Block 9

fatyeti24

1 minute ago, ghostdancer1 said:

fair play to NYCDL but I'll probably have to give that a miss given how utterly rammed it'll be and the queues to get in.

i just hope it's on the sunday evening and more like a 3am start, it won't be a massive difference, but it wouldn't be as busy as it would be at say 1am on the Saturday evening

i'll be there regardless 

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just looking up what exactly 'Hercules & Love Affair Soundsystem' is, seems like it's halfway between a live set and a DJ set - some H&LA songs, some 'house classics', with Andy DJing and Gustaph and Rouge singing/MCing. 

I'd prefer a proper live set but I'll definitely take this, especially if it's after hours

Edited by pastorofmuppets
fixing link

Despite attending 6 festivals, I've still never managed the south east corner (at night)

To clarify, do you queue to get into the area and then queue again to get into block 9 or one of the other specific parts of south east corner?

Is there anywhere less likely to be awful to get into? It's mainly that which has put us off...

5 minutes ago, Laurenkfj said:

Despite attending 6 festivals, I've still never managed the south east corner (at night)

To clarify, do you queue to get into the area and then queue again to get into block 9 or one of the other specific parts of south east corner?

Is there anywhere less likely to be awful to get into? It's mainly that which has put us off...

All depends on what time you're trying to get there. If you head to the SEC after the Pyramid/Other headliners finish and drag your heels, the queues to get into the SEC (through Glasto Latino) can be quite huge. Then getting into one of the other areas (Block 9, The Common, Shangri-La, Unfairground) depends on how many people already there. The stewards will block off entry to some areas some of the time if they feel capacity is becoming dangerous...

Ben

2 minutes ago, simian_mobile_mushrooms said:

IT is shocking how ruddy bad I am with DJs and names and what they play etc. Could someone recommend some of these guys as a starter? Just a few would do

Depends what you like. There are quite a lot of diverse genres represented in that list!

Ben

1 minute ago, bennyhana22 said:

Depends what you like. There are quite a lot of diverse genres represented in that list!

Ben

Shows how irgnorant I am when it comes to the guys playing late at night really!

I like to dance and I like most types of music really. Funk, soul, d&b... nothing too slow really or anything I can't dance to basically. Any ideas?

1 minute ago, simian_mobile_mushrooms said:

IT is shocking how ruddy bad I am with DJs and names and what they play etc. Could someone recommend some of these guys as a starter? Just a few would do

They're quite separated by venue. NYC Downlow will host more housey/disco sounds. Genosys has more of a techno edge - both that classic Detroit & more modern, I guess, "European". London Underground is a bit muddier I guess, but somewhere inbetween. Though I've never been in, so don't know what the vibe is like. I'd suggest popping by the Electronica/Dance thread - it'll get more traffic and everyone in there is sound - with a few examples of what you like/know. 

This looks awesome! I had no joy in 2015 twice when I tried to get to Block 9. One of the times was to see Nicky Blackmarket on the Thurs at about 5pm and the queue was INSANE but then I guess it was popular as the main stages aren't open then. so am I right in thinking - get down there early evening and you have more of a chance?

Just now, hannahlmoore said:

This looks awesome! I had no joy in 2015 twice when I tried to get to Block 9. One of the times was to see Nicky Blackmarket on the Thurs at about 5pm and the queue was INSANE but then I guess it was popular as the main stages aren't open then. so am I right in thinking - get down there early evening and you have more of a chance?

Best thing to do is if you are not so bothered about a headliner is leave 15 mins or so before the end of the set and get in where you want, very easy to get in these especially NYC

5 minutes ago, MrZigster said:

Am I the only old git who doesn't know a single act on that poster?

Hercules & Love Affair have been around a fair while, no? Probably going on 10 years if not more. The last time they played they did west holts on a full band live show.

Masters at Work are Kenny Dope and Little Louie Vega who have been around a long time. They have remixed some very, very big names in the world of pop and beyond.

Granted you may only know these names if you are into your dance music

MASTERS AT WORK!!!

For those that are asking, a great Boiler Room Set here, covers lots of 90s/80s and even some Stevie wonder and Bob Marley

Highlights for my taste are from 45 mins in, although track 2 is brilliant

Masters at Work Boiler Room

My Favourite Song - Masters At Work - To Be In Love

Heidi Boiler Room - Shes also a bloody lovely woman if you meet her

Nuyorican Soul - Runaway, Masters at Work other alias

2 hours ago, simian_mobile_mushrooms said:

absolutely stellar mix from start to finish. If you want to see the maturest and most polished form of house music about then Steffi is the one.

56 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

Beautifully succinct.

Brevity will be rewarded, Matthew

Ben

Steffi & Virginia, Blawan, Pearson Sound, Masters At Work

some of my favourite DJs and they are at bloc 9... with many stages still tba

I am one happy bunny