2019 Festival Move

Blank Expression

2 minutes ago, denwyn said:

I'm sure locals would welcome this, must be hell for them. I love Glastonbury, but if it moved for a year or two wouldn't be a bad thing. My own view is it needs a total revamp, far to big, needs ticket sales cut by 25%. Huge crowds around stages this year were dangerous, on site security needs beefing up loads.

It would be a new festival run by Glastonbury, not Glastonbury.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, briddj said:

A very good point.

Though if the festival is held is 2018 we are up to one fallow year in the last 12!

when I first used to go, the fallow year was one in three. 

Nudging them a bi6t bigger is what they've always done, and they only really exist because Michael has toi live amongst the people the festival effects the most, and they chew his ear about it. So he gives them a year off now and then.

But in reality there's now almost no one left in the village from before when the festival started, so there's a lot less hostility than there used to be - but some people are always going to get pissed off about it, and there's now that local expectation of there being years off.

1 hour ago, denwyn said:

I'm sure locals would welcome this, must be hell for them. I love Glastonbury, but if it moved for a year or two wouldn't be a bad thing. My own view is it needs a total revamp, far to big, needs ticket sales cut by 25%. Huge crowds around stages this year were dangerous, on site security needs beefing up loads.

@denwyn

What would you like to see done differently by on site security? Is it just management of such a large volume of people, or to manage 'other issues'. The only reason I ask is that part of what I love about the festival is the generally inconspicuous, and usually extremely amiable, approach of a not-over-the-top security presence.

Ben

Edited by bennyhana22

2 hours ago, bennyhana22 said:

@denwyn

What would you like to see done differently by on site security? Is it just management of such a large volume of people, or to manage 'other issues'. The only reason I ask is that part of what I love about the festival is the generally inconspicuous, and usually extremely amiable, approach of a not-over-the-top security presence.

Ben

Lots just seem to be oblivious to what's going on, im sure a lot are there just to get into Glastonbury, and not to work. They should be conspicuous, security in this day and age needs to be properly trained and managed.

2 hours ago, robalotalob said:

Glastonbury gets too big for Glastonbury (or more specifically, Worthy Farm)

It's outgrown Worthy and needs scaling down. This years was a bloody nightmare, ok weather didn't help, but it's just to big now. Maybe run it alternate years if it's staying at Worthy, but much smaller.  

2 minutes ago, denwyn said:

It's outgrown Worthy and needs scaling down. This years was a bloody nightmare, ok weather didn't help, but it's just to big now. Maybe run it alternate years if it's staying at Worthy, but much smaller.  

Just out of interest, apart from the weather, what made the festival so bad for you? 

Heh, true. Though like Longleat and maybe Bathurst, someone will know someone there who will leak something that eventually pins it to one or more potential sites in that region. Correlate that with what we know are the logistic concerns, access, acreage etc. and I reckon we'd stand a good chance.

19 minutes ago, Pinhead said:

Heh, true. Though like Longleat and maybe Bathurst, someone will know someone there who will leak something that eventually pins it to one or more potential sites in that region. Correlate that with what we know are the logistic concerns, access, acreage etc. and I reckon we'd stand a good chance.

did you see I'd had word of Lady *B's take, that it's not there?

That's the current Lord's mum btw, not his wife (unless he likes them old? :P). So she might not be in the loop, tho she was in the loop enough to say "I thought it was going to Longleat?"

There's a part of me resigned to the fact that 2017 maybe my last ever Glastonbury Festival. It'll be my eighth, and I've been very fortunate to have had some of the best times of my life on the farm, but with the fallow year currently planned for 2018 and the speculation surrounding 2019, I will have been attending festivals for 20 years by the time it (maybe) returns to its spiritual home and I reckon that might be enough for me by then. It's a sobering thought, but makes me even more determined to take it all in next year.

I would imagine that it puts additional stress on those without tickets for 2017, being mindful that they may not get another opportunity to attend Glastonbury until 2020 at the earliest