The Volunteering thread 2019

FestiZebra

Hi guys. I couldn't find any info on the search bar and the information on the 3 hour long training video I've just watched was very vague.. so I'm a traffic steward inside the festival, first shift at 9pm Wednesday. 

In going to arrive at around 6am Wednesday Morning and I've been told to go to orange gate. Can I get there easy, I've been given no car park pass ? It says about finding their site hut near gate d on arrival. 

Does anyone know if I'm camped outside or the big one inside ? 

Am I free to come and go as much as I like in and out of the festival? They talk about being able to claim food vouchers inside so i assume that's the case.

Do you get wristbands or tickets on arrival ? I dont want to arrive at 6am and not be able to get into festival after my 1st shift once I've woken up say 2pm Thursday. If I was to arrive early Tuesday I hears you can get on site Tuesday and even some staff bars are open, so if I come Tuesday could I get in on my EPO ?! 

It's all a bit confusing. 

EDIT.. I also read that the hut may close at 9pm Tuesday so if I roll up at 10pm how do I get in and set up ?!

Edited by kaisherz

3 minutes ago, Pipine said:

OMG I just got a stewarding place with Oxfam!  Thank you to all you lovely people who suggested the web monitoring.. I can't believe I'm actually going!  

Congrats! Persistence ??

55 minutes ago, Pipine said:

OMG I just got a stewarding place with Oxfam!  Thank you to all you lovely people who suggested the web monitoring.. I can't believe I'm actually going!  

Get in! You must be over the moon.

Oxfam saved the day for so many of us this year,.

Over the moon is an understatement!  I just spoke with Oxfam, my training is online, got to get myself from the train station to site on Tuesday as the oxbus is full.. but it'll all be fine I'm sure :)

I'm just stunned I'm actually going :))

I'll be on my own so hoping to catch up with some other people off this thread who are volunteering for Oxfam and on their own.  

Edited by Pipine
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, kaisherz said:

Hi guys. I couldn't find any info on the search bar and the information on the 3 hour long training video I've just watched was very vague.. so I'm a traffic steward inside the festival, first shift at 9pm Wednesday. 

In going to arrive at around 6am Wednesday Morning and I've been told to go to orange gate. Can I get there easy, I've been given no car park pass ? It says about finding their site hut near gate d on arrival. 

Does anyone know if I'm camped outside or the big one inside ? 

Am I free to come and go as much as I like in and out of the festival? They talk about being able to claim food vouchers inside so i assume that's the case.

Do you get wristbands or tickets on arrival ? I dont want to arrive at 6am and not be able to get into festival after my 1st shift once I've woken up say 2pm Thursday. If I was to arrive early Tuesday I hears you can get on site Tuesday and even some staff bars are open, so if I come Tuesday could I get in on my EPO ?! 

It's all a bit confusing. 

EDIT.. I also read that the hut may close at 9pm Tuesday so if I roll up at 10pm how do I get in and set up ?!

If you turn up after the hut is shut you'll have to wait until the morning when it opens again. A friend missed the opening hours one year and had to sleep in her car overnight. 

3 hours ago, Pipine said:

Over the moon is an understatement!  I just spoke with Oxfam, my training is online, got to get myself from the train station to site on Tuesday as the oxbus is full.. but it'll all be fine I'm sure :)

I'm just stunned I'm actually going :))

I'll be on my own so hoping to catch up with some other people off this thread who are volunteering for Oxfam and on their own.  

Are you on the Facebook oxfam page? There’s a group for solo volunteers too. 

3 hours ago, Tent Peg said:

If you turn up after the hut is shut you'll have to wait until the morning when it opens again. A friend missed the opening hours one year and had to sleep in her car overnight.  

Thanks mate. It's all a bit of a shit storm atm. No info on not evening having a car parking pass! I know I'm a late arrival but this is crazy.

This is amazing. I got my Oxfam place on the day they were released, but I'm already stressing about next year (I've not managed to get an actual festival ticket for the last few years). I'd love to steward at a second festival to get priority status but I can't really wangle another week off leaving my husband at home with the kids. So hearing about so many people getting places after the initial slots are gone is very reassuring.

1 hour ago, Wurzelcat said:

This is amazing. I got my Oxfam place on the day they were released, but I'm already stressing about next year (I've not managed to get an actual festival ticket for the last few years). I'd love to steward at a second festival to get priority status but I can't really wangle another week off leaving my husband at home with the kids. So hearing about so many people getting places after the initial slots are gone is very reassuring.

If it helps any, Glastonbury is really the only one that needs a Tuesday arrival. Most are Wednesday, and NASS is a Thursday arrival (and only 2 shifts).

A major positive of being a volunteer is we don’t have to worry about popping on to the list ticket thread. Oxfam and others safely have our EPO bands waiting. Excitement levels peaked! See you oxfam folk in the Oxfield and all you other wonderful people on the farm 

Hey, I was just wondering: I’m volunteering for Oxfam this year, and while as a punter I’m an enthusiastic user of the lockups for car keys/full wallets/mobile phones etc, is there anything in the Oxfield similar or am I best to head into the main site and lock it all up there? I’m just desperate not to lose my car keys cos the spares are currently in Greece (!) 

7 minutes ago, Wurzelcat said:

No lock ups in the oxfield but there is one not far from the gate which we are likely to pass several times a day 

There is mobile phone charging in the marquee though

Nice one, ta! 

We were told. Strictly. "You get three bits of luggage. Your tent, your sleeping bag, and your rucksack. That's it. The baggage compartment of the crew coach is only so big. If you bring slabs of beer, I WILL leave them by the side of the road".

Given that:

What type of shit are you going to put in your sleeping bag (in a malicious compliance type way)?

I'm thinking at least my airbed. That'll leave room for that box of CapriSun I just bought.

Anyone know where those who work for JPS Traffic Management are camped? The girl who sorted me the work says staff gates are 24 hours, this lead me to think that it's on site? She told me I could turn up whenever I like - But other people have told me 10PM cut off. Im so confused. Still dont even have a car park ticket