2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

3 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

There wasn’t really much press around Stormzy before he was announced either! It didn’t get going until emily dropped a serious hint.

Stormzy did his insta which had people (me included) thinking that was him self confirming as a headliner. And before Emily hinted at him there was that piece I posted which categorically said it was him.

So not quite the same.

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

I think there are a few little things that in isolation mean little but when added together - Cooper, the gap in her Vegas residency, her strange "am I allow to talk about that?" last festival, the cancelled tour from last year...

Well she has many gaps in her Vegas residency because all acts do, and Cooper is obviously not actually gonna do a set on the Park Stage. Finally I personally think the teasing in advance of Glasto 2017 was to do with ASIB, but either way I agree with GP that it was unlikely to mean 2019 (particularly when we’re considering an act who recently replaced McCartney).

Edited by dentalplan

16 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Yeah this year it has been remarkably quiet on all fronts. There wasn’t really much press around Stormzy before he was announced either! It didn’t get going until emily dropped a serious hint. Also there’s been jack shit about the Cure outside these boards.

On second thought, that does make me think it might be the strokes. I can’t imagine that info about them playing would extend furher out than their camp. If someone like Madonna is booked that’s usually info people get excited to share and send to the press.

Seems to me that the festival is getting better at controlling what information comes out and stopping leaks.

2 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Seems to me that the festival is getting better at controlling what information comes out and stopping leaks.

at about this time every year someone says something like that.

All the fests &/or the whole music biz system has had to sharpen up cos of modern media, but beyond that I don't think there's much more. Info gets around, and then it's about whether it gets around to here.

Out there somewhere is a geezer saying "the headliners are ..." (and he/she REALLY knows) but most people are thinking he/she is just guessing.  :P 

Are we still even that certain that The Cure are playing/headlining? They can't sell their own gig tickets, there hasn't been much said about them other than on here and if I remember (probably wrongly) the info Neil had about them came from the same place as the Macca info? 

5 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I wasn’t even arguing that The Strokes were definitely there or whatever, just that there was objectively more pointing towards it being them than anyone else.

I don't really disagree with that take, but at the same time it's such a small sliver that it's not really worth putting much faith in above other names that might be guessed at.

1 minute ago, Doug85 said:

Are we still even that certain that The Cure are playing/headlining? They can't sell their own gig tickets, there hasn't been much said about them other than on here and if I remember (probably wrongly) the info Neil had about them came from the same place as the Macca info? 

The info I had came from more than one place (tho one place was the same as for macca), and one of those sources gave a further confirming update a month or two later.

It should be right, but hey, it might not be. Everything does seem to point to it tho.

13 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Just seen on the Community Fest thread that KOL are rumoured to be playing a show in London on Glasto Friday.

I feel like Kings of Leon always tour in June in hope that they will be asked. I remember in 2013 (I think) they were touring the U.K. and left Glasto weekend bare. 

6 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

The info I had came from more than one place (tho one place was the same as for macca), and one of those sources gave a further confirming update a month or two later.

It should be right, but hey, it might not be. Everything does seem to point to it tho.

Thought i'd remembered that it was from the same place as Macca. More than one source suggests a bit more then however are they sure its headlining? Don't doubt that they could considering the shows they are doing but my doubt is more to do with the fact that they can't sell their tickets. Doesn't scream festival headliner to me but then again Emily did name drop them in her interview with Ezra all be it just by saying they are one of her fav bands. 

1 minute ago, Doug85 said:

Thought i'd remembered that it was from the same place as Macca. More than one source suggests a bit more then however are they sure its headlining? Don't doubt that they could considering the shows they are doing but my doubt is more to do with the fact that they can't sell their tickets. Doesn't scream festival headliner to me but then again Emily did name drop them in her interview with Ezra all be it just by saying they are one of her fav bands. 

They’ve got a lot of history with the festival and have a huge cult fan base, but yeah they’re hardly the biggest headliner. What with the lack of other headliners doing the rounds this year and them releasing a new album and not having headlined the festival for so long I guess them being booked was both an olive branch to mend fences and also a necessity for the festival.

7 minutes ago, Doug85 said:

More than one source suggests a bit more then however are they sure its headlining?

the best source is very well placed and should be right, and says they're headlining.

8 minutes ago, Doug85 said:

Don't doubt that they could considering the shows they are doing but my doubt is more to do with the fact that they can't sell their tickets. Doesn't scream festival headliner to me

I've been saying for years that they've only really sold their UK shows because they play so few of them, so I'm not really surprised that stuff like Glasgow hasn't sold out, particularly when they also have shows all round Europe.

But they sold out Hyde Park last summer, and then Bob did Meltdown, so within context they're hotter now than they've been for a while.

1 minute ago, FloorFiller said:

They’ve got a lot of history with the festival and have a huge cult fan base, but yeah they’re hardly the biggest headliner. What with the lack of other headliners doing the rounds this year and them releasing a new album and not having headlined the festival for so long I guess them being booked was both an olive branch to mend fences and also a necessity for the festival.

Suppose the headliners of other festivals proves that this year is a struggle for most to get a decent set of headliners. 

8 minutes ago, hodgey123 said:

Drake? Or is that too outlandish for Glastonbury to book in 2019 with Stormzy already confirmed?

my take on Stormzy is that his booking is all about giving a British rapper the top slot.

So it would seem odd to do that and then over-shadow him with a huge US act. It just doesn't feel right for what they'd be trying to do.

3 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

my take on Stormzy is that his booking is all about giving a British rapper the top slot.

So it would seem odd to do that and then over-shadow him with a huge US act. It just doesn't feel right for what they'd be trying to do.

Yeah, when you put it like that it does sound stupid!

Odds have been slashed on The Killers headlining according to NME.

“’Somebody Told Me’ that The Killers could be on for another Glastonbury headliner slot this year – so we’ve cut our odds after they’ve been well backed,” said a spokesman for 888sport. “Brandon Flowers would certainly be ‘The Man’ for the job, and after a flurry of bets, we think they’re set to light up the Pyramid Stage once again.”