Lorde

jyoung

16 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Have a feeling she might not be booked if she’s only accepting headline bookings on this festival tour. 

She was a headline name at Primavera in 2018 and didn't even headline at Parklife a week later. I wouldn't worry about that too much. 

15 minutes ago, kingcrawler said:

She was a headline name at Primavera in 2018 and didn't even headline at Parklife a week later. I wouldn't worry about that too much. 

Rumblings she’s in contention for headline slots at US festivals so I’m concerned she may be on the headline circuit. Which could make her an option for APE / Parklife / those kinda shows. I could also see her headlining Latitude maybe?

55 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Rumblings she’s in contention for headline slots at US festivals so I’m concerned she may be on the headline circuit. Which could make her an option for APE / Parklife / those kinda shows. I could also see her headlining Latitude maybe?

Yeah Latitiude seems a decent shout for a headline slot, as does APE.

Still wouldn’t put her anywhere headlining the big one though. Could easily see her stepping into either LDR or Dua’s slots if either don’t return next year.

39 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Yeah Latitiude seems a decent shout for a headline slot, as does APE.

Still wouldn’t put her anywhere headlining the big one though. Could easily see her stepping into either LDR or Dua’s slots if either don’t return next year.

Yeah what I mean is she may take the mid-sized festival route which means she’s a bona fide headliner at each, rather than sub duties at majors.

I think she would be a very strong other headliner. Perhaps a good shout if Dua is no longer taking the Saturday?

Edited by Matt42

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

Yeah what I mean is she may take the mid-sized festival route which means she’s a bona fide headliner at each, rather than sub duties at majors.

I think she would be a very strong other headliner. Perhaps a good shout if Dua is no longer taking the Saturday?

Yeah if she’s about next year she’s either subbing the Pyramid or headlining the Other.

Either would work for her.

My early concern is she's up against Macca. Normally I'd say Macca is a must-see, but I missed Lorde last time out and it still feels painful. I'd probably have to see Macca, but missing Lorde again would be even more painful than last time. Basically, Pyramid sub please, but we're now looking at a lot of names for just three slots there.

3 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Bonnaroo is out of the question since W2 Primavera would be potentially at the same time. She'll only end up on the ones that have lots of spots to fill and some mid size ones that you could justify it. Coachella isnt going to put Lorde up top when theres a lot bigger acts to be had. Lollapalooza and Austin City Limits all have 6 - 8 ''headliner'' spots which can be a good veil of headline status for acts. Then she will be a reasonable name for a  Governors Ball, Bottle Rock and Life is Beautiful which only have 30 - 40k daily attendance. Osheaga in Canada will probably book her as a headliner. They had Lizzo at the top of a day with Lewis Capaldi subbing for their original 2020 lineup which sounds like a very uk thing to do. If Firefly booked her which would be the week after W2 Prima then who knows what else happens if she is going to jet around and do one off fest dates.

Edited by Suprefan

36 minutes ago, jparx said:

My early concern is she's up against Macca. Normally I'd say Macca is a must-see, but I missed Lorde last time out and it still feels painful. I'd probably have to see Macca, but missing Lorde again would be even more painful than last time. Basically, Pyramid sub please, but we're now looking at a lot of names for just three slots there.

Precisely this!

Lorde into Macca would actually be a vibe tbh

9 hours ago, jparx said:

I would absolutely kick Macca to the curb to *not* miss Lorde on this album tour. This is probably going to be the peak point in her career.

47 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I would absolutely kick Macca to the curb to *not* miss Lorde on this album tour. This is probably going to be the peak point in her career.

A young artist at their peak who could become a legend, vs a legend after their peak but the last chance to see them. Horrendous choice - let’s hope it doesn’t come to that!

Just now, scattered_screens said:

Keep her in the back pocket for a headlining 2023 slot. She can do it - pyramid sub would be criminal and she's already headlined the other.

She subbed Other in ‘17, and she’s never gonna headline the big one unfortunately. Other headliner or Pyramid sub is her ceiling for sure so either of those slots next year would be perfect. 

1 minute ago, scattered_screens said:

Keep her in the back pocket for a headlining 2023 slot. She can do it - pyramid sub would be criminal and she's already headlined the other.

Lorde seems to be the type to be around for a short period of time and then disappear. No guarantee she will even be touring in 2023 and may be on hiatus. 

13 minutes ago, jparx said:

A young artist at their peak who could become a legend, vs a legend after their peak but the last chance to see them. Horrendous choice - let’s hope it doesn’t come to that!

Lorde’s 2017 set was one of my favourite Glastonbury moments. Definitely one of my top 5 sets. She’s really that good. I had to leave early to catch Radiohead so it feels like a bit of unfinished business for me..

Just now, FloorFiller said:

She subbed Other in ‘17, and she’s never gonna headline the big one unfortunately. Other headliner or Pyramid sub is her ceiling for sure so either of those slots next year would be perfect. 

My mistake, thought she headlined it. Ceiling for sure though? She's two albums into her career, still relatively early doors.

26 minutes ago, jparx said:

Yeah horrible thought and i know I’d 100% go Macca but would be very annoying to miss her, however…. I’ll take all the clashes in the world to actually have it going ahead next year (can someone remind me of this when I moan about clashes please)

35 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

NEVER? That’s a bold call when she’s only 24.

2 minutes ago, jparx said:

NEVER? That’s a bold call when she’s only 24.

I just don’t see it. Think commercially she’s as big as she’ll ever get and will continue at this level for the foreseeable. Obviously I’ve no idea what direction she’ll take in the future or if one of her songs becomes a Royals-esque mega hit which could change my opinion, but I think she’ll instead sit as a critical darling, huge in indie and music lover circles but never ascend to the mega star status a Glastonbury headliner (imo) requires. 

Love to be proven wrong though, and I’m incredibly stoked to hear her new stuff and then see her at Primavera next year.