Weird Placings 2017

Matt42

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Which band has the cleanest fans?

FFS Franz Ferdinand and Sparks were quite clean, although that might have been because there weren't that many of them. Ditto Sigur Ros. Suede's crowd was pretty awesome too, although someone left behind half a packet of cooked quinoa and a carrot. What was that about Glasto being middle class.......;)

On 30/05/2017 at 8:24 PM, somecoolusername said:

Sorry to burst your bubble, The National fans, but they are going to suffer the 'Beck effect'.

Putting them above Katy Perry is probably the most wtf thing on there, but it's basically exactly what they did last year with Ellie Goulding/Beck. 

At least we can expect a decent few dedicated punters to show up. I have never met someone who cares massively for Beck. 

On ‎30‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 1:14 PM, Warbler said:

Slaves Opening Other on Sunday

This is a complete mind fuck, what a ridiculous time from them to be playing?????

Surly they SHOULD and DESERVE to be much higher even to sub the other stage, how are the Kaiser fucking chiefs getting a better slot?????

RUBY RUBY FUCK OFF!!! 

On ‎30‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 4:15 PM, K2SO said:

Kaiser Chiefs' placing is confusing the shit out of me. I don't know if anyone else is as confused as I am, but I expected them to be either on Pyramid 3rd or 4th down, or maybe headline JP again.

They confuse the shit out of me regardless of stage placing 

I'll defend that Beck show till the end of time, I don't care that there were millions of twats waiting for Coldplay, he still put on a great show and I still had a good boogie down the front in a pocket of people who massively cared about Beck. I still reckon him and PJ Harvey should have swapped positions.

Fantastic on record, fantastic live, bloke's a genius with a huge catalogue of bangerz to fit whatever mood. If anything I can't understand anyone not thinking Beck is a big deal.

On 31/05/2017 at 1:04 AM, Bonaneas said:

I only mentioned one 'weird placing' so wind your neck in. I'd gladly remove each & every pop tastic act from the line up, male or female.

There's plenty of 'credible' alternative female bands and acts out there. Book them, get them on tv to inspire younger females to pick up a guitar or start singing or playing a piano or anything which is organic and not bland cheesy pop. 

"Pop music has just as much of a right to be there as alternative music." Oh Really? Do you know anything about the history of the festival? Obviously not. Who mentioned rights? It's about taste, and keeping with the alternative history of the festival not who shifts the most radio friendly units. You'll see all these pop acts on the V line up and (rightly) slag that festival off but it's okay that they're on at the farm and pushing bands down or off the bill. 

What bands are the pop acts pushing off the bill exactly. Apart from the odd exception Glastonbury books touring bands and artists and if you were to look at V's lineup most years only a small % get booked for Glastonbury, so lets stop throwing a hissy fit and exaggerating just because your a "real" music fan who seems to have a problem with pop music. 

I took the kids to Radio 1's Big Weekend on Sunday, my kids are aged 8 and 10 but have also been to Glastonbury before to see some "real" music. Stormzy played and he was one of the most pop acts I saw all day, Little Mix had more edge and substance to what they did that day, yet people are on here are complaining about Stormzys positioning on the lineup, some would be the same people who would throw a fit if Little Mix were on the Glasto lineup. After Sunday id have no problem putting them on an early pyramid slot. They could sing, had stage presence, great staging and choreography and bags of attitude. I went to see Rita Ora at Glasto in 2013 as Id never go to her own gigs and she was fantastic, really opened my eyes to how good a pop act could be, one of my highlights that year.

Another thing, while you seem to just be thinking about the so called traditions of the festival and what you think they are, don't you ever think of how the festival has evolved. There's a much wider age range attend than when I first did, a lot of families as well, hell, I took my kids to their first Glastonbury aged 2 and 4, so a little pop on the lineup doesn't hurt as parents can take their kids to these acts but then open them up to different types of music.

It certainly worked with my kids. They have great memories of Glastonbury, loved R1BW on Sunday but this year will be their 3rd year in a row at Latitude Festival, they love everything from pop, grime, indie, to blues and rock. They're having a well rounded musical education, pop playing a part in it.

3 hours ago, Fladog said:

This is a complete mind fuck, what a ridiculous time from them to be playing?????

Surly they SHOULD and DESERVE to be much higher even to sub the other stage, how are the Kaiser fucking chiefs getting a better slot?????

RUBY RUBY FUCK OFF!!! 

Slaves subbing the Other Stage?? They've already been forgotten about, haven't they? I'd have expected them a couple from the bottom of the Other Stage tbh.

2 hours ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

FTFY

I'm still so annoyed that Beck wasn't third down below Ellie Goulding. Would have made way more sense size-wise, crowd-wise (having Goulding sub Coldplay) and would have removed that ridiculous Beck/Peej clash. Instead of having a shit in my tent whilst listening to a mashup of Craig Charles on Arcadia and Catfish on Other I could have been watching Beck on the Pyramid Stage ffs.

ELO > Beck > PJ Harvey > LCD Soundsystem would have been an unbelievable end to the festival.

4 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

Slaves subbing the Other Stage?? They've already been forgotten about, haven't they? I'd have expected them a couple from the bottom of the Other Stage tbh.

I'm still so annoyed that Beck wasn't third down below Ellie Goulding. Would have made way more sense size-wise, crowd-wise (having Goulding sub Coldplay) and would have removed that ridiculous Beck/Peej clash. Instead of having a shit in my tent whilst listening to a mashup of Craig Charles on Arcadia and Catfish on Other I could have been watching Beck on the Pyramid Stage ffs.

ELO > Beck > PJ Harvey > LCD Soundsystem would have been an unbelievable end to the festival.

I'll be the one to tell him theres plenty of toilets on site

4 hours ago, swede said:

What bands are the pop acts pushing off the bill exactly. Apart from the odd exception Glastonbury books touring bands and artists and if you were to look at V's lineup most years only a small % get booked for Glastonbury, so lets stop throwing a hissy fit and exaggerating just because your a "real" music fan who seems to have a problem with pop music. 

I took the kids to Radio 1's Big Weekend on Sunday, my kids are aged 8 and 10 but have also been to Glastonbury before to see some "real" music. Stormzy played and he was one of the most pop acts I saw all day, Little Mix had more edge and substance to what they did that day, yet people are on here are complaining about Stormzys positioning on the lineup, some would be the same people who would throw a fit if Little Mix were on the Glasto lineup. After Sunday id have no problem putting them on an early pyramid slot. They could sing, had stage presence, great staging and choreography and bags of attitude. I went to see Rita Ora at Glasto in 2013 as Id never go to her own gigs and she was fantastic, really opened my eyes to how good a pop act could be, one of my highlights that year.

Another thing, while you seem to just be thinking about the so called traditions of the festival and what you think they are, don't you ever think of how the festival has evolved. There's a much wider age range attend than when I first did, a lot of families as well, hell, I took my kids to their first Glastonbury aged 2 and 4, so a little pop on the lineup doesn't hurt as parents can take their kids to these acts but then open them up to different types of music.

It certainly worked with my kids. They have great memories of Glastonbury, loved R1BW on Sunday but this year will be their 3rd year in a row at Latitude Festival, they love everything from pop, grime, indie, to blues and rock. They're having a well rounded musical education, pop playing a part in it.

R1BW did look really good this year TBF, as it does most years with a decent mix to keep everyone happy. It had two previous Glasto headliners, plus a R&L & Download headliner. Sets are a bit short though. How did you get tix, competition? 

12 minutes ago, Bonaneas said:

R1BW did look really good this year TBF, as it does most years with a decent mix to keep everyone happy. It had two previous Glasto headliners, plus a R&L & Download headliner. Sets are a bit short though. How did you get tix, competition? 

It was in my hometown so the tickets were given based on postcode, you just had to buy them off ticketmaster like you would any other tickets, all you had to pay was the £8 P&P charge.

1 minute ago, Purple aki squat said:

The national and FJM overlapping pisses me off as does Radiohead and flaming lips clash, absolutely stupid that.

Agree with points made about Annie Mac and yes Busted will be rimmed.

Do they know about this and they are agreeable to it.