Tour Announcements & Upcoming Gigs

FloorFiller

4 hours ago, the wonderwhy said:

Underworld are incredible and its an interesting venue to see them in, but WHP is a bit shit really. It's outgrown its setting (hence why they're moving, I'm guessing with the ultimate aim to end up at Factory when/if it opens), it gettings fucking rammo, its expensive, they make you get in dead early... 

Being in Kent, I'd wait for more dates, which there will inevitably be sooner or later.  

I was a bit too hasty and got a ticket before I saw your message. Oops. Now I just need to convince a friend to come...

Edited by Gilgamesh69

6 hours ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

I was a bit too hasty and got a ticket before I saw your message. Oops. Now I just need to convince a friend to come...

In hindsight I do wonder how they're going to accommodate everyone as the main space is pretty small. Hopefully they put enough other acts in the other areas to split the crowd but surely most will be there to see Underworld? I actually preferred Victoria Warehouse to Store Street so I'm not too gutted that WHP will be moving after this season

5 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

In hindsight I do wonder how they're going to accommodate everyone as the main space is pretty small. Hopefully they put enough other acts in the other areas to split the crowd but surely most will be there to see Underworld? I actually preferred Victoria Warehouse to Store Street so I'm not too gutted that WHP will be moving after this season

The ram people but only to cosy levels rather than dangerous levels, really. They also fence off some entrances to the main bit when it gets too packed. 

You can watch through the arches to the sides and get right down the front with a pretty good view. Also allows plenty of room for dancing and often bars are a walk-up. 

5 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Inevitable really. Lineup isn't very impressive at all. Really won't be surprised if it's gone entirely in the next couple of years, if not next year.

Certainly feels like it’s lost its way over the last couple of years. For a while it was the next best thing to Glasto but it’s since been usurped by the likes of Boomtown. I think it’s problem is that it’s much for of a festival for the younger crowd and if you can’t attract them then you’re in trouble.

8 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Inevitable really. Lineup isn't very impressive at all. Really won't be surprised if it's gone entirely in the next couple of years, if not next year.

Was watching some of the names they've booked in the past. A sad Demise really.

4 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Certainly feels like it’s lost its way over the last couple of years. For a while it was the next best thing to Glasto but it’s since been usurped by the likes of Boomtown. I think it’s problem is that it’s much for of a festival for the younger crowd and if you can’t attract them then you’re in trouble.

Yeah it was definitely a mini Glastonbury of sorts for a couple of years and I had a ball the first two years I went (2011/12) but it seemed to struggle to secure the same tier of headliners in later years and when I returned in 2015 the magic just wasn't there anymore and the vibe had totally changed (in no small part due to it seemingly becoming a 'last party' for students before returning to uni etc). I thought it was gonna step up to the big leagues after those first couple of years but I guess it's old awkward location coupled with the tons of other festivals popping up just left it in the dirt.

21 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Yeah it was definitely a mini Glastonbury of sorts for a couple of years and I had a ball the first two years I went (2011/12) but it seemed to struggle to secure the same tier of headliners in later years and when I returned in 2015 the magic just wasn't there anymore and the vibe had totally changed (in no small part due to it seemingly becoming a 'last party' for students before returning to uni etc). I thought it was gonna step up to the big leagues after those first couple of years but I guess it's old awkward location coupled with the tons of other festivals popping up just left it in the dirt.

I suspect moving to the mainland is a last attempt to save it, doesn’t look like it’s working.

The journey to the IOW was always a colossal pain in the arse but that was also part of the fun.

16 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

The journey to the IOW was always a colossal pain in the arse but that was also part of the fun.

Added yet another expense for the ferry or hover though. 

From Portsmouth it was cheaper for me to get to Glastonbury and park there than get to Robin Hill one year I did both

18 minutes ago, Tommy101 said:

From Portsmouth it was cheaper for me to get to Glastonbury and park there than get to Robin Hill one year I did both

Heading over to IoW in a couple of weeks for a cycling trip with Mrs Q. First time I've been over, and I never realised how much the crossing actually costs. Holy shitballs.

33 minutes ago, Quark said:

Heading over to IoW in a couple of weeks for a cycling trip with Mrs Q. First time I've been over, and I never realised how much the crossing actually costs. Holy shitballs.

Apparently it's the most expensive sea crossing per m in the world. With that plus the bus ticket (or taxi even worked out cheaper once) on the other side to and from the festival it was more expensive than petrol and parking to G, even though I could walk to the hover.

Jungle really left it too long between records. I really got on with their first album but I think they needed more momentum to keep their heads above water. I'd quite like to be proven wrong.

45 minutes ago, Quark said:

If you can live without a car it is often a lot cheaper to by a through ticket on the train, which includes the ferry crossing (on the faster passenger only services, too). So for example looking at next week you can go from London Waterloo to Ryde for 30 quid. 

Probably doesn't help this time but may be useful in the future :)

18 minutes ago, Tommy101 said:

Jungle really left it too long between records. I really got on with their first album but I think they needed more momentum to keep their heads above water. I'd quite like to be proven wrong.

Have you heard any of the tracks they've released this year?  It's sounding good, don't know if they're going to be up there in terms of profile but the tunes are quality :)

1 hour ago, Tommy101 said:

Has it gone up significantly? Admittedly I haven’t done it since 2012 but never recall it being that expensive.

Just now, Hugh Jass said:

Has it gone up significantly? Admittedly I haven’t done it since 2012 but never recall it being that expensive.

3 of us in a car from Portsmouth to Fishbourne, 8pm Friday and an 8pm return on Saturday, £140

30 minutes ago, Quark said:

3 of us in a car from Portsmouth to Fishbourne, 8pm Friday and an 8pm return on Saturday, £140

If you have any Tesco clubcard vouchers you can use them with Wightlink ferries. We got 75% knocked off a few years ago taking a car and 4 people to Bestival on the Lymington to Yarmouth route.

46 minutes ago, the wonderwhy said:

If you can live without a car it is often a lot cheaper to by a through ticket on the train, which includes the ferry crossing (on the faster passenger only services, too). So for example looking at next week you can go from London Waterloo to Ryde for 30 quid. 

Probably doesn't help this time but may be useful in the future :)

Useful to know! Thanks

40 minutes ago, Quark said:

Have you heard any of the tracks they've released this year?  It's sounding good, don't know if they're going to be up there in terms of profile but the tunes are quality :)

I have but they didn't grab me enough to listen to over and over. I heard the newest one today (after you pointed it out on another thread, maybe the new music one) and enjoy it too but there's something missing. Maybe when the album is out proper I'll have enough to get my teeth into. It's very rare that I'd listen to single tracks in isolation now.

On 7/25/2018 at 10:28 AM, Gilgamesh69 said:

Got a Peter Murphy ticket, pricier than I expected though.

So The Cure 40th anniversary, Killing Joke 40th anniversary, and now Bauhaus 40th anniversary. Hell yeaaaaah

Takes me back once saw bauhaus support the cure with wah heat on the bill as well .....probably all for a fiver 

Booked Underworld last night when we were pissed, then realised later on it's the same night as David Byrne ffs. So looks like I'm not going to the latter. How fucking annoying is the WHP last entry? Could easily do both without that. If you buy a ticket you should be able to see as much or as little of the event as you want.

Edited by Odessa