Tour Announcements & Upcoming Gigs

FloorFiller

18 hours ago, JRhys29 said:

I know we're 99% that they are on at Holts, but if for some reason they aren't I'm gutted that they aren't playing anywhere in the North of the UK.  Fingers crossed for more dates.

28 minutes ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

I know we're 99% that they are on at Holts, but if for some reason they aren't I'm gutted that they aren't playing anywhere in the North of the UK.  Fingers crossed for more dates.

Bristol suits me but the Academy is awful, genuinely makes me think twice about going.

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

they're literally on the poster for West Holts so aren't we 100% sure they are there?

9 minutes ago, wosman said:

£70 for standing, wow!  Thought it would be 50 tops

damn! when I saw them at Ally Pally on their last UK tour, I got two standing tickets for £63.50 total, fees included. that can’t get one standing ticket this time round. hey, get that bag i guess!

2 hours ago, JRhys29 said:

Bristol suits me but the Academy is awful, genuinely makes me think twice about going.

What's so bad about it? Genuinely, can only think of maybe a couple of shows there that have been less than excellent. 
Granted, I don't use the bars etc. because it's an o2... 

17 minutes ago, Dark Star said:

What's so bad about it? Genuinely, can only think of maybe a couple of shows there that have been less than excellent. 
Granted, I don't use the bars etc. because it's an o2... 

Honestly it just feels way over crowded. I know a lot of venues can be uncomfortable and you're often elbow-to-elbow with people but there isn't even any space at the back by the bar. It's not just this but they introduced that disabled section near the steps on the left hand side a few years back and it doesn't feel like they've compensated for that in the overall capacity. I also find it has more obstructed viewing points than any other venue I've been to, whether that's the stairs, the low balcony, the sound booth etc - seems you only have a good view if you're in the "pit" or the first row on the balcony.

Anyway, thankfully Beacon is a massive upgrade and hopefully there'll be more gigs there going forward.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, wosman said:

spacer.png

£70 for standing, wow!  Thought it would be 50 tops

its a joke honestly

leaving it personally, i love them but am not paying that especially for the stinking o2

They are doing album release record store shows in summer BTW (waiting for them personally!)

1 hour ago, gfa said:

its a joke honestly

leaving it personally, i love them but am not paying that especially for the stinking o2

They are doing album release record store shows in summer BTW (waiting for them personally!)

Good shout, did see a resheduled stripped back show at Brudenell a few years ago and that was sweet, hopefully they do something similar

1 hour ago, JRhys29 said:

Honestly it just feels way over crowded. I know a lot of venues can be uncomfortable and you're often elbow-to-elbow with people but there isn't even any space at the back by the bar. It's not just this but they introduced that disabled section near the steps on the left hand side a few years back and it doesn't feel like they've compensated for that in the overall capacity. I also find it has more obstructed viewing points than any other venue I've been to, whether that's the stairs, the low balcony, the sound booth etc - seems you only have a good view if you're in the "pit" or the first row on the balcony.

Anyway, thankfully Beacon is a massive upgrade and hopefully there'll be more gigs there going forward.

Agreed.  The Academy is terrible.  It probably looks great from the stage, with a couple of levels of faces looking at you, and people all along the stair cases but it's not much fun being there.  People congregate round the bottom of the steps and you can't get past even though there is often loads of space ahead of them.  And if you can't get down the steps you have to watch from the bar area with the low ceiling which echoes the sound into pieces.

I also refuse to go there unless I'm absolutely desperate to see an act.  Or if I'm certain the gig isn't sold out

• Like 1

21 hours ago, northernangel said:

Nearly £60 for Rise Against. That took me from interested to no chance.

Given the next page was £70+ for Glass Animals, that might well be a demo of what's now market rate. The increasingly ridiculous market rate.

4 hours ago, JRhys29 said:

Beacon does seem an excellent upgrade on the old venue. Was there for The Fast Show the other week. 

The one thing I'd fault the Academy with is over-selling, I'm sure it doesn't because that'd be a legal nightmare if they got caught out, but taking 200 or so off the capacity would make it more comfortable. Remember when they used to have that horrible grille thing that ran behind the sound desk between the two sets of steps down, that was even worse. 

6 hours ago, JRhys29 said:

Aye, you don't have to look far to find some tedious locals online criticising the name change or things they didn't like about visiting, but the events I've been to have been great - venue has a much better layout, splendid acoustics, great view, and helpful staff who knew what they were doing.  The prices for tickets even seemed fair.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, foolee said:

Surey a reason to charge less and not more? 

Not if that's them bumping up. If it's an arena act playing smaller venues for intimate I expect it to be a bit more. 

I struggle to see how anyone can charge for than £45 for an academy gig and a big band more than £60 for an arena. £70 for an stadium gig.

1 hour ago, foolee said:

Surey a reason to charge less and not more? 

Given Green Day wanted the same £90+ ticket price for the Electric Ballroom for a planned show (one that illness scuppered) and standing tickets to their upcoming Wembley Stadium date, apparently not.

15 hours ago, northernangel said:

Not if that's them bumping up. If it's an arena act playing smaller venues for intimate I expect it to be a bit more. 

I struggle to see how anyone can charge for than £45 for an academy gig and a big band more than £60 for an arena. £70 for an stadium gig.

Very few arena gigs are sub £60 now for standing / good seats

Only acts charging like £50 to stand are ones that probably shouldn't be in an arena to begin with!

34 minutes ago, gfa said:

Very few arena gigs are sub £60 now for standing / good seats

Only acts charging like £50 to stand are ones that probably shouldn't be in an arena to begin with!

Oh I know, it's just not good. Glass Animals for £70 and Rise Against for £60 is utter madness.