Queens of the Stone Age

JSmurphy

Right, Villains... Finished third listen and it's already starting to change for me.

I listened at midnight and after the brilliant Feet Don't Fail Me, the next three songs (only two new to me but TWYUTD isn't Queens at their best either) had me thinking "fuck, everyone's right. This isn't much cop" and sorta soured the rest of the experience for me.

Listening today though and I'm realising how good some of these tunes really are  Stuff like Un-Reborn Again and Hideaway which didn't stand out to me on first listen are quality. Loving the dark synths too - I recall Josh was talking about how he'd been listening to John Carpenter scores and it's cool to see that implanted into the record. Some ropey lyrics still and some songs still much worse than others. Cba thinking about what it is in relation to their other records cos I'm just enjoying it for the time being but I think they can be very proud of this and the tracks are gonna go off live.

Edited by dentalplan
  • Upvote 1

Tried rating their albums but, much like Radiohead for me, they have three near-masterpieces (Rated R, Songs for the Deaf and ...Like Clockwork), with the rest all being varying degrees of great as well, which makes it hard. Villains probably comes near the bottom for me, but that's only because it comes on the lower end of the great-scale.

Feet Don't Fail Me, Fortress and Villains of Circumstance are my persisting favourites. The Way You Used to Do remains my least favourite. Looks pretty ace live from the videos I've seen, but the studio version just falls flat for me and I've found myself skipping it a fair few times now.