2019 Festival Move

Blank Expression

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

41 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

did you see I'd had word of Lady *B's take, that it's not there?

That's the current Lord's mum btw, not his wife (unless he likes them old? :P). So she might not be in the loop, tho she was in the loop enough to say "I thought it was going to Longleat?"

yeah, saw that. Maybe its a diversion and she's giving you the run around...

1 minute ago, Badlands said:

Forgive me if I sound daft in asking this, but are we saying that:

There will be a fallow year in 2018 and somewhere else 2019?
Or there is now no fallow year in 18, and somewhere else in 19?
Or somewhere else in 18 and back at Pilton in 19?

I’m confused.

My take is that it's still up in the air because the 'new' site isn't a done deal yeat, but it'll be one of these two options

1. the fallow year is 2018 and Glastonbury will be at worthy farm for the following 5 (at least) years.

2. there's a Glastonbury festival in 2018, the fallow year is moved to 2019 and they'll be an alternative festival on the 'new' site, and Glastonbury festival will be at worthy farm in 2020 and for the following 4 (at least) years.

As the loose plan for when they were thinking of Longleat for a new site was the second I reckon that's still their preferred option, but it'll depend if they've got full agreement about the new site in time to work to that plan. I'd guess they need to know one way or the other in the next few months if they'll be having a festival at worthy farm in 2018, just for the planning aspects.

Lord Bathurst has nearly died this year, contracted sepsis and spent a long time in hospital, he has to undergo a lot of further treatment to replace hip joints that had to be removed due to infection. In the meantime his wife lost a bundle on being scammed on a holiday cottage deal, blaming the distraction of her husbands illness. I know the estate is run as a commercial entity, but it would be fair to say hosting the festival may not have been a priority of late?

26 minutes ago, ClementsMike said:

Lord Bathurst has nearly died this year, contracted sepsis and spent a long time in hospital, he has to undergo a lot of further treatment to replace hip joints that had to be removed due to infection. In the meantime his wife lost a bundle on being scammed on a holiday cottage deal, blaming the distraction of her husbands illness. I know the estate is run as a commercial entity, but it would be fair to say hosting the festival may not have been a priority of late?

Who knows? Perhaps the Bathursts have never been asked, he was merely a big landowner who was mentioned after someone said they'd heard of talks with someone in Gloucestershire. His personal profile also seemed to be a good fit with Michael.

Ragley Hall that someone mentioned today also looks to be a good fit - tho we now have a bigger area to look at, which makes identifying it harder.

12 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Ragley Hall that someone mentioned today also looks to be a good fit - tho we now have a bigger area to look at, which makes identifying it harder.

Ragley Hall hosted a small VW related music festival last year, and will do this year. Tiny by comparison but I don't know what portion of it was used.

http://www.campercalling.com/

2 hours ago, denwyn said:

Lots just seem to be oblivious to what's going on, im sure a lot are there just to get into Glastonbury, and not to work. They should be conspicuous, security in this day and age needs to be properly trained and managed.

Security are all trained and paid and managed, there are a hue quantity and some will make mistakes and some will be no good. Have you got any examples as in my experience security on site has a very good management structure. Stewards are also now all trained before coming on site as well. Maybe you could explain what they were oblivious to? I saw some quite weather related crowding that security managed very well.

19 minutes ago, ClementsMike said:

Ragley Hall hosted a small VW related music festival last year, and will do this year. Tiny by comparison but I don't know what portion of it was used.

http://www.campercalling.com/

yeah, I saw from googling.

From what's on the estate's own website tho it's big enough, and there can't be too many bits of land of big enough size that's under the control of one landowner, so it's got to be in the running.

18 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

yeah, I saw from googling.

From what's on the estate's own website tho it's big enough, and there can't be too many bits of land of big enough size that's under the control of one landowner, so it's got to be in the running.

I think a lot of the land might be arable though, at least that which surrounds the hall. Eastnor is 5000 acres of pretty much all pasture though.

8 minutes ago, Chawk said:

I think a lot of the land might be arable though, at least that which surrounds the hall. Eastnor is 5000 acres of pretty much all pasture though.

I'm not entirely sure how festival-suitable it might be, given the not-hugely-suitable bits of land that the much-smaller big chill used to use.

Edited by eFestivals

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

I'm not entirely sure how festival-suitable it might be, given the not-hugely-suitable bits of land that the big chill used to use.

Yeah, that's right I guess. Normally hosting a big festival previously would be a selling point, in this case it's not really.

2 minutes ago, Chawk said:

Yeah, that's right I guess. Normally hosting a big festival previously would be a selling point, in this case it's not really.

isn't it a deer park or something, and they didn't want the festival to go onto the bits that the deer used the most?

I guess they could get round that, tho it sounds like they don't really want to.

Edited by eFestivals

10 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

isn't it a deer park or something, and they didn't want the festival to go onto the bits that the deer used the most?

I guess they could get round that, tho it sounds like they don't really want to.

Problem Solved. Bring on Glastonbury.

3 hours ago, Ommadawn said:

Just out of interest, apart from the weather, what made the festival so bad for you? 

To many people for size of area,overcrowding at large stages,to many pissed up idiots pushing and shoving,should ban all chairs form large stage areas ie. Pyramid /Other Stage/ West Holts. keep same site  area,with 25 % cut in crowd numbers and put ticket price up to cover.

35 minutes ago, denwyn said:

To many people for size of area,overcrowding at large stages,to many pissed up idiots pushing and shoving,should ban all chairs form large stage areas ie. Pyramid /Other Stage/ West Holts. keep same site  area,with 25 % cut in crowd numbers and put ticket price up to cover.

The big stages will always be full, even if you cut the size down.

Pissed up idiots aren't gonna go anywhere if you cut down 25% of people, they will just have lesser chance of getting a ticket, but they'll still be there.

Ban chairs - I agree but only in the evening and who would police this? You'd have security walking about and telling people to move their chairs? They'll come back in 5-10min when the security guy has left and do the same. Simply impractical. 

I personally didn't notice any of the knobheads but perhaps that's because I'm used to it being at uni. Worst things was how casual the whole cocaine snorting was at places like Arcadia and what not but nothing out of the ordinary that I haven't seen before and/or wouldn't expect of a music festival that attracts young adults.

Let's look at the facts - Fallow years are nothing new - Michael is under rising pressure from various agency's due to water course contamination - A gas pipe runs through and under the land of Glastonbury festival that is old and year on year poses a huge health and safety risk - And lastly Michael only really owns the land in front of the Pyramid Stage and again year on year local farmers are increasing rates : This is evident in some farmers refusing to re let land for Motor homes at East due to not being able to use the land for many months : So costs are rising at a rate that could make the festival unsustainable at the rate it is continuing : This will be my 24th year and it has grown to a point that it's success could be it's own demise 

I haven't read through every single post so apologies if this had been said or confirmed/unconfirmed but isn't it very possible  that 2018 could still be a fallow year and 2019 held elsewhere?

For them to announce 2018 is a fallow year and then go back in that would be quite strange, has that ever happened before? The anouncement of the fallow year wasn't that long ago and this would all have been in the pipeline. Imagine a situation where you have a fallow year 2018 then festival elsewhere 2019.... all the neighbouring land owners who had them over a barrel are suddenly sweating, they could decide to hold it elsewhere again in 2020 if they want to put them all out of business, or instead they beg them to bring it back. The festival technically only has to cope with one year off but it enforces a minimum of two years and all the people squeezing the festival.

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

15 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I haven't read through every single post so apologies if this had been said or confirmed/unconfirmed but isn't it very possible  that 2018 could still be a fallow year and 2019 held elsewhere?

For them to announce 2018 is a fallow year and then go back in that would be quite strange, has that ever happened before? The anouncement of the fallow year wasn't that long ago and this would all have been in the pipeline. Imagine a situation where you have a fallow year 2018 then festival elsewhere 2019.... all the neighbouring land owners who had them over a barrel are suddenly sweating, they could decide to hold it elsewhere again in 2020 if they want to put them all out of business, or instead they beg them to bring it back. The festival technically only has to cope with one year off but it enforces a minimum of two years and all the people squeezing the festival.

I hadn't thought of it like that. That's really playing hardball!