Questions for Michael

Crazyfool01

5 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

Because inflation rates rising faster than wages means the festival entry price is increasingly impossible to afford for exactly the kind of people Glastonbury was initially supposed to be for? There’s absolutely nothing wrong with asking people with more disposable income to pay a higher entry fee to subsidise those with less disposable income, it’s exactly what a festival which prides itself on being left-wing should be doing.

Honestly though, all music festivals are increasing in price, and its a luxury item. If you cant afford a ticket you dont buy one. 

IMO Glasto ticket prices are still cheap for what you get. Its about 450 CAD for me, and I have to fly from Canada.

Coachella (I've never been) charges what equals out to 600 CAD  for a ticket, charges an extra 100 for camping, and you cant take booze into the site. 

I get what you're saying, but its not the solution.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, the wonderwhy said:

There are plenty of places which offer jobseekers tickets, which are often less than half the standard price- that's essentially the same thing. Manchester International Festival offers reduced tickets for those on a low income (I think ~£15,000). 

Obviously its all trust based, nobody's going to means test that.  

Cheers. To be fair I've seen things similar, but they've all been local community places where you'd imagine the trust-based-ness of it will work. I also imagine they aren't for events that are 10x oversubscribed.

Personally, the idea of people paying depending on their income is a good thing in theory, but I think practically it's an absolute impossibility for something like Glasto.

5 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

By "alternative accommodation" do you mean something other than the existing arrangements in Worthy View?  Any idea what's going to happen to the prime camping spot in Pennards?

no worthy view seemed like the alternative accommodation ...and nothing on penards 

24 minutes ago, Keithy said:

GF are not about to start segregating the ticket allocation based on salary. That is utterly absurd and completely at odds with a left wing, inclusive charity. Some of the views on here are starting to have quite a blue tinge. 

Leaving aside the merits and feasibility of such a scheme, I don't understand your specific point here at all.  Isn't pricing according to ability to pay strongly in line with left-wing ideals?

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

I get what you’re saying but it absolutely should be the case that people pay different rates for things based on their income.

Why? How far do you take that? They pay higher taxes already for services and different rates of council tax on house value (Ok some will wriggle out of as much as possible, but that's down to government turning a blind eye to loopholes that suit them). They are likely to be higher consumers of products, therefore pay more vat also.

Don't get me wrong I totally understand the wealth divide and the need to close that gap, but the infrastructure to implement such an idea at Glastonbury would be far too costly, and imo against the ethos of equality. As it stands Joe earning £10k has the same shot at a ticket as Bob earning £60k. 

1 minute ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Leaving aside the merits and feasibility of such a scheme, I don't understand your specific point here at all.  Isn't pricing according to ability to pay strongly in line with left-wing ideals?

I think he's maybe mistaken in thinking that you'd have X tickets set aside for Income group A, X tickets set aside for Income group B etc.

27 minutes ago, duke88 said:

Verifying everyone's income would be an absolute logistical nightmare. There's two million registrations! And I've never been to anything where what the price you pay is determined by your income. Apart from when there is concession prices for kids, unemployed and pensioners, of course. Plus there's so many variables that affect someone's actual disposable income - the cost of living where you live, whether or not you have kids etc.

All valid points, a single bloke living alone in Wigan on £30k is much more likely to be able to afford to go than a guy with two kids on £40k in London.

3 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

All valid points, a single bloke living alone in Wigan on £30k is much more likely to be able to afford to go than a guy with two kids on £40k in London.

Exactly. I can live a pretty fun life in Liverpool on about half of what I'd earn in London where I'd probs struggle to afford anything despite the higher wage.

36 minutes ago, Keithy said:

I'd imagine it'd be as it is now. The registration window closes just before the general sale and won't open until after the ballot has taken place. There's no reason to make the ballot weeks or months after the general sale. Balance payments for both would need to be completed by April and then it's the resale.

I like the idea of this

It would just need to be that people re-verify their registrations year on year to avoid people who are no longer interested being allocated a ticket

18 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

ha ha ... just been contacted by Bristol live .... told them I have no interest in Talking to them ....more hits on here .. more money to keep the sire healthy 

That's happened to me with the scum. They'll just do their article anyway. 

1 hour ago, slash's hat said:

A bank manager pays no more for a loaf of bread than anyone else, so why a festival ticket? It's not a necessity to go. What about someone not earning but loads of savings, from an inheritance for example? What should they pay?

or someone earning 40k with 3 children, who has far less disposable income than a childless person earning 30k.

it's frankly absurd idea, one of the stupidest I've read on here.....until i read this:

1 hour ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

I get what you’re saying but it absolutely should be the case that people pay different rates for things based on their income,

The part ballot is going to be for a new area at the back of the Pyramid field, under the full glare of the cameras. 

It can only be accessed by the ballot winners and will have chairs and flags provided, so that they can wave them to prove to their FB friends that they've 'done Glastonbury'.  Since they never move from their chairs they won't have any access to the rest of the site. 

This should simultaneously put an end to moaning about chair/flag w*nkers, the unfairness of the sale and the effort required to get up at 9am on a Sunday to spend 35 minutes refreshing a web page. 

It's a win/win for everyone!

51 minutes ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

Another area in the SE corner? Surely the way to reduce the pressure there is to have less drawing people there, not more. Later running Silver Hayes & Park sounds fab.

that makes in the assumption that people are going to flock to the SE corner that wouldn't previously, just to be in this new area. I'd say it's far more likely that they'll be opening up more space and/or moving things around, to accommodate it.

22 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

or someone earning 40k with 3 children, who has far less disposable income than a childless person earning 30k.

it's frankly absurd idea, one of the stupidest I've read on here.....until i read this:

Do you actually like that people living paycheck to paycheck have to pay the same amount of £ for goods as people with obscene amounts of money? That people on minimum wage struggle to afford to put food on the table because every time it’s put to certain influencers among society’s rich that they might like to pay a little more to help out strugglers they bounce off the walls with rage and call whoever suggested it a communist? Okay mate.

Edited by Rose-Colored Boy

18 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

that makes in the assumption that people are going to flock to the SE corner that wouldn't previously, just to be in this new area. I'd say it's far more likely that they'll be opening up more space and/or moving things around, to accommodate it.

If they stick another area there, with stuff going on in it, people are bound to want to go there (we'd all want a look!) They can open up more space and spread out what's already there without adding more attractions. More attractions elsewhere is what they want to reduce pressure.

13 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

Do you actually like that people living paycheck to paycheck have to pay the same amount of £ for goods as people with obscene amounts of money? That people on minimum wage struggle to afford to put food on the table because every time it’s put to certain influencers among society’s rich that they might like to pay a little more to help out strugglers they bounce off the walls with rage and call whoever suggested it a communist? Okay mate.

Can I speak as someone whose on minimum wage. Glastonbury or any festival is a luxury,if you can afford to go that's great but if you can't then I'm sorry it's tough. I work 60-70 hrs a week to support my family and have to save really hard for luxuries like this. Really it's no different then going on a holiday,I'd love to go to Hawaii but can't afford it so go to Brighton instead. Frankly I'd be horrified to find out I was paying less then everyone else but getting the same. Sorry but I'm from that generation that you support yourself and if you want something you pay for it or go without

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1