Things to do other than the music

RarerThanDandyB

3 minutes ago, Stokesy10 said:

You have made me extremely happy good Sir. Including Grimbergen Blonde?

I’m sure it’s the blonde - is the other one a Dubbel? It’s about 6.5% and I think it was £5.50 a pint last year, which I was hugely happy to pay - that’s so much better than £4.90 for a tuborg at ?% . . . I quite like that it’s only at the t+c bar too, it gives me a chance to make some crafty diversions and get a pint ‘just cos I’m passing’ ?? 

there was a Brooklyn bar next to t+c that had 3 or 4 thoroughly palatable beers too - Scorcher, Summer Ale, Lager and one other that I can’t bloody remember. But those two bars are a wonderful place to find yourself of an afternoon! 

7 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

I’m sure it’s the blonde - is the other one a Dubbel? It’s about 6.5% and I think it was £5.50 a pint last year, which I was hugely happy to pay - that’s so much better than £4.90 for a tuborg at ?% . . . I quite like that it’s only at the t+c bar too, it gives me a chance to make some crafty diversions and get a pint ‘just cos I’m passing’ ?? 

there was a Brooklyn bar next to t+c that had 3 or 4 thoroughly palatable beers too - Scorcher, Summer Ale, Lager and one other that I can’t bloody remember. But those two bars are a wonderful place to find yourself of an afternoon! 

Absolute superb. I shall be frequenting at the earliest opportunity come June. Cheers pal.

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

That Brooklyn bar become home on the Thursday last year. 

On 10/13/2018 at 10:15 AM, RarerThanDandyB said:

Lots of people like me are stating how there is more to the festival than music. Music is only a tiny slice of the festival. What can people recommend for people to do if they are first timers other than watching bands since the mindset for a first timer is staying at the music (well it was for me). 

just get lost,,,,,, it isn't hard

see the sun come up from the stone circle,  hang out with hippies, have a sauna, 

I will be having a sauna this time around

Most bars sell ales don't they?  I don't think I've ever had any trouble finding any although I don't really remember if there was anything special though they were all palatable and certainly any are preferable to Tuborg which I've never drunk at Glasto.   I wussed out of drinking the Belgian beers, thinking they were stronger than 6.5% for some reason so will certainly give the T&C bar a visit in 2019.

Must find my list of bars and the pub crawl and see which old and new ones to visit.

2 hours ago, Beerqueen said:

Most bars sell ales don't they?  I don't think I've ever had any trouble finding any although I don't really remember if there was anything special though they were all palatable and certainly any are preferable to Tuborg which I've never drunk at Glasto.   I wussed out of drinking the Belgian beers, thinking they were stronger than 6.5% for some reason so will certainly give the T&C bar a visit in 2019.

Must find my list of bars and the pub crawl and see which old and new ones to visit.

Most bars have a pretty decent pale on, im pretty sure it’s a rebadged Bath Ales Gem with some kind of pyramid-related name. The real ale bar by acoustic always gets a lengthy visit from me to try anything I havnt had before, but sometimes I really crave a big cold mega-hoppy strong thing like a Cloudwater DIPA or a Buxton axe edge. In the absence of that on tap (and I can’t keep the cans cold enough to do them justice) then a Grimbergen is very good at pepping me up and sorting me out - very recommended. 

All of these positive reviews of T & C + Cabaret have got me thinking. In 7 Glastonbury festivals I have never spent any time over there (beyond walking through or catching a NY Brass band set outdoors). I guess my drunken mind always chooses some sort of music if it's an option. I enjoy the Arcadia shows and the performance elements of the SE corner but they are always set to music. Any recommendations of regular shows/acts with a bit of musical performance?

22 minutes ago, zico martin said:

Intended to see him but missed him the last 2 festivals. Third time lucky surely!

Not only did I see him in 2017, I was then casually browsing the what's on section of the Guardian, when I saw he had a tour and idly wondered where he was playing, only to find that he was playing three miles from me the next weekend.  Went with a friend and had a fantastic evening.  And then saw him twice at Bearded Theory this year.  No doubt I will see him in the fields in 2019 - at least once.

1 minute ago, Beerqueen said:

Not only did I see him in 2017, I was then casually browsing the what's on section of the Guardian, when I saw he had a tour and idly wondered where he was playing, only to find that he was playing three miles from me the next weekend.  Went with a friend and had a fantastic evening.  And then saw him twice at Bearded Theory this year.  No doubt I will see him in the fields in 2019 - at least once.

He was amazing at BT!! Much better than I’ve ever seen him at Glastonbury. Proper laughed. Mark Kelly is looking into getting some plastic Fox merch ?

2 minutes ago, Curlygirl said:

He was amazing at BT!! Much better than I’ve ever seen him at Glastonbury. Proper laughed. Mark Kelly is looking into getting some plastic Fox merch ?

I wasn't sure if it was just because I recognised the songs more but it was probably just that he was better if you thought the same!   When I was asking my (non-festival) friends whether they wanted to see him locally, it was quite difficult to describe him, and posting links to YouTube didn't really help as you've really got to be there.  But I knew by describing him as a left-wing punk poet ish type of performer, a particular friend of mine would be interested.  I was right.  And she loved him

2 minutes ago, Beerqueen said:

I wasn't sure if it was just because I recognised the songs more but it was probably just that he was better if you thought the same!   When I was asking my (non-festival) friends whether they wanted to see him locally, it was quite difficult to describe him, and posting links to YouTube didn't really help as you've really got to be there.  But I knew by describing him as a left-wing punk poet ish type of performer, a particular friend of mine would be interested.  I was right.  And she loved him

He was definately better in May. Maybe because last time I saw him at the big G, they had a sound problem so only did half of the set. His ad libbling really impresses me! I love the story behind the song. My fave is cheap watch, closely followed by plastic fox. I love the ‘festival bands’ more than the big popular ones.