The state of the ground.

Sawdusty surfer

2014's a funny one...not good, not awful seems a fair assessment, as at the end I remember saying to one of my friends (who I hadnt spent much time with) that we'd been so lucky with the weather, and she looked at me and said "are you mad? It rained loads and the mud was terrible!" It was like we'd been at different festivals. I would be alright with that exact same weather again tbh, although would obviously prefer a "good possibly great"! Although, after last year, anything better than that would be nice :-)

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

I say all this.. if I was offered those conditions for a guaranteed ticket every year I would be there!

Yeh me too, 100%. Not sure everyone in my crew would agree. And not sure if I could say the same about 2007. I wasn't there, but my friend who is a glasto nut admitted that by sunday night he was "ready to leave".

Ask me that again in October 2019 if I've just failed to get a ticket and you might well get a different answer

2015 was fantastic imho. There was a heavy downpour during mary j Blige but other than that, I thought it was perfect from memory? 

2016 - the mud was awful, but certainly didn't stop my enjoyment of the festival, except when stuck in a rather unsafe feeling spot in the Shangai la mud!

2011 was worse than 2016 due to it actually raining a lot of the festival I think. 

Can't comment on 05/07 comparisons as I wasn't there! 

09/13/14 were all pretty decent.  

Edited by Robster86

1 minute ago, Sasperella said:

Yeh me too, 100%. Not sure everyone in my crew would agree. And not sure if I could say the same about 2007. I wasn't there, but my friend who is a glasto nut admitted that by sunday night he was "ready to leave".

Ask me that again in October 2019 if I've just failed to get a ticket and you might well get a different answer

And you'd be a year late, Sas! You'll be wanting to bag that Golden Ticket in October 2018!!

:)

Ben

9 minutes ago, Fork_UK said:

Wow.  Seems my little maths fact thing really puffed a lot of chests up.  It was just a light hearted, playful little thinking-aloud reply.  I don't actually think it's a fact, nor am I praying to any gods.  

I can't speak for anyone else's intent, but I was just taking your joke and running with it, and I thought that's what everyone else was doing, but who can tell with text?

I'll take both blind belief in mathematics and gods if it will improve the weather :) 

10 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I can't speak for anyone else's intent, but I was just taking your joke and running with it, and I thought that's what everyone else was doing, but who can tell with text?

I'll take both blind belief in mathematics and gods if it will improve the weather :) 

It's entirely possible that I read the replies with the wrong tone :)

Wow, I'd given this thread a bit of a wide berth cos I thought it was going to be a bit boring, but having read the first page and seen the link to the one from last year, it really got my interest going - I then had to watch all the videos and go through the pages to check all the heartache and blind optimism on display. Fantastic reading! The start to this thread seems to be a bit lighter so far but there's still a long way to go. Really hoping for a nice temp between 20 and 23 for the whole fest. Light showers to keep the dust down and the ground nice and spongey for dancing and boogeying. Even still, from what I remember, 2010 was great but I was thoroughly unprepared for, 2009 started awful but turned good. 2014 was a mixture. 2011 was good but there was a sudden lull that forced some stages to stop, but apart from that it was pretty good too overall. There's always some mud but please not like some of the vids of 2016!

Edited by simian_mobile_mushrooms

30 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

Yeah I think in the quieter places it was fine. One that sticks in my mind was trying to get into Shangri La. It was ridiculous. Just a load of people stuck in the mud with more people coming up behind them, causing a bit of a bottleneck and people falling over even more. The mud was over the height of my welly at one point.

I say all this.. if I was offered those conditions for a guaranteed ticket every year I would be there!

28 minutes ago, shoptildrop said:

2016 was like walking through cement in places, wouldn't have called it a breeze but least it didn't rain constantly either

Didn't make it up to Shangri-La last year so don't know what that was like! The only particularly hairy moments I remember were coming down from The Park after Richard Hawley on Friday night and going from the Avalon into the Cabaret fields at some point.

Think my memory might be slightly clouded in that they did a decent job of putting woodchips down in Silver Hayes so our trips to and from Bushy Ground were a lot easier than they have been in the past!

I thought the weather during the festival was actually ok last year. There was a bit of rain yeah but plenty of sun, I got burned on Saturday. The mud was tough at times, other stage field and Shangri La being particularily bad, but that was mostly due to the weather before the fest not during.

my point is, if we hadn't had that massive deluge right before the fest everyone would be saying the weather was grand. 

Edited by Madyaker

19 minutes ago, Andeeroo said:

Didn't make it up to Shangri-La last year so don't know what that was like! The only particularly hairy moments I remember were coming down from The Park after Richard Hawley on Friday night and going from the Avalon into the Cabaret fields at some point.

Think my memory might be slightly clouded in that they did a decent job of putting woodchips down in Silver Hayes so our trips to and from Bushy Ground were a lot easier than they have been in the past!

Silver Haynes, Arcadia (fell over every time through there), Shangri la, parts of West holts, Greenpeace field and Greenfields all cement like and could be quite hairy when crowded 

even walking back on the railway line from Avalon one night was so crowded and the mud on the sides/people's feet or wherever made me a bit scared during that journey that I was gonna fall and get crushed  :(

enjoyed the festival but that cement was no fun!!!

24 minutes ago, Madyaker said:

I thought the weather during the festival was actually ok last year. There was a bit of rain yeah but plenty of sun, I got burned on Saturday. The mud was tough at times, other stage field and Shangri La being particularily bad, but that was mostly due to the weather before the fest not during.

my point is, if we hadn't had that massive deluge right before the fest everyone would be saying the weather was grand. 

Totally agree weather wise it wasn't bad

5 minutes ago, shoptildrop said:

Silver Haynes, Arcadia (fell over every time through there), Shangri la, parts of West holts, Greenpeace field and Greenfields all cement like and could be quite hairy when crowded 

even walking back on the railway line from Avalon one night was so crowded and the mud on the sides/people's feet or wherever made me a bit scared during that journey that I was gonna fall and get crushed  :(

enjoyed the festival but that cement was no fun!!!

Get some better boots!

Seriously, the only time I fell over was when I was dancing like a loon to Craig Charles.  Whereas my wellied companions were always going over.

Proper lashed it down on Thursday afternoon last year. And rained again on Saturday, just as the ground was drying a touch. Nope, it was bollocks. Rained every day i think. Not continuously, granted. But enough to be a pain in the arse.

1 hour ago, Fork_UK said:

Wow.  Seems my little maths fact thing really puffed a lot of chests up.  It was just a light hearted, playful little thinking-aloud reply.  I don't actually think it's a fact, nor am I praying to any gods.  

I got mixed up and thought this was the weather thread. I wouldn't have got so serious if I had bothered to even look at the name of the thread. The weather is a serious matter! I just try and contain the seriousness to the relevant thread.

Last year was my first glasto! The mud was pretty hellish I thought in fact my welly got stuck in shangrila on the Saturday night, and climbing up to the sign on Sunday resulted in me being completely covered in mud from head to foot but was pretty hilarious to be honest!! Other than the mud I thought the weather was pretty good and I came home looking like I'd been on my jollies with freckles aplenty! 

10 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Get some better boots!

Seriously, the only time I fell over was when I was dancing like a loon to Craig Charles.  Whereas my wellied companions were always going over.

I've got great walking boots thank you!!!

its the fact that it was really busy and people were trying to move along but getting stuck, it was actually quite scary a times and just because you didn't experience it doesn't mean it didn't happen 

12 minutes ago, Fork_UK said:

Anyone have a link to last year's weather thread?  Someone mentioned a link to it was in this thread, but I can't find it.

I think every year's weather thread is pretty much identical, to be honest, dude. 

The thing that got to me about the mud last year was that it seemed to be in this perpetual cycle of drying out. It would rain and turn to soupy mud, then start to dry into sloppy mud, then eventually become that nightmarish glue....

And then it would rain again and we'd have soupy mud.

1 hour ago, Andeeroo said:

Bad 

1 hour ago, stuartbert two hats said:

And me.  They might all hate us both :D

Just to clarify, I liked this because it make me chuckle and not because I hate you both :)

As for walking boots....im a bit tempted. I didnt actually fall over last year, altho one welly did get stuck in the mud and come off, i somehow managed to avert disaster (or even a muddy foot) despite being absolutely spangdangled. However, walking boots are more comfy. I have had some notable accidents in walking boots tho...often get the lace of one stuck in the hook of the other. This has ended in disaster before now, and not sure I dare risk it after many ciders and god knows what else!