Worst line up in the last 10 years?

Xeph1995

9 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

People expecting rock music at Glastonbury haven’t been paying attention.

What do you mean? there is always usually a few decent rock acts. And I'm not speaking about the usual indie landfill.

6 minutes ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

Just go Download if you want loads of that shite. 

Did you even listen to the link? They are 100% Glastonbury material The Marcus King band are a young contemporary blues/southern rock band.

Edited by Xeph1995

8 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

Glastonbury's "rock" is the same definition you get on places like Absolute Radio - heavyish stuff that has made an impression on the mainstream.

They're not going to give prime Pyramid real estate to some thrashers nobody has heard of because they play "proper rock". Based on what we know Iggy still looks the best bet to me.

7 minutes ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

Just go Download if you want loads of that shite. 

11 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

So much for "Glastonbury is for everyone". 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Xeph1995 said:

What do you mean? there is always usually a few decent rock acts. And I'm not speaking about the usual indie landfill.

Did you even listen to the link? They are 100% Glastonbury material The Marcus King band are a young contemporary blues/southern rock band.

That seems to be the defacto answer if you like a bit of rock not bedwetter radio 1 gash. Apparently if you like a bit of a bounce you must like the crap Download books ad infinitum. 

4 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Glastonbury's "rock" is the same definition you get on places like Absolute Radio - heavyish stuff that has made an impression on the mainstream.

They're not going to give prime Pyramid real estate to some thrashers nobody has heard of because they play "proper rock". Based on what we know Iggy still looks the best bet to me.

Iggy Pop is on my wishlist, that would be great. John Fogerty back would also be a treat. 

5 minutes ago, MEGABOWL said:

It’s now called ‘Festival of Contenporary Performing Arts that aren’t covered at Download’

Why are you being like that? No one is expecting Glastonbury to be 100% Rock but have you forgotten bands like The Pixies, Smashing Pumpkins, Dinosaur Jr have all played in recent years? just to name a few...

Literally go back and look at Previous line ups..

There usually some "Bluesy" Rock bands somewhere on the bill.

Again this is the first wave with more to come. 

Edited by Xeph1995

For me it's an okay lineup, quite a few acts I want to see but no one that I would HAVE to see, except maybe the Cure. So I quite like the idea of wandering around with friends and listening to new acts or acts I like that I turn out to love after seeing them live. Mega excited! 

3 minutes ago, MEGABOWL said:

It’s now called ‘Festival of Contenporary Performing Arts that aren’t covered at Download’

When did I ask for it to be Download? The only band I'd see at Download are The Smashing Pumpkins and they've been at Glastonbury before. Maybe Tool as well. 

Why does "heavier" = Download or metal only? 

Just now, Xeph1995 said:

Why are you being like that? No one is expecting Glastonbury to be 100% Rock but have you forgotten bands like The Pixies, Smashing Pumpkins, Dinosaur Jr have all played in recent years? just to name a few...

I wouldn't get upset. This is a forum where people trash bands like The Strokes and Kasabian, whilst raving about Sheryl Crow and Miley Cyrus. Thankfully the opinion of the average Glastonbury-goer is radically different.

• Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, Xeph1995 said:

Exactly. 

Just now, Anarion said:

I wouldn't get upset. This is a forum where people trash bands like The Strokes and Kasabian, whilst raving about Sheryl Crow and Miley Cyrus. Thankfully the opinion of the average Glastonbury-goer is radically different.

Not so sure about that. I saw Thurston Moore play to the worst crowd ever and Katy Perry had one of the biggest of the festival last time. 

1 minute ago, Chinaski_ said:

Not so sure about that. I saw Thurston Moore play to the worst crowd ever and Katy Perry had one of the biggest of the festival last time.

Well, Katy Perry was one of the world's biggest pop artists at the time. Sheryl Crow has a cover of Sweet Child O' Mine as her second most popular song on Spotify, which has to be the lamest thing of all time.

3 minutes ago, Xeph1995 said:

You do have a point here, tbf. Hopefully in the next round we'll see some names with a harder edge.

As it's a subject very close to Emily's heart I'm of the opinion that the festival made a conscious effort that the initial poster showed a 50/50 gender split. Whatever anyone thinks about that is a matter for another thread but maybe that didn't allow them room to announce many of the other acts currently booked? 

Maybe their problem this year was publishing the initial poster too early? It's at least two weeks early this year and around 20 names lighter than usual. Who knows, give it another month and we might have seen some heavier names on it? 

3 minutes ago, Anarion said:

Well, Katy Perry was one of the world's biggest pop artists at the time. Sheryl Crow has a cover of Sweet Child O' Mine as her second most popular song on Spotify, which has to be the lamest thing of all time.

I think the only song of hers I've heard was All I Wanna Do and that was from 94/95. 

In 2017 I saw Thurston Moore, Dropkick Murphys, Ride, Dead Kennedys who I say are "heavier". So this idea that the festival must be exactly like Download if you find it MOR/bland is strange. Then again if The Killers and Friendly Fires are supposed to excite rock fans no wonder crowds are dead these days. 

Iggy

Weezer - playing London on the weekend of Glastonbury

An old school punk band 

Plus the Earache stage stuff 

Off the top of my head they'd go down well and get the crowds moving, while also adding a bit more noise. 

I think maybe we were spoiled for a few years, but the last 3 Glastonbury I've seen Funkadelic/Parliment, Earth Wind and Fire and The Jacksons at west holts and this year seems to be lacking a really funky/disco kinda band to grove too on one of the nights. Kool and the Gang a few years back. 

Maybe we had it good for too long. 

Edited by Xeph1995
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Xeph1995 said:

I think maybe we were spoiled for a few years, but the last 3 Glastonbury I've seen Funkadelic/Parliment, Earth Wind and Fire and The Jacksons at west holts and this year seems to be lacking a really funky/disco kinda band to grove too on one of the nights.  

How do you know?

Best guesses are that we're missing at least one, possibly as many as three of the Other & west Holts headliners from this poster.

11 minutes ago, Chinaski_ said:

In 2017 I saw Thurston Moore, Dropkick Murphys, Ride, Dead Kennedys who I say are "heavier". 

Of which only Ride where on the original poster.  If you're expecting a handful of heavier acts you'll be fine if you want lots of them dominating the first poster release then Glastonbury is never going to have that.