Football 18/19

ThomThomDrum

34 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

Have heard some criticism for Neuer about the second goal, Sutton called him a disgrace on commentary. I don’t really have a problem with what he did, they had nothing to lose at that point.

Sutton is an utter knob. Mr let’s say something controversial so the Beeb will renew my contract.

30 minutes ago, jyoung said:

10 changes tonight for Belgium?!

Smart from Martinez. 

Winners

Round of 16: Colombia, Japan or Senegal

Quarter-final: Mexico or Brazil

Semi-final: Uruguay, Portugal, France or Argentina

Runners up

Quarter-final: Sweden or Switzerland

Semi-final: Spain, Russia, Croatia or Denmark

The list of countries that England have beaten during the last four World Cups is pathetic: Tunisia, Panama, Slovenia, Paraguay, Trinidad and Tobago, Ecuador. 

I think 'throwing' a game is bad for morale and momentum. And arrogant to think that we are better than the runners up teams sides.

Having a different side out to rest players is fine. But we should play to win

48 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Smart from Martinez. 

Winners

Runners up

So the plan is...

1. Kick off

2. Harry Kane to headbutt De Bruyne in plain sight and/or the ref

Simples...

Edited by Ted Dansons Wig

48 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Smart from Martinez. 

Winners

Runners up

Given the mental nature of this World Cup I'm not so sure it matters. Brazil would obviously be tough and they'd be favourites to beat us, but they're hardly unbeatable on current form.

Anyone could beat anyone from here on in.

So, the team for me. Walker out as I don't want to risk him picking up another yellow and missing the next game. RLC is on a booking but arguably matters less as hopefully Dele will be fit for the next game? Well deserved rest for Henderson and Trippier. Some time out of the spotlight for Sterling and a chance for Trent and Rashford.

3-4-1-2 as usual. Pickford; Cahill, Stones, Maguire; Dier; Trent, RLC, Lingard, Young; Rashford, Kane

6 minutes ago, jyoung said:

So, the team for me. Walker out as I don't want to risk him picking up another yellow and missing the next game. RLC is on a booking but arguably matters less as hopefully Dele will be fit for the next game? Well deserved rest for Henderson and Trippier. Some time out of the spotlight for Sterling and a chance for Trent and Rashford.

3-4-1-2 as usual. Pickford; Cahill, Stones, Maguire; Dier; Trent, RLC, Lingard, Young; Rashford, Kane

I'd leave Young out as well. Wing backs are going to be shagged IF (and its a big if) we get to the quarters

3 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

It would also be really, really embarrassing if we played for second place then lost to Colombia anyway.

Thoughts exactly. Plotting our route to the final obv crosses people's mind as we get wrapped up in world cup fever but it's naive and pointless. You're going to play the best teams if you get to the final. You're going to need to beat them if you want to win. Expect the unexpected and be prepared!

2 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Chadli?!? Forgot he existed!

Also, how the holy fuck is Januzaj playing at a World Cup?

More importantly, Chadli isn't a wing back, is he? Thorgan Hazard definitely isn't either so if this is the line up, the pace of Rashford could prove hugely influential when he gets to the line, on the wing, as he so often does. Also up against Kompany and Vermaelan who certainly aren't going to win any races.

2 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

It would also be really, really embarrassing if we played for second place then lost to Colombia anyway.

I think the lose on purpose argument has some merit if the second round opponent is Japan who I think are as close to a gimmee as you can have in the second round. I think however if finishing second ends up with you playing Columbia then England or Belgium could end up with egg on their face passing on a (relatively) easy second round game.

My view however that England or Belgium are more likely to beat Brazil in the QF than the final. So if either team believe they can win the tournament, winning the group is the best way forward.

I also feel that losing on purpose is very different to not putting in the effort to win.  I remember in the Olympics 2 badminton teams were thrown out of the tournament for bringing the sport into disrepute. You have to be careful if you are purposely getting yellow cards, own goals, letting goals in etc.

3 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I also feel that losing on purpose is very different to not putting in the effort to win.  I remember in the Olympics 2 badminton teams were thrown out of the tournament for bringing the sport into disrepute. You have to be careful if you are purposely getting yellow cards, own goals, letting goals in etc.

If Phil Jones starts then we can expect a letter from FIFA.

3 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I also feel that losing on purpose is very different to not putting in the effort to win.

I reckon tonight will have the feel of a friendly.

Both teams will want to win, but I doubt players will be making the sorts of efforts they would in a 'normal' game which might get them injured.