Jump to content

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Wait what? The Strokes at Latitude?

Yeah 

Good booking for Latitude I think. Their stock has definitely fallen a touch, they were touted round a few festivals, so there demands obviously aren't the same as years gone by 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For my tastes, 2018 felt like a real return to form after the whole Mumford and 1975 thing. George Ezra would feel like a step back. One of Lana Del Rey or Snow Patrol I could live with, but both would be a bit underwhelming.

That said, the beauty of Latitude is that it's so broad, you can have a great day even if you don't love the headliner. Whether that's because there's something good in the BBC tent or you've seen enough good acts earlier in the day.

I'm not into Solange and I was disappointed with James, but it was only a small blot on an otherwise brilliant Friday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mezhyp1 said:

Yeah 

Good booking for Latitude I think. Their stock has definitely fallen a touch, they were touted round a few festivals, so there demands obviously aren't the same as years gone by 

Seems weird to me. The "big" headliners of the last two years have been The Killers and Mumford who are both very family/middle aged-orientated bands. The Strokes don't really fit Latitude for me. APE makes a million times more sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Where is this Strokes info coming from? Or is it just a wild guess? I'd agree they seem more suited to APE but could just be who throws the most money at them 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Seems weird to me. The "big" headliners of the last two years have been The Killers and Mumford who are both very family/middle aged-orientated bands. The Strokes don't really fit Latitude for me. APE makes a million times more sense.

I kinda disagree. Not about Killers & Mumford being 'family orientated'. But that Strokes dont fit Latitude. I think it would work. Lest we forget, Mumford & Killers both have been MASSIVE (as Strokes). Both headlined BST (as have strokes). Both, to a certain extent, are not as 'big' as they used to be (whatever that means), as is the Strokes.

I dont like them. But I do think they would work at Latitude. I would hope someone else better is on at the same time....

Edited by retromoz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, retromoz said:

I kinda disagree. Not about Killers & Mumford being 'family orientated'. But that Strokes dont fit Latitude. I think it would work. Lest we forget, Mumford & Killers both have been MASSIVE (as Strokes). Both headlined BST (as have strokes). Both, to a certain extent, are not as 'big' as they used to be (whatever that means), as is the Strokes.

I dont like them. But I do think they would work at Latitude. I would hope someone else better is on at the same time....

When I look at the headliners for the last couple of years (Mumford, The Killers, The 1975, alt-J, Solange, Fleet Foxes), and the other ones rumoured for this year (George Ezra, Snow Patrol, Lana Del Rey) I just don't see them as that great a fit. The headliners seem to be getting more and more beige and, like I said, family/middle aged-orientated, which I don't think The Strokes fit. It also seems like The Strokes are all about the money and I can't see Latitude giving them a very substantial offer.

Compare that with APE whose headliners so far have been LCD Soundsystem, The xx, Björk, The National, Nick Cave, Catfish and the Bottlemen and Chemical Brothers, and who supposedly have a shitload of money to throw at artists, and that seems a much more obvious place for them.

I'm not saying they wouldn't go down fine at Latitude. I'm sure they would. I just think they seem more like an APE headliner. Maybe they could even do both? Idk, probably not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Seems weird to me. The "big" headliners of the last two years have been The Killers and Mumford who are both very family/middle aged-orientated bands. The Strokes don't really fit Latitude for me. APE makes a million times more sense.

OG Strokes fans who made them massive are pushing 40.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

OG Strokes fans who made them massive are pushing 40.

Are they attending festivals where the other headliners are Mumford and Sons and George Ezra, though, or are they attending single day events in London like fans of LCD Soundsystem and Nick Cave are?

Edited by Gucci Piggy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Callum_96 said:

Where is this Strokes info coming from? Or is it just a wild guess? I'd agree they seem more suited to APE but could just be who throws the most money at them 

From me

And it isn't a guess 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Mezhyp1 said:

From me

And it isn't a guess 

Hmmmm very interesting cheers man, would be a happy chappy if it transpires always fancied going Latitude 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, suttttttt said:

Can you elaborate on your source while keeping it cryptic? And do you have any more info?

Just that I wouldn't be posting anything here if I didn't have extremely good reason to do so 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Mezhyp1 said:

Just that I wouldn't be posting anything here if I didn't have extremely good reason to do so 

Do you know if theres any chance of the doing Glasto as well as this? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Gucci Piggy said:

When I look at the headliners for the last couple of years (Mumford, The Killers, The 1975, alt-J, Solange, Fleet Foxes), and the other ones rumoured for this year (George Ezra, Snow Patrol, Lana Del Rey) I just don't see them as that great a fit. The headliners seem to be getting more and more beige and, like I said, family/middle aged-orientated, which I don't think The Strokes fit. It also seems like The Strokes are all about the money and I can't see Latitude giving them a very substantial offer.

Compare that with APE whose headliners so far have been LCD Soundsystem, The xx, Björk, The National, Nick Cave, Catfish and the Bottlemen and Chemical Brothers, and who supposedly have a shitload of money to throw at artists, and that seems a much more obvious place for them.

I'm not saying they wouldn't go down fine at Latitude. I'm sure they would. I just think they seem more like an APE headliner. Maybe they could even do both? Idk, probably not.

Yeah........I guess......good point. 

Course, I find them incredibly beige. So maybe think my mind palace might be influenced by that....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Strokes would be a really good fit, if there is such a thing at what is one of the more eclectic festivals. As someone else said, fans of theirs in the early 00s will now be late 30s/early 40s. Plenty of those at Latitude.

They have a really good back catalogue too. After the third album most people thought it was over but Angles (2011) was a great album.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has anyone ever volunteered here? If so what's it like in terms of getting the shifts you want etc? Cheers in advance for any info.

4 1/2 hours on the train isn't as bad a trek as I was expecting so got my eye on the festival now. I wanna see The Strokes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Odessa said:

Has anyone ever volunteered here? If so what's it like in terms of getting the shifts you want etc? Cheers in advance for any info.

4 1/2 hours on the train isn't as bad a trek as I was expecting so got my eye on the festival now. I wanna see The Strokes.

I worked it in 2015, it was the standard 3x8hour shifts. One overnight, one early morning to the afternoon and one midday until 8pm. Nice festival to work, people are nice and well behaved overall so there's very little work to do.

Just make sure youre not up the fire towers.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, rhg_99 said:

I worked it in 2015, it was the standard 3x8hour shifts. One overnight, one early morning to the afternoon and one midday until 8pm. Nice festival to work, people are nice and well behaved overall so there's very little work to do.

Just make sure youre not up the fire towers.

Cheers! So everyone had to have 3 shifts like that or it's how it happened for you? Night shifts are a killer, did one at Green Man but if I'd applied earlier I could have avoided it. What's wrong with the fire tower position?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Odessa said:

Cheers! So everyone had to have 3 shifts like that or it's how it happened for you? Night shifts are a killer, did one at Green Man but if I'd applied earlier I could have avoided it. What's wrong with the fire tower position?

yeah I worked through Hotbox events and everyone had 3x8 hour. We had our overnight shift on the Thursday 8am-9am which was great in terms of getting it out the way and freeing the weekend up.

The fire towers sound great but you have to spend your up there on your own for hours with someone else down the bottom. Much better to work in the campsites or with the water guns. The water guns are especially fun at night on thursday when there's no supervisors about....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, rhg_99 said:

yeah I worked through Hotbox events and everyone had 3x8 hour. We had our overnight shift on the Thursday 8am-9am which was great in terms of getting it out the way and freeing the weekend up.

The fire towers sound great but you have to spend your up there on your own for hours with someone else down the bottom. Much better to work in the campsites or with the water guns. The water guns are especially fun at night on thursday when there's no supervisors about....

Oh great that it's through Hotbox. I'm gonna do Download with them as well so I'd only need to put down one deposit for the pair of them. 

Ah yeah that sounds dull being on yr own up there for ages. A couple of my volunteering shifts this summer were literally just sat having a chat with my mate so that was sick. I'll go for the water guns role lol. Thanks again for the help mate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Odessa said:

Oh great that it's through Hotbox. I'm gonna do Download with them as well so I'd only need to put down one deposit for the pair of them. 

Ah yeah that sounds dull being on yr own up there for ages. A couple of my volunteering shifts this summer were literally just sat having a chat with my mate so that was sick. I'll go for the water guns role lol. Thanks again for the help mate.

no worries man, general campsite work is normally the best, those were the ones where we were able to just hang out and chat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Odessa said:

Has anyone ever volunteered here? If so what's it like in terms of getting the shifts you want etc? Cheers in advance for any info.

4 1/2 hours on the train isn't as bad a trek as I was expecting so got my eye on the festival now. I wanna see The Strokes.

It’s the sme risk you take with every other fest, when I went with Oxfam I ended up with afternoon shifts Friday Saturday and Sunday which was obviously not great. The fest has enough going on at lunchtime and late at night that afternoon shifts aren’t the killer that they are at, say, Reading, but it is a bit demoralising to travel for five hours and then miss all the bands.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...