Common misconceptions about Glasto from people who haven't been?

OneLittleFish

On 08/05/2017 at 7:04 AM, Mardy said:

That Friday in 2011, you could have been in North Sea sou'wester oilskins, still bloody miserable.

Please don't remind me.  I remember wandering up to the park to see Big Audio Dynamite and the miserable faces I passed were not what I want to see at Glastonbury and that was before the real rain came.

My night was saved when I was trudging along the railway line before Primal Scream, soaked to the skin and bumped into an old workmate, we sat and enjoyed a spinach curry in undleground, catching up before going our separate ways (he to go to bed before an early shift and me to see Bobby and the boys on one of their rare on days).

It was bloody miserable, you couldn't roll a spliff in it, hell you could barely light one.  If you drank a pint from the bars it refilled with rain faster than you could drink it.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, DJ Cull said:

So I did the map thing & put it on Canary Wharf (where I work) & the Isle of Dogs - it's pretty much the same size! Lots of amazed faces here as they can now understand it.

IMG_0065.PNG

That's just proven my argument with a mate that you could hold a festival of Glastonbury's size in Sutton Park in Birmingham.

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass said:

That's just proven my argument with a mate that you could hold a festival of Glastonbury's size in Sutton Park in Birmingham.

Don't forget you need to add cv fields, wv and car parks to size of the festival

On 5/7/2017 at 11:56 PM, rivalschools.price said:

Yeah, Download (and Reading for that matter) has better bands for me personally.The Glastonbury line up has very little for me but I still love just wondering around and always have a good time.

Glastonbury isn't just about the line-up but it's impossible to explain that to someone who hasn't been.

Glastonbury is a festivals not a gig in a field!!

On 5/9/2017 at 1:40 PM, Sasperella said:

Ha, turns out the map matches almost perfectly in size with my Mum's town (Brackley) but with 165,000 more people in it. Yikes. That's even made my head swirl a bit and I've been!!!

Brackley?

I grew up near (and went to school in) Buckingham, Sassy!

Ben

So all we need to do is drag the shape around roughly 100 miles north of where it is now to find possible sites for "Variety Bazaar".

Seriously - I've been comparing the number of steps I'm currently doing per day to what I did at the farm in the last few years and I better get some serious walking practice in.

I normally struggle to break 6 miles a day when at work. But apart from 2016 (where the mud nearly killed me) I average a marathon every day at Glasto.

Until I showed the guys at work the map overlay.- they couldn't work out how I'd managed to bimble 25 miles a day at a festival.

Edited by Penrhos

On 2017-5-7 at 10:09 PM, ian the worm said:

- Are you doing Glastonbury again this year?

- Yep can't wait!

- Who's playing?

- Don't know!

'Did you see the Rolling Stones?'

'No'

'Oh... did you just go back to the campsite then?'

On 08/05/2017 at 10:48 AM, Junglist1981 said:

I used to enjoy baiting those people up. I have now matured (slightly).

As you say though, some seriously bitter folk. So glad I don't have to go to a festival with any of them.

Used to do exactly the same myself, I've had people CALL ME ALL SORTS OF C*NT etc

Edited by the beadle
shorten

On 08/05/2017 at 2:04 PM, Room to sway said:

I've also had a slightly patronising "It's great you've never grown up" from a relative with kids. I'm single with no kids and I'm 39 (I turn 40 a month after Glasto I CAN'T WAIT FOR THAT) but apparently wanting to let go and enoy yourself for five days means you've never grown up???

I get loads of that. Gonna be 63 by the time I get there, wouldn't want to be anywhere else.

Edited by the beadle
correction