Block 9

fatyeti24

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 hours ago, Matt - Ed Banger Records said:

If you head down there on Thursday early evening you can get in without any trouble at all, just make sure to keep the moustache you purchase for future visits - I have always lost mine and had to repurchase, but it's for charity so no great drama.

Normally if you get down there after the headliners you can still get in okay. The queues always look long, but they move quickly, especially London Underground.

I'm delighted to see that DJ Flight is back playing London Underground :)

That MAW booking is mad! Fingers crossed they'll play somewhere else a little bigger as well. And their Nuyorican Soul set needs to be outside in the glorious sunshine, surely. With Norman Jay playing on either side.

11 minutes ago, Junglist1981 said:

I'm delighted to see that DJ Flight is back playing London Underground :)

That MAW booking is mad! Fingers crossed they'll play somewhere else a little bigger as well. And their Nuyorican Soul set needs to be outside in the glorious sunshine, surely. With Norman Jay playing on either side.

Was thinking that the Nuyorican Soul slot could be the genosys opening on the Thursday

28 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

Really, S2H?

Or have I missed a pun?

Child 1 saw her last week at Lost and Found in Malta and said she was amazing (and well...), possibly the set of the festival for him, in fact.

Ben

D'oh.... :) It's not your fault, it's some real high level punning :rolleyes: and across no less than two individual boards if I'm not mistaken!

2 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

And I was worried, because Heidi is very high on my list!!

:)

Ben

Yeh me too, I've not seen here before! She'll be on late late though right? I'm sure this has been asked before, and I really should be able to remember, but what time do Block 9 etc get going? I seem to remember being down there dancing quite early on the Friday night last year, I think while Muse/Sigor Ros were on, but any definite concept of time was really out of the window already by that point

Block 9 starts up at 4pm and goes through 'til 6am.

As you would expect, the bigger name artists are on later - 1.00-1.30am is a typical point when the big hitters might start.

My understanding is that Heidi is in London Underground on Saturday. It'll be interesting to see that line-up as I have a feeling she may be placed between artists from quite different genres - i.e. in a D'n'B/Dubstep sandwich!

Ben

30 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

Block 9 starts up at 4pm and goes through 'til 6am.

As you would expect, the bigger name artists are on later - 1.00-1.30am is a typical point when the big hitters might start.

My understanding is that Heidi is in London Underground on Saturday. It'll be interesting to see that line-up as I have a feeling she may be placed between artists from quite different genres - i.e. in a D'n'B/Dubstep sandwich!

Ben

A DnB/dubstep sandwich with a Heidi filling!? Good lord! :lol:

9 minutes ago, Mezhyp1 said:

Where did that Heidi in London Underground stuff come from? I thought that was a misplacing on the rumours page, I'm sure she only stressed 'block 9'

Gah.

Have tried to find the reference again as I am sure that someone had said she was LU Saturday.

I hope not, really, as I'd rather she was Genosys or NYCD, though I'm thinking the latter is less likely?

Ben

14 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

Gah.

Have tried to find the reference again as I am sure that someone had said she was LU Saturday.

I hope not, really, as I'd rather she was Genosys or NYCD, though I'm thinking the latter is less likely?

Ben

I'd have had her down as a Genosys cert Benny

54 minutes ago, Plumb111 said:

Is Genosys the one that is outside - Therefore no queue - it all gets a bit confusing for me late at night... only found out on here that London Underground had an inside section.

Genosys the large block, DJ at the bottom and mental light installation 

London Underground the block of flats, you go down a door at the bottom into the darkness 

All the rest on the left Downlow/Meat Rack (excluding very bottom which is the staff bar, the name eludes me) 

2 minutes ago, Mezhyp1 said:

Genosys the large block, DJ at the bottom and mental light installation 

London Underground the block of flats, you go down a door at the bottom into the darkness 

All the rest on the left Downlow/Meat Rack (excluding very bottom which is the staff bar, the name eludes me) 

Maceo's, I think.

21 hours ago, Mezhyp1 said:

I dare you to look at what Blawan does live and say he isn't a musician. 

Here's a kinda idea 

live-artists-kareen.jpg

OK Dare accepted. Nice set up. Was intrigued.

Watched the first three and a bit minutes of this: (Edit: plus a lot more whilst typing).

I was hoping to be a bit more impressed. That was three and a bit minutes of the same chord sequence over and over (sequence being the operative word) plus a drum machine (or six). They are more like Conductors of Robots (I'm calling that band name) than musicians. I'll give them Sound Engineers to be generous. I'm sure that half of the time though they are only pretending to be actually doing anything, as they appear to be tweaking knobs without the music seemingly changing one bit. If I could see that they were actually programming most of those riffs on the fly I'd probably appreciate it a bit more I think.

Love him or loath him, at least with someone like Ed Sheeran you'd get to see him play his guitar riff into his gadget live before he hits the 'play that bit over and over and over again whilst I record another riff over the top of it' button. Oh, and then he'll sing whilst playing another riff over what he's already laid down (live).

I'm not saying I don't appreciate it (a bit). I'm not adverse to the club vibe and I dabbled with machine music myself many moons ago. I just feel there is a huge difference between musicianship and hitting a button to start/stop another pre-programmed sequence or twisting a knob to alter a sound envelope here and there (whilst looking extremely earnest and serious). 

11 hours ago, MrZigster said:

OK Dare accepted. Nice set up. Was intrigued.

Watched the first three and a bit minutes of this: (Edit: plus a lot more whilst typing).

I was hoping to be a bit more impressed. That was three and a bit minutes of the same chord sequence over and over (sequence being the operative word) plus a drum machine (or six). They are more like Conductors of Robots (I'm calling that band name) than musicians. I'll give them Sound Engineers to be generous. I'm sure that half of the time though they are only pretending to be actually doing anything, as they appear to be tweaking knobs without the music seemingly changing one bit. If I could see that they were actually programming most of those riffs on the fly I'd probably appreciate it a bit more I think.

Love him or loath him, at least with someone like Ed Sheeran you'd get to see him play his guitar riff into his gadget live before he hits the 'play that bit over and over and over again whilst I record another riff over the top of it' button. Oh, and then he'll sing whilst playing another riff over what he's already laid down (live).

I'm not saying I don't appreciate it (a bit). I'm not adverse to the club vibe and I dabbled with machine music myself many moons ago. I just feel there is a huge difference between musicianship and hitting a button to start/stop another pre-programmed sequence or twisting a knob to alter a sound envelope here and there (whilst looking extremely earnest and serious). 

I guess it just depends on what floats your boat and what doesn't, but also what you 'expect' from a particular artist or type of music.

I don't listen to a huge number of genres, but those that I like a quite different to one another. I like indie folk stuff. I like ambient. I like drone. I like ambient drone.

And I love techno. Part of what I love about techno is the repetition, with subtle shifts and changes. It is very much a music to enjoy when you're there. I do like to listen/watch online, but it is in no way the same experience as being at a live event. It's the mesmeric repetition that is so enthralling when you are in that moment, almost trance like, dancing in time and in sync with the beats.

With seemingly 'less accessible' artists like Blawan/Karenn, that need to be there is even more enhanced. It's easy to stick a Ben Klock set on YouTube and listen to the bangers and 'get it'. It's not as simple as that with artists like Blawan who principally play live, building texture and structure over their own foundations often without any hugely obvious 'tracks'. But when they get that right, creating pretty much brand new music there and then for you, you can become part of that musical event, not just witness to it. And that, if you like that sort of thing, can feel incredibly special and a bit of an honour. If that translates to the whole crowd and it's a good one, the interaction between what to some just seems to be a knob-twiddler and the crowd can become euphoric.

God, I can't wait until June now...

:)

Ben

Edited by bennyhana22