Lorde

jyoung

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I'll look into it, but it's possible that Primal Scream may have some Stones influences.

I watched an interview with Lorde and Zane Lowe in which she said she hadn't heard Primal Scream prior but contacted them when the similarities were pointed out to her. 

55 minutes ago, nikkic said:

Lorde into Kendrick would be an exceptional few hours 

Since Kendrick tends to do somewhat shorter headline sets, might allow for the set times to shuffle forward a touch and Lorde to play a bit later so it's darker for her set, which would be very nice.

Edited by jparx

5 hours ago, jparx said:

Solar Power feels like it's gaining a bit of momentum now after the tepid launch and leak.

Just top 10, cant even bother with # 1. Oh yeah and Kendrick performing for 90 mins is short? Stormzy did 75 min in 2019.

Edited by Suprefan

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

Weren’t you guys agreeing yesterday that commercial failures didn’t matter because she was more about doing things on her own terms at her own pace? Are you suggesting she is lifted up bills as a reward for the bravery of opting out of mass sales?

I don’t see how she can be anything lower than a sub, but I am a massive fan so maybe not.

12 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

I think she could sub. She’s no smaller than The National or Tame Impala or other more indie leaning subs they’ve had in the past. If Lana is out then Lorde in instead seems like a pretty good switcheroo.

She's no smaller than acts who play arenas and post higher chart successes? Ones who headlined/were booked to headline All Points East whereas she headlined the second stage at a day that didn't sell out?

More pertinently, she was booked for slots in 2017 based on the expected success of Melodrama. Whether she achieved it or not is an argument that has been had, but is she now expected to deliver a more successful album to take her up the bill?

I'm guessing the answers to all those things will be a resounding "yes!" despite the facts but I'm just laying it out to show where I'm coming from. It seems like a bit of an echo chamber thing with Lorde.

17 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

She’s number 11 in the midweek charts which is higher than any of her songs have charted since Royals so maybe I’m wrong and this is her big crowning glory.

I didn’t expect this song to chart as it’s not really a charty single so any success is great success. In the same way that I didn’t hold my breath for anything from folklore/evermore to sweep the singles charts.

Edited by Matt42

6 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

She’s number 11 in the midweek charts which is higher than any of her songs have charted since Royals so maybe I’m wrong and this is her big crowning glory.

Yeah I think there’s a bit more hype around her now. Melodrama might not have done so well chart wise but in the years since it’s release it’s often been regarded as one of the best albums of the decade, popped up near the top of most top 100 lists etc. She’s no longer just ‘that girl who did Royals’ and is a genuine star whose next move is watched over by music fans.

The album might end up being a disappointment, who knows, but I think right now she’s gonna be riding the hype train hard and a Pyramid sub slot wouldn’t at all seem out of place. That said, she could also just get the third down pop slot (did we have one of those for 2020?) or even headline Other if one of those has become vacant, but as it stands we know we’ve got a couple of sub slots that seem like they need to be filled if Lana is out, Noel doesn’t return, or whoever was on before Taylor is no longer a goer (I’m still assuming it was Mumfords and that they won’t be rebooked for it).

2 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

Yeah I think there’s a bit more hype around her now. Melodrama might not have done so well chart wise but in the years since it’s release it’s often been regarded as one of the best albums of the decade, popped up near the top of most top 100 lists etc. She’s no longer just ‘that girl who did Royals’ and is a genuine star whose next move is watched over by music fans.

The album might end up being a disappointment, who knows, but I think right now she’s gonna be riding the hype train hard and a Pyramid sub slot wouldn’t at all seem out of place. That said, she could also just get the third down pop slot (did we have one of those for 2020?) or even headline Other if one of those has become vacant, but as it stands we know we’ve got a couple of sub slots that seem like they need to be filled if Lana is out, Noel doesn’t return, or whoever was on before Taylor is no longer a goer (I’m still assuming it was Mumfords and that they won’t be rebooked for it).

I think most people assumed it was Camilla Cabello but I imagine she was maybe a bit lower than third down.....