Gorillaz

gmb1992

On 5/13/2017 at 9:41 AM, stuartbert two hats said:

Well, although I know Gorillaz albums can be growers, I stuck Plastic Beach on this morning and Humanz really isn't as good. I know he was going for this futuristic synthetic thing, but I miss the wider sonic pallette of the middle two albums. It's closer to The Fall than Demon Days or Plastic Beach. Somewhat underproduced.

And as for the songwriting? Nothing is jumping out at me. I do love Andromeda and like We've Got The Power and the Mavis Staples song, but after a few listens it just doesn't seem to compare to the previous work.  

I need to listen a lot more before I decide whether I think it's better or worse than the debut, since it took me a long time to get into that record, but right now it's my least favourite Gorillaz album, sadly.

What do you think?

P.S. Songexploder did an episode on Andromeda, really helped me appreciate it.

All very fair comments. I was underwhelmed by it at first but i've grown into it. I watched that late night show youtube vid and a few tracks came alive when played live i thought. Really enjoying shes my collar, we got the power, saturnz barz, charger, strobelite, busted and blue. However Let me out is the stand out track, Mavis Staples sounds incredible on it i think!

Its a mile off the standard of Plastic Beach which flows brilliantly from start to end but its a decent effort non the same, looking forward to the tour later this year!

3 minutes ago, RossTC said:

All very fair comments. I was underwhelmed by it at first but i've grown into it. I watched that late night show youtube vid and a few tracks came alive when played live i thought. Really enjoying shes my collar, we got the power, saturnz barz, charger, strobelite, busted and blue. However Let me out is the stand out track, Mavis Staples sounds incredible on it i think!

Its a mile off the standard of Plastic Beach which flows brilliantly from start to end but its a decent effort non the same, looking forward to the tour later this year!

The Late Show (Colbert) thing? Yeah, I saw that too. Helped a bit, but not enough.

Surprised I'm the only one loving Andromeda, it's the stand out track for me.

Just now, stuartbert two hats said:

The Late Show (Colbert) thing? Yeah, I saw that too. Helped a bit, but not enough.

Surprised I'm the only one loving Andromeda, it's the stand out track for me.

Yeah that show! 

Fingers crossed for a secret show at Glasto!

Having given it the mandatory 5 listens before making an initial decision on it, I don't think it's too bad. Obviously not a classic in the same way as DD, and it lacks the sparkle of Plastic Beach (I loved the production on PB); it's got a fair few bangers on it though. 

At the very least, it receives kudos for being better than that god Everyday Robots.

I absolutely love Charger!!

12 hours ago, somecoolusername said:

They've toured without the guests/the artwork. See the tiny warm-up tour they did for Plastic Beach.

All I'm saying is... I think it's far from impossible 

Sounds good - so here's hoping!

How does that work then? Screens (like the Snoop DOgg one) and local rappers?

16 hours ago, Homer said:

Kind of suspect the logistics involved would make a secret show not massively worth it.

Couple that with the fact they they famously played one of the worst headliner gigs of all time and I can't see it. 

It would be like Gareth Southgate bringing himself on for a peno shootout. 

Edited by The Nal

Just now, The Nal said:

Couple that with the fact they they played one of the worst headliner gigs of all time and I can't see it. 

It would be like Gareth Southgate bringing himself on for a peno shootout. 

That of course is a matter of opinion! :)

1 hour ago, aidenlangan95 said:

Warm up shows for Demon Dayz announced. 

2nd June: St Albans Alban Arena

4th June: Portsmouth Guildhall

Sign-up here: https://gorillaz.songkick.com/?utm_source=artist&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2835&utm_term=announce&eml=2017May17/3984130/6223355&etsubid=141368341

Tickets on sale Friday 9am.

Wonder how much they'll be?! Im tempted to do Pompy!

27 minutes ago, Tommy101 said:

From memory the last warm up they did was reasonable (at Portsmouth anyway), just tickets were a nightmare to get hold of. This is a bigger venue so there is a bit more chance at least. 

Was that Wedgewood Rooms? I think Damon did a small show there a few years ago. It's tiny, like 500 capacity! No wonder tickets were a nightmare to get!

7 minutes ago, aidenlangan95 said:

Was that Wedgewood Rooms? I think Damon did a small show there a few years ago. It's tiny, like 500 capacity! No wonder tickets were a nightmare to get!

Yep. Out of probably 20+ people that I knew wanted to go only 2 got tickets. Alas not including me.