2019 festival

14 minutes ago, bigcharlie65 said:

I'm Actually really excited for this announcement to much potential for this one I really hope they don't fuck up like glasto having stormzy as a headliner. 

A dull MOR rock band who've headlined every festival under the sun a million times vs. an exciting new act being given the opportunity to step and make a name for themselves as a festival headliner. I know which one I'd rather see.

This ain't a slight on R&L, either, as if they've booked The 1975 and 21P to headline then I commend them for that.

33 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

A dull MOR rock band who've headlined every festival under the sun a million times vs. an exciting new act being given the opportunity to step and make a name for themselves as a festival headliner. I know which one I'd rather see.

This ain't a slight on R&L, either, as if they've booked The 1975 and 21P to headline then I commend them for that.

I mean, if you're calling Foo Fighters dull then I'm not quite sure what you mean? Because they are far from dull. And they have played all these festivals for the fact that they are a great rock act who put on a mad show 

Edit - not saying stormzy is a shit headliner as I agree with you on that part with him getting a spotlight chance. But not the dull rock band part

Edited by The All Round Ball :|
  • Like 1

Just now, The All Round Ball :| said:

I mean, if you're calling Foo Fighters dull then I'm not quite sure what you mean? Because they are far from dull. Any they hav3 played all these festivals for the fact that they are a great rock act who put on a mad show 

Meh, I used to like Foo Fighters but honestly it's just dull, middle of the road rock music, isn't it? Especially their recent material. And as a live proposition they're fun the first time but their live shtick wears pretty thin after seeing them more than once. I've seen them a couple of times and wandered over to the end of their Glasto set last year because they were still playing and I was meeting someone after it. Got there and couldn't even be arsed to stay and watch the last two songs or whatever.

Headlining all the festivals loads of times means nothing other than that they've been a massive band over a long period of time. There are bands with crap live reputations like RHCP who've done the same.

Nothing against the booking tbh, it's perfectly fine and it's an obvious booking for R&L to make. I'm sure most people who watch them will enjoy it. And as R&L is a festival mostly aimed at young people who haven't been going to festivals for years it doesn't really matter that Foos play everywhere.

I just find it a bit weird when people call any booking that's slightly risky or leftfield a rubbish booking, because without bookings like that you've just got the same bands on repeat everywhere you go. Like, I can't stand Ed Sheeran but I'd rather he was booked to headline Glasto last year than someone who's headlining multitudes of festivals every year like Biffy Clyro.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Meh, I used to like Foo Fighters but honestly it's just dull, middle of the road rock music, isn't it? Especially their recent material. And as a live proposition they're fun the first time but their live shtick wears pretty thin after seeing them more than once. I've seen them a couple of times and wandered over to the end of their Glasto set last year because they were still playing and I was meeting someone after it. Got there and couldn't even be arsed to stay and watch the last two songs or whatever.

Headlining all the festivals loads of times means nothing other than that they've been a massive band over a long period of time. There are bands with crap live reputations like RHCP who've done the same.

Nothing against the booking tbh, it's perfectly fine and it's an obvious booking for R&L to make. I'm sure most people who watch them will enjoy it. And as R&L is a festival mostly aimed at young people who haven't been going to festivals for years it doesn't really matter that Foos play everywhere.

I just find it a bit weird when people call any booking that's slightly risky or leftfield a rubbish booking, because without bookings like that you've just got the same bands on repeat everywhere you go. Like, I can't stand Ed Sheeran but I'd rather he was booked to headline Glasto last year than someone who's headlining multitudes of festivals every year like Biffy Clyro.

To be honest, I completely see your point. I'm a massive Foos fan to which I would love to see them anywhere but you make a good point of festivals booking the same big bands all the time. It is nice to see the like of stormzy getting the headline position. It's nice to have a change and give other artists a chance so I am on your side with that :)

edit - I don't think they are rubbish bookings either. I see it as a change and it's not always a bad thing to get up and coming acts in the headline position 

Edited by The All Round Ball :|

I just don’t get the idea of stormzy headlining a festival at all, there are so many better rap artists that are 100x bigger than him that haven’t headlined glasto that could do it.. all his done is a couple of novelty songs and a shite album, but hey thats just me 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, dum surfer said:

I just don’t get the idea of stormzy headlining a festival at all, there are so many better rap artists that are 100x bigger than him that haven’t headlined glasto that could do it.. all his done is a couple of novelty songs and a shite album, but hey thats just me 

How are there so many rap artists that are 100x bigger than him who haven't headlined Glasto? In terms of the Glasto crowd I'd say there's Drake, Eminem and maybe Kendrick who are bigger than him. I don't see Eminem ever doing; Drake has no reason to play there unless he has a specific desire to play Glastonbury, he can just do a ton of stadium shows instead; and Kendrick is probably not active next Summer.

I dunno what makes his songs "novelty" tbh; maybe you just don't like them? His album was popular and pretty well reviewed, so again maybe you just don't like it. But the consensus over in the Glasto section is that it's a good booking as it's Glasto giving a leg up to the most exciting, fastest rising artist in our country at the moment. It's an artist whose values are in line with that of the festival and who's using his platform to make a positive impact (see: him calling out Theresa May over Grenfell in his BRITS performance; the scholarship scheme he's set up to put black students through Cambridge degrees). He adds diversity to a pool of headliners dominated by white males with guitars (similar to the countless discussions that are had on here about the poor representation of females at festivals), especially as he's seemingly headlining alongside Paul McCartney and The Cure.

Yeah, they could stick someone else on who'd maybe draw a bigger crowd and have less people moaning on social media. But who gives a fuck? It's an exciting booking in a world where 99% of festival bookings are safe, boring and exactly what you'd expect.

If bookings like this aren't made then it makes it way harder for artists to make it to the top. Glastonbury made similar bookings to this with Coldplay in 2002, Muse in 2004, Arctic Monkeys and The Killers in 2007. Without them doing so, those acts may not have become the superpowers they became. If Stormzy's second album and Glasto headline slot go down a storm then his booking could easily be looked back on in the same way as those ones, with the added bonus of all the stuff I listed above.

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, Gucci Piggy said:

How are there so many rap artists that are 100x bigger than him who haven't headlined Glasto? In terms of the Glasto crowd I'd say there's Drake, Eminem and maybe Kendrick who are bigger than him. I don't see Eminem ever doing; Drake has no reason to play there unless he has a specific desire to play Glastonbury, he can just do a ton of stadium shows instead; and Kendrick is probably not active next Summer.

I dunno what makes his songs "novelty" tbh; maybe you just don't like them? His album was popular and pretty well reviewed, so again maybe you just don't like it. But the consensus over in the Glasto section is that it's a good booking as it's Glasto giving a leg up to the most exciting, fastest rising artist in our country at the moment. It's an artist whose values are in line with that of the festival and who's using his platform to make a positive impact (see: him calling out Theresa May over Grenfell in his BRITS performance; the scholarship scheme he's set up to put black students through Cambridge degrees). He adds diversity to a pool of headliners dominated by white males with guitars (similar to the countless discussions that are had on here about the poor representation of females at festivals), especially as he's seemingly headlining alongside Paul McCartney and The Cure.

Yeah, they could stick someone else on who'd maybe draw a bigger crowd and have less people moaning on social media. But who gives a fuck? It's an exciting booking in a world where 99% of festival bookings are safe, boring and exactly what you'd expect.

If bookings like this aren't made then it makes it way harder for artists to make it to the top. Glastonbury made similar bookings to this with Coldplay in 2002, Muse in 2004, Arctic Monkeys and The Killers in 2007. Without them doing so, those acts may not have become the superpowers they became. If Stormzy's second album and Glasto headline slot go down a storm then his booking could easily be looked back on in the same way as those ones, with the added bonus of all the stuff I listed above.

I agree with you about all the great things his done, i said on a previous post on here that he does seem like a great guy. Its great that theres a popular muscian out there standing up against the tories, although pretty much the whole of grime scene are sending out a similar message. But anyway I was just saying my opinion about stormzy, maybe it is because i just don’t like his music, saying that though i hate twenty one pilots music but don’t disagree about them headlining reading. But maybe stormzy does deserve this as a chance to boost his career, but no other grime MC has been given a chance to headline arguably the biggest music festival in the world. Like personally i think stormzy would be a perfect fit for Parklife up in Manc like Skepta did this year

And when i was thinking of bigger artists, i was thinking if Stomzy is big enough to do it then so are people like Travis Scott, Post Malone etc. I’m not saying they should headline Glasto but if Stormzy is big enough to do it then they should be too

Edited by dum surfer

11 hours ago, dum surfer said:

I'm not really his biggest fan (nor much of this new wave of "Grime" that everyone seems to have jumped on) but he deserves it. He's a massive name and it was only a matter of time before a "Grime" artist headlined Glastonbury.

Not really a fan of modern Hip Hop in general though, apart from Kendrick, Death Grips and Childish Gambino and it's debatable if the latter two even qualify as Hip Hop artists. Stuff from the 80s/90s was way more exciting to listen to, but then the same could be said about rock.

4 minutes ago, VCK said:

I'm not really his biggest fan (nor much of this new wave of "Grime" that everyone seems to have jumped on) but he deserves it. He's a massive name and it was only a matter of time before a "Grime" artist headlined Glastonbury.

Not really a fan of modern Hip Hop in general though, apart from Kendrick, Death Grips and Childish Gambino and it's debatable if the latter two even qualify as Hip Hop artists. Stuff from the 80s/90s was way more exciting to listen to, but then the same could be said about rock.

Yeah you’re probably right, i don’t know but i just can’t wrap my head around it paresonally. Its not even that I don’t like grime, i love skepta and thought he was on of the best acts of the weekend at parklife 

On ‎11‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 4:08 PM, Chaarlie said:

Seeing them in the R1 tent in 2016 there were a lot of parents and kids around us that had to evacuate pretty quick into the set. They're great live and the croud interaction adds to the show but it causes some crushes so just be careful!

Main stage at Leeds you could easily watch from the back or sides with kids no problem.

14 hours ago, Gucci Piggy said:

I find that Glastonbury tends to have a "diverse" lineup anyway, if 'diverse' means people who aren't white men. In recent years they've had Adele and Kanye headline, plus they've given top slots to The XX, Boy Better Know, Katy Perry, Chic, Ellie Goulding and Lorde. I've never really seen it as a festival noticeably dominated by white male artists. But that whole debate is more down to the music industry rather than specific festivals who choose headliners based on their popularity.

Anyway, Stormzy deserves to headline Glastonbury because he's big enough and I think he would draw a huge crowd myself. Like I say I'm not a huge fan but he'd be a solid choice.

RE your second point: Kings of Leon in 2008 was another one. I remember at the time people were questioning if they were big enough. Just a couple of months later and they were the biggest band in the world after releasing Sex On Fire.

47 minutes ago, C14S said:

Never has any news made me happier

I heard them on the radio, and remembered they've been slowly bumped up the main stage over the years and prayed to god that R&L don't take this album release as motive to make them HL.

This is music to my ears.

21 pilots Trench is still doing average, and I can't see them headlining with a rock band that are great but have done a million festivals and everybody and their dog has already seen them. I actually had a dream last thursday that Kids see Ghosts play this year (instead of Kanye alone) and so downloaded the album and had it on repeat none stop. With Kanyes new album coming out next week can see this as a big booking. I mean, it would be them or the Carters/Jay-Z as the other big hip hop headliner that fits with the festivals audience.

Chance the Rapper in 3rd down and Dave has to be there on the main stage this year. 4/5th down. Brockhampton about 6/7th down mainstage too. 

1 minute ago, R Shah said:

Royal Blood and Catfish both seem about the right size for a coheadline and it's been since 2015 for both of them. Co headline with 21P maybe? 

Any other festivals that either of them have been rumoured for?

Royal Blood yes, Catfish no.

Royal Blood to sub under Kids See Ghosts would be great for me.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Jericode said:

Kanye's actually announced yesterday he's delaying his album.

Again.

16 minutes ago, Chad888 said:

Chance the Rapper in 3rd down and Dave has to be there on the main stage this year. 4/5th down. Brockhampton about 6/7th down mainstage too. 

They could probably do 5th. No way 7th.

14 hours ago, Properbigfan said:

I know what he means about stormzy being abit of a novelty act tho

??

6 hours ago, dum surfer said:

I agree with you about all the great things his done, i said on a previous post on here that he does seem like a great guy. Its great that theres a popular muscian out there standing up against the tories, although pretty much the whole of grime scene are sending out a similar message. But anyway I was just saying my opinion about stormzy, maybe it is because i just don’t like his music, saying that though i hate twenty one pilots music but don’t disagree about them headlining reading. But maybe stormzy does deserve this as a chance to boost his career, but no other grime MC has been given a chance to headline arguably the biggest music festival in the world. Like personally i think stormzy would be a perfect fit for Parklife up in Manc like Skepta did this year

And when i was thinking of bigger artists, i was thinking if Stomzy is big enough to do it then so are people like Travis Scott, Post Malone etc. I’m not saying they should headline Glasto but if Stormzy is big enough to do it then they should be too

Because no other grime MC has penetrated the mainstream like Stormzy has or become anywhere near as big as he has. There were some people in the Glasto thread saying it should be Skepta instead, but that would be an absolutely abysmal booking.

And Glastonbury isn't R&L. Half the audience there are middle aged folk who'll know Stormzy because of him winning BRIT awards and appearing on talk shows. Now way Travis Scott or Post Malone are on their radar to anywhere near the extent that Stormzy is. There was even a thread in the Glasto section with everyone texting their 70-80 year old mums asking if they know who Stormzy is with most of them saying yes. Glastonbury has nowhere near as much of a focus on booking hip-hop as R&L does; in fact it's probably the genre it's worst at booking. The only time a hip-hop act gets a big slot at Glasto is when they're a definite household name.