2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

7 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Who has? Name names.

I think R.E.M were supposed to have done it for free or cheap the second time. I don’t think that’s the only incident I’ve heard of either but still.

Though, waiving a fee probably means “add it to the charity kitty” rather than “give it to Mick Fleetwood”.

No reason to think The Cure would be doing it for free, especially with their fraught relationship with the fest.

1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

I think R.E.M were supposed to have done it for free or cheap the second time. I don’t think that’s the only incident I’ve heard of either but still.

Though, waiving a fee probably means “add it to the charity kitty” rather than “give it to Mick Fleetwood”.

No reason to think The Cure would be doing it for free, especially with their fraught relationship with the fest.

Yep. Coldplay have done it "for free" at least once, but what that actually meant was donating their fee to the festivals charities.

1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

Exactly, an act might donate their fee, that's up to them, but the festival are still paying someone. It costs the acts money to put on a headline show (who was it recently who lost money on one?) and I assume that the actual fee donated is after that is taken into account.

4 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

As far as "literally it" goes, Emily telling a room full of people is a pretty big it.

@crazyfool1 was there and confirmed what was said.

You may need one of these...

Screenshot_20190131-114358_Chrome.thumb.jpg.42df4282132d4906b5dcb37c00551d08.jpg

Possibly! ‘Have not booked....’ said in October, is hardly ‘will not be appearing....’ though is it? I’m not denying it was said; just that it’s not a rule out in any serious way. 

Just now, Hugh Jass said:

(who was it recently who lost money on one?)

According to Michael, U2 did, between private jets to get them to/from their shows in the US 2 days before and 2 days after, and all the extra screens and staging they brought in.

2 minutes ago, incident said:

According to Michael, U2 did, between private jets to get them to/from their shows in the US 2 days before and 2 days after, and all the extra screens and staging they brought in.

That's right, Bono's phone bill after ringing the international space station mid-set must have been pretty high too.

10 minutes ago, Blisterpack said:

Possibly! ‘Have not booked....’ said in October, is hardly ‘will not be appearing....’ though is it? I’m not denying it was said; just that it’s not a rule out in any serious way. 

Depends if they had their headliners booked at the time. If they did, then it's not them, if not it's still a long shot due to the fees.

From what Neil has said though, the only time Emily has said an act was not booked and they did turn up was Stevie Wonder. After that, I'd say she's less likely to rule someone out unless it 100% isn't them.

Personally, I’d say they’d have exhausted their efforts on persuading Madonna or Fleetwood Mac, arguably some more names, before they turned to The Cure in/before August. To hope for such a name to replace Macca since November or so seems unreasonable to me.

Edited by dentalplan

6 minutes ago, mufcok said:

What's the situation with The Killers, we've not actually had any info at all on them have we? Only Fleetwood Mac and The Strokes with a scrap of potential info on them at the moment for the third slot?

Not heard Killers touted by anyone with contacts/'in the know' yet so not really sure where it started tbh.

6 minutes ago, mufcok said:

What's the situation with The Killers, we've not actually had any info at all on them have we? Only Fleetwood Mac and The Strokes with a scrap of potential info on them at the moment for the third slot?

I think its because they have recently announced that they'll be active, and they are eminently gettable for the festival

1 minute ago, jessden89 said:

Why is everyone saying 'replace Macca'? Have I missed something?

Is there any evidence to suggest he was ever booked in the first place? And if so why would he pull out?

there's no evidence but there are some rumours and some suggestive facts with stuff like tour dates.

And it wouldn't really be "pulled out" I don't think, more likely to be that things didn't come together in the end for him to be able to do.

46 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I read somewhere that The Cure are happily accepting smaller fees as they want to play at fests etc that they have never played before (see their Euro dates), so money doesn't really seem to be a huge motivator. Is it officially a farewell tour, does anyone know?

Just now, Homer said:

I read somewhere that The Cure are happily accepting smaller fees as they want to play at fests etc that they have never played before (see their Euro dates), so money doesn't really seem to be a huge motivator. Is it officially a farewell tour, does anyone know?

Glastonbury will be a smaller fee anyway... and they’ve played it three times!

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Was the pre or post Emily ruling them out?

I think it was post mate. It was the same day Space Monkeys played Manchester Academy. Just had a look and that was Sat 3rd Nov.

The same person also said Bon Jovi were playing as well.

5 minutes ago, Honeybane said:

Neil, on what basis are the Killers 'R' now? And when did you update it? Think some info completely went over my head lol

i just added them.

NME have run a story in the last 24 hours that the killers currently have the bookies odds which make them most likely - and for the money to be going on them to do that, there must be something going around.

Just now, eFestivals said:

i just added them.

NME have run a story in the last 24 hours that the killers currently have the bookies odds which make them most likely - and for the money to be going on them to do that, there must be something going around.

Thanks mate - whats your verdict? i have a feeling it could be them.

you heard anything re fleetwood mac?