2020 headliners

jj200

8 minutes ago, Odessa said:

Am I literally the only person on earth who enjoyed ELO's set?

I thought it was pretty good. Not the party that people want from these things but they were ultimately good songs performed well, but in unfortunate weather conditions.

I think The Kinks probably wouldn’t be as kitsch as people like. That would perhaps go down poorly in the field as well.

Edited by dentalplan

9 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I thought it was pretty good. Not the party that people want from these things but they were ultimately good songs performed well, but in unfortunate weather conditions.

I think The Kinks probably wouldn’t be as kitsch as people like. That would perhaps go down poorly in the field as well.

Ray Davies smashed it out the park in 2010 but that was pre-Dolly turning it into the kitsch legend slot. He also benefitted from the Football being a great idiot hoover.

• Upvote 1

Skimming back a few pages, Ronson's Other set was, and it surprised me as much as anyone, absolutely jumping.  Proper good. But....

I would question whether an artist whose work relies so heavily on collaborations is a Pyramid headliner.  Maybe another one to add to the litmus tests: doe their work stand up without guest appearances?

I don't know if Ronson's would. But that finale of Uptown Funk with George Clinton, Grandmaster Flash and Mary J Blige was absolute fucking gold.

18 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

The Kinks have far more recognisable tunes than ELO though where you felt most people were just waiting in the rain for Mr Blue Sky.

Sunny Afternoon, Lola, Waterloo Sunset, All Day/Night, You Really Got Me, Dedicated Follower, Dead End Street, Everybody's Gonna Be Happy, Victoria.... There's enough there to make a set that even casual followers (of fashion) can enjoy.

4 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

The Kinks have far more recognisable tunes than ELO though where you felt most people were just waiting in the rain for Mr Blue Sky.

Sunny Afternoon, Lola, Waterloo Sunset, All Day/Night, You Really Got Me, Dedicated Follower, Dead End Street, Everybody's Gonna Be Happy, Victoria.... There's enough there to make a set that even casual followers (of fashion) can enjoy.

They could play Sunny Afternoon and Waterloo Sunset on loop for an hour and I'd go away fulfilled.

32 minutes ago, Odessa said:

Am I literally the only person on earth who enjoyed ELO's set?

I enjoyed it as it was exactly what I thought they would deliver, a professional live reproduction of their most popular songs! 

They are legends but following Dolly/Lionel the spot now requires an act that has an outsize persona and flamboyant show to keep the punters happy!  Not mr Jeff Lynne.

Plus the weather was pants! 

8 minutes ago, Quark said:

Skimming back a few pages, Ronson's Other set was, and it surprised me as much as anyone, absolutely jumping.  Proper good. But....

I would question whether an artist whose work relies so heavily on collaborations is a Pyramid headliner.  Maybe another one to add to the litmus tests: doe their work stand up without guest appearances?

I don't know if Ronson's would. But that finale of Uptown Funk with George Clinton, Grandmaster Flash and Mary J Blige was absolute fucking gold.

I'd say with a suitable bunch of stand-in singers it could be quite good. I loved Rudimental before their show got rained off in 2014 bc of a thunderstorm, and they didn't have Emeli Sande or John Newman up there with them, or at least I don't think they did, it was five yrs ago now

Just now, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

I'd say with a suitable bunch of stand-in singers it could be quite good. I loved Rudimental before their show got rained off in 2014 bc of a thunderstorm, and they didn't have Emeli Sande or John Newman up there with them, or at least I don't think they did, it was five yrs ago now

Quite good yep, but maybe not Pyramid headliner good.

11 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Days, Well Respected Man, Tired of Waiting.. it really is amazing just how many widely known and loved songs they have and I think if they were announced people would remember that pretty quickly. Regardless of whether it's headline or legend, after 25 years away the place would be absolutely packed.

The Sunday afternoon kitsch factor is interesting. Realistically how much further can they go?

Most of the really successful performers in that slot have had something beyond being “so bad they’re good”. Dolly is a genuinely great song writer and has had a long career with cross-generational appeal. Lionel also had more than one period of real success and so again had a broad fan-base. Kylie has become an LGBT+ icon and again, had a very successful second period broadening her appeal.

However, how many more artists are there like that really? How long before you end up with someone irredeemably bad? Perhaps a few years off of the kitsch may be a good thing. 

9 minutes ago, Quark said:

Quite good yep, but maybe not Pyramid headliner good.

Yeah, agree, I don't think Ronson has the current popularity to headline the Pyramid, more just a comment on singers stepping in for collaborations etc. I would have said Rudimental as well a couple of years ago if their other albums had been as good as Home. 

Edited by MEGATRONICMEATWAGON

The Sunday afternoon kitsch factor is interesting. Realistically how much further can they go?

Most of the really successful performers in that slot have had something beyond being “so bad they’re good”. Dolly is a genuinely great song writer and has had a long career with cross-generational appeal. Lionel also had more than one period of real success and so again had a broad fan-base. Kylie has become an LGBT+ icon and again, had a very successful second period broadening her appeal.

However, how many more artists are there like that really? How long before you end up with someone irredeemably bad? Perhaps a few years off of the kitsch may be a good thing. 

5 minutes ago, sadimmock said:

I don't think genre or kitsch appeal matters too much, I think Dolly, Lionel and Kylie were all successes because they "got" it. They embraced the festival and the crowd and above all they looked like they were having a great time themselves up there. It's intangible but also impossible to fake.

Geoff Lyne looked like he was treating it as just another gig.

3 minutes ago, sadimmock said:

There are still plenty of acts tailor-made for that slot to keep it kitsch for a few years yet, one lady in particular 

giphy.gif

Work Bitch booming out across the Pyramid field would out-camp even Dolly’s set.

23 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I don't think genre or kitsch appeal matters too much, I think Dolly, Lionel and Kylie were all successes because they "got" it. They embraced the festival and the crowd and above all they looked like they were having a great time themselves up there. It's intangible but also impossible to fake.

Geoff Lyne looked like he was treating it as just another gig.

Was Paul Simon in the legends slot? I can't remember but if he was, he's the poster boy for not getting it! Such a disappointment, even garfunkel was better in the acoustic tent a few years later