The 1975 2020

Mash011

4 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Mumford & The Lads, Arctics and Kasabian all headlined after their first album, as far as I recall (happy to be corrected, but it won't be far off...). 

No, none of them.. Mumfords and Arctics did it on their second albums but it took Kasabian five albums and ten years 

Edited by Rose-Colored Boy

Just now, Rose-Colored Boy said:

No, none of them.. Mumfords and Arctics did it on their second albums but it took Kasabian five albums and eleven years 

Ha, well at least you know I didn't fact check. Thought Kasabian headlined in either 2005 or 2007? I wasn't there but a few friends went.

Still, 2nd album vs 4th for the other two bands makes my point still stand.

Just now, fightoffyour said:

Ha, well at least you know I didn't fact check. Thought Kasabian headlined in either 2005 or 2007? I wasn't there but a few friends went.

It even took Adèle three albums. Can’t think of a band who did it after one album tbh. Not recently anyway.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

I wouldn't put them in same bin as the courteeners, but they should go into the same one as Bastille. Saw them in (2014?)  and they were absolute toilet. 

Whilst that adds nothing to this discussion, it's all I have.

I saw them in 2013 and they were garbage. A totally different prospect seeing them live since the second album. 

50 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

I think you’re missing my point though mate.

Mumfords, Kasabian, Arctics are the UK based bands which have emerged in the past 15 years and became bona fide festival headliners. Each of the three were heavily criticised as headliners in their outset but all three of the bands were definitely qualified to headline when they did it.

The 1975 are the next UK band to reach national headline level (including Glastonbury). They are criticised for many reasons, some valid. Some don’t like their music and that’s okay - but you can’t say the 1975 aren’t ready to headline. 

After they headline reading this year and debut their festival headline stage show for the BBC to lap up it’s gonna become much clearer.

4 hours ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

The ‘record industry’ spent so long dismissing them that their manager ending up starting an indie label pretty much just for them, and a good half of their songs focus on things like atheism that commercial radio and Simon Cowell wouldn’t touch with a barge pole, but go off I guess 

Look I can see that you’re a big fan and I dont want to piss on your chips.

I just personally find it to be very shallow music. As a reflection of today’s society its pretty great though. Its the love island of music. Popular but with very little artistic merit, unless we all squint our ears and pretend really hard that in being completely vacuous its actually saying something really profound. Which it isnt.

Also the lead singer definitely has nonce vibes.

13 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

Look I can see that you’re a big fan and I dont want to piss on your chips.

I just personally find it to be very shallow music. As a reflection of today’s society its pretty great though. Its the love island of music. Popular but with very little artistic merit, unless we all squint our ears and pretend really hard that in being completely vacuous its actually saying something really profound. Which it isnt.

Also the lead singer definitely has nonce vibes.

Shallow music is everywhere I don’t know why there is gasp horror at another band getting big.

I don’t exactly know why the 1975 get as much flack as they do. I’d rather go to a 1975 concert than a Mumford & Sons concert. 

The fact you called Matt Healy a nonce out of nowhere just stinks of old man complaining about what the kids like. 

Personally for me shallow music is old hat and not that cultural any more. Real music fans like the serious and authentic music that is more relevant and genuine and has authentic talent rather than just phony pop stars. Whatever happened to the good old days with REAL music. I dont want to offend anyone or be so called non PC but music is music and that just isnt pop music like the music that girls like.

16 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Shallow music is everywhere I don’t know why there is gasp horror at another band getting big.

I don’t exactly know why the 1975 get as much flack as they do. I’d rather go to a 1975 concert than a Mumford & Sons concert. 

The fact you called Matt Healy a nonce out of nowhere just stinks of old man complaining about what the kids like. 

I’m younger than Matt Healy by three years. Which is why I say it. A thirty year old man acting like an androgenous 12 year old just reminds me a little of Michael Jackson thats all.

*also the pesty lyrics and what is he doing watching her sleeping

Edited by mattiloy
Reason for asking?

Whilst I find their tunes absolute pish, (especially that petticoat tune) this is a very good interview explaining his battle with drug addiction. He seems a decent guy. Honest. I hope he stays healthy.

I found this after listening to a tune someone recommended in the thread.... not for me clive.

Edited by FuzzyDunlop