. But then again, I don't mind not-cold beer/cider as long as it isn't too warm/actually hot.

• Upvote 1

However flexible you think you may be,  you really aren't bendy enough to suncream your own back properly. Got a bit cocky in the garden yesterday! 

So mainly for the chaps because, you know, we're idiots like that...if you must go taps aaf make sure you get a mate to do your back. No point getting all masculine about letting another dude rub stuff on you, just get it done!

1 hour ago, Ddiamondd said:

Does anyone have recommendations for handheld mini-fans? Girlfriend Glaswegian and sees "28C" as a threat rather than a joy.

I've got one of these, charges with usb, lasts for ages and mists water at you!    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01HI31AOQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2 hours ago, Mozzer79 said:

Foil blankets: Does anyone know if there are any shops that sell them instore? 

Given the potential heat, I need some soon!

Decathlon and Go Outdoors both do them. 

We bought 4 and are going to try pegging them to the top of the inner bedroom tent bit, so it forms a barrier between the inner and outer tent. Will have to see how much they rattle about though, don't want to piss everyone around us of with constant crinkling.

12 minutes ago, mazola said:

Decathlon and Go Outdoors both do them. 

We bought 4 and are going to try pegging them to the top of the inner bedroom tent bit, so it forms a barrier between the inner and outer tent. Will have to see how much they rattle about though, don't want to piss everyone around us of with constant crinkling.

Ingenius! Thanks to you and all others that replied. Much appreciated. Have a wicked time next weekend 

25 minutes ago, deebeedoobee said:

Ahh I didn’t know that. I knew I hadn’t seen a millets for ages. 

I've just been in one, 5 minutes ago - I should have brought a stick with me and reported on the state of the place ?

Just to remind fowks... If you want a lost phone back get the number you want called to stuck on the phone. If the phone dies and makes it's way to lost property. They won't charge it. Goes in a bin full of uncharged phones. 

As in some kind of sticker. Yeah knows 

Edited by elbongo

Just spent ~90 mins reading all 39 pages of this. Thanks all. My key takeaways:

1. Leave beer under groundsheet
  2. Leave water in binbag in sun to get warm shower water
  3. Half a loo roll with inner tube removed easier to carry around than a full one
  4. Add time to whatsapp messages to reduce confusion
  5. Tape up beer crates to minimise disintegration

Not long to go!

4 minutes ago, harderfaster said:

Just spent ~90 mins reading all 39 pages of this. Thanks all. My key takeaways:

1. Leave beer under groundsheet
  2. Leave water in binbag in sun to get warm shower water
  3. Half a loo roll with inner tube removed easier to carry around than a full one
  4. Add time to whatsapp messages to reduce confusion
  5. Tape up beer crates to minimise disintegration

Not long to go!

Scrap No.3, pocket tissues are the way to go. 

This might me a bit late now, but I remembered a good tip when I was packing tonight.

When you are using loo rolls at home, replace them when they are half gone, and put the old one in your Glasto pile.

This way you can have a stash of half rolls instead of full ones, which you can flatten and fit in your pocket.

Now you can go for your early morning shit without letting everyone you pass on the way know what you are up to.

edit: Bollocks, just saw @harderfaster beat me to it.

Edited by mazola
i should read more better