Football 18/19

ThomThomDrum

36 minutes ago, pryce said:

should be careful, I thought jackpot when I got Croatia vs Portugal in the knockouts at the euros 2 years ago....voted worst game of the tournament!

I thought I had won the jackpot when I got tickets to the quarter final (france v Holland) semi (france v Czech) and final of Euro 96. The final wasn't terrible, but those 2 knockout 0-0 draws were!

1 hour ago, pink_triangle said:

I thought I had won the jackpot when I got tickets to the quarter final (france v Holland) semi (france v Czech) and final of Euro 96. The final wasn't terrible, but those 2 knockout 0-0 draws were!

I was offered a ticket for the WC final in 1994 by a USA-based mate.

At $1000 for the ticket and about £400 for a flight I couldn't really do it so reluctantly declined  ... and I've thanked my lucky stars ever since.

34 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I was offered a ticket for the WC final in 1994 by a USA-based mate.

At $1000 for the ticket and about £400 for a flight I couldn't really do it so reluctantly declined  ... and I've thanked my lucky stars ever since.

Would the experience of just being at the WC final compensate for the lack of quality though? Besides, you'd have seen the Divine Ponytail fluff that penalty.

2 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Would the experience of just being at the WC final compensate for the lack of quality though? Besides, you'd have seen the Divine Ponytail fluff that penalty.

nope, for me it wouldn't have. All things considered - it being a dreadful match - I'm glad i missed it.

I'd have big regrets if it had been decent.

Telegraph expects several changes on Thu nigh mentioning Cahill, Dier, Delph and Rashford. Apparently undecided on whether Rose will come in for Tripps and swap positions with Young or whether Trent will come in as a direct replacement. Could be six changes.

Belgium apparently resting Hazard and Mertens. Also unlikely Lukaku will feature.

9 minutes ago, jyoung said:

Telegraph expects several changes on Thu nigh mentioning Cahill, Dier, Delph and Rashford. Apparently undecided on whether Rose will come in for Tripps and swap positions with Young or whether Trent will come in as a direct replacement. Could be six changes.

Guardian suggested similar, although suggested it was more likely that players who haven't yet had a kick would get a look-in.

That Guardian version seems to make better sense for keeping morale up, although I guess both versions could work with (say) TTA getting the last 30 minutes.

Personally I'd prefer TTA to get a full game than play players out of position. Otherwise what's he there for apart to make up the numbers? He looked far from shoddy in the one game he's had (including delivering corners/free kicks at least as well as Tripps).

9 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Personally I'd prefer TTA to get a full game than play players out of position. Otherwise what's he there for apart to make up the numbers?

Agreed. If Tripps isn't playing we need Trent for his deliveries.

17 hours ago, dentalplan said:

I don't expect it but potentially facing winner of a France vs. Argentina game. Only one of those lot getting through to the semis is a proper clearout of the shithouses.

Yep. So, Portugal vs Uruguay play the winner of France vs Argentina. 

They did just about enough to get through. I thought Nigeria put up a good fight but just lacked the cutting edge necessary to get them through. Like Argentina, France haven't hit any great heights so it could go either way. 

Of course you can't plot your route to the final but as mentioned, it really is looking like finishing runner up in our group would provide potentially 'easier' fixtures later on. 

1 hour ago, jyoung said:

Of course you can't plot your route to the final but as mentioned, it really is looking like finishing runner up in our group would provide potentially 'easier' fixtures later on. 

I'm no longer convinced there is an "easier" route. From what we've seen of the group stage the big four - France, Spain, Germany, Brazil all look vulnerable. They may have better players but right now I'd be more worried about facing Croatia, Columbia or Mexico.

The fascinating thing about this tournament is how open it is, anyone could beat anyone from here on in.