jyoung

Quite surprised to see how low down they are on the poster after all the talk about a possible Other headline slot. If they play JP it will be my first time seeing any act in that tent (after sacrificing London Grammar to a clash the other year). It does seem to be a tent that allows for an atmosphere much more than outside stages can manage. Would be a good venue. 

I saw them in Brixton last April and it was one of the worst gigs I've been to in a long while. The sound was horrendous, which is unusual for Brixton Academy so I’m not sure what the issue was? I was gutted as I’d been looking forward to the gig since the previous October when the tickets were released.

Wherever they play, I truly hope the sound is much better. If they’re clashing with any of my must-sees, I think I’ll end up giving them a miss based on this past experience.

Has anyone seen them on the most recent tour? Thoughts?

Edited by StLewi

1 hour ago, Mardy said:

Hopefully not clashing with Stormzy on the Friday. That's my main worry.

I really can't see the festival taking a risk in having a UK rapper with as of now one album headline, then have another UK rapper on at the same time, headlining another main stage. Appreciate there's a slight generation and genre difference, but given the usual lack of hip hop headliners it would make no sense. Same goes for Wu Tang. Would suggest subbing Wu Tang makes a bit of sense but hasn't Neil suggested someone else is doing that? 

Sunday JPT headliner makes most sense. Then again the festival clashed Radiohead and Flaming Lips so fuck knows.

Judging by who are supposed to be Other headliners and where they are on the poster i'm now thinking they are Pyramid sub or Other Sub. Can't see them headlining John Peel as they are surely too big for that. I'd like to see them clashes permitting. 

19 minutes ago, Doug85 said:

Judging by who are supposed to be Other headliners and where they are on the poster i'm now thinking they are Pyramid sub or Other Sub. Can't see them headlining John Peel as they are surely too big for that. I'd like to see them clashes permitting. 

I'm not doubting you here, and I'm notoriously shit at estimating the appeal of acts, but if The Streets are too big for a venue the size of the JP tent, then that split up/reform trick is stronger than I'd imagined!

3 minutes ago, fatyeti24 said:

I'm not doubting you here, and I'm notoriously shit at estimating the appeal of acts, but if The Streets are too big for a venue the size of the JP tent, then that split up/reform trick is stronger than I'd imagined!

Same! i thought i'd be able to get tickets for them no problem but they kept selling out every venue on the tour and seems to be bit of a crowd wanting to see them at Glastonbury too so i'm basing my estimate on that. They could very well do John Peel though however it would be rammed IMO so more likely one of the others

1 hour ago, StLewi said:

I saw them in Brixton last April and it was one of the worst gigs I've been to in a long while. The sound was horrendous, which is unusual for Brixton Academy so I’m not sure what the issue was? I was gutted as I’d been looking forward to the gig since the previous October when the tickets were released.

Wherever they play, I truly hope the sound is much better. If they’re clashing with any of my must-sees, I think I’ll end up giving them a miss based on this past experience.

Saw them at Brixton this year and they were brilliant! Great atmosphere and Skinner was on great form

49 minutes ago, Doug85 said:

Pyramid sub?? You’ve seen where they are on the poster right? Also TDCC are one of the other subs and they’re much lower than them too. 

3 minutes ago, sisco said:

Pyramid sub?? You’ve seen where they are on the poster right? Also TDCC are one of the other subs and they’re much lower than them too. 

Just suggesting they could do it, I do however think its more likely it will be Other Sub. Very similar listing to Emeli Sande in 2017 or Chvrches in 2016. The placing on the poster doesn't mean everything unless you are Janet Jackson of course. 

17 minutes ago, Doug85 said:

Just suggesting they could do it, I do however think its more likely it will be Other Sub. Very similar listing to Emeli Sande in 2017 or Chvrches in 2016. The placing on the poster doesn't mean everything unless you are Janet Jackson of course. 

Fair enough.  Personally think the other subs are TDCC, Christine and the Queens and 1 other (Jorja smith big enough??).  Even think the likes of Snow Patrol are more likely.  

I’m thinking The Streets for JP header.  Hmm is there a possibility of West Holts header? (Although they’re also lower than Janelle Monae and Wu Tang Clan)

2 hours ago, StLewi said:

Wherever they play, I truly hope the sound is much better

Wouldn't have a problem on West Holts because the sound bangs in that field.

3 hours ago, Rubber Soldier said:

Saturday headliner somewhere would be amazing. Going by the poster and rumours I’m lacking one this year. 

Not about that Wu Tang clash.

4 hours ago, kalifire said:

Quite surprised to see how low down they are on the poster after all the talk about a possible Other headline slot. If they play JP it will be my first time seeing any act in that tent (after sacrificing London Grammar to a clash the other year). It does seem to be a tent that allows for an atmosphere much more than outside stages can manage. Would be a good venue. 

Yeah I reckon it would go off in the tent. I've had some v enjoyable moments in there to be fair. Not a fan of the trek to and fro tho.

2 hours ago, StLewi said:

I saw them on the tour last April, thought it was really good? I find Brixton to be one of the worst venues in London for sound and didn't think it was too bad for The Streets. The performance was great though, and the setlist was wall-to-wall bangers, so they will smash it wherever they play at Glastonbury.

I've just been having a look at the poster again to try and make some sort of sense of it. They're around the same level as some of the talked about Park and JP headliners. But then you look at the likes of Jungle and Interpol and they are way down and they'll probably be subbing West Holts and John Peel respectively. 

The only other slot I've been thinking is somewhere on the Pyramid in the late afternoon early evening. 

I just cant see them playing on the back of the hype of them coming back, selling about 12 nights at Brixton within 12 months and not being in a big slot so to speak. 

1 hour ago, Matt - Ed Banger Records said:

I saw them on the tour last April, thought it was really good? I find Brixton to be one of the worst venues in London for sound and didn't think it was too bad for The Streets. The performance was great though, and the setlist was wall-to-wall bangers, so they will smash it wherever they play at Glastonbury.

Tbh I seen them 3 times over the last 3 tours (all in Manchester) and the sound/musically wasn't exactly the best, but the atmosphere more than makes up for it, hope the crowd in glasto can match there energy.

Any reason they couldn’t be the Friday West Holts headliner? Not looked at their tour dates so might be booked up for that day, but pretty sure that’s where a lot of people were placing them before all the Pyramid sub/Other headliner stuff started up. Although guess a return to topping JP makes just as much sense - don’t really see any other realistic places they could go now with the top of Other and Pyramid seeming pretty full.

17 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Any reason they couldn’t be the Friday West Holts headliner? Not looked at their tour dates so might be booked up for that day, but pretty sure that’s where a lot of people were placing them before all the Pyramid sub/Other headliner stuff started up. Although guess a return to topping JP makes just as much sense - don’t really see any other realistic places they could go now with the top of Other and Pyramid seeming pretty full.

Yeah they certainly seem to be the 2 options.  

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

Guess not. Would like to see Tame Impala but I'd be at The Streets headlining West Holts in a flash if this were the case. Didn't catch anyone there in 2017 but have fond memories of James Blake headline set in 2016 so would definitely fancy a return. Some people on here seem to think it would be impossible for Stormzy and The Streets to clash but I don't really read into any of that.

Edited by jyoung

Absolutely love their albums particularly OPM but gotta say when I've seen them they've been poor.

It was a few years ago once at the Bristol academy and once at queens square supporting massive attack. Both times they just sounded shite.

Hopefully they've improved their act since coming back ‐ most of the reviews I've read that certainly seems to be the case. I'd love to watch them at Glastonbury mainly for nostalgia and they have some banging tracks and i can see them playing on the JP. The tent would be rammed and an amazing atmosphere but hope they do it justice.