Death Grips - Manchester Academy

Big Moon/King Gizzard - Manchester Ritz

Parquet Courts - Manchester Academy 2

Meatraffle/Cabbage - Manchester Ruby Lounge

Cabbage/The Fall - Manchester Ritz 

Kate Tempest - Manchester Ritz 

Telegram - Manchester Soup Kitchen

Bob Log III - Manchester Night and Day Cafe

... anyone wanna guess where I live? Not included any of the Glastonbury ones as I just regard that as a beautiful bubble in the middle of my year where all my memories help each other be brilliant so can't isolate them. Can't believe some of the gigs that didn't make the list, Pixies should probably be there thinking about it... ah I've written it now. 

Fully anticipating Girl Band to violently force it's way in tomorrow.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fantastic lists here, really enjoyed reading them all.

My top gigs of the year in absolutely no particular order at all...

Carole King - Hyde Park

Pixies - Brixton

Band of Horses - Shepherds Bush

Radiohead - Roundhouse

Pretenders - O'Mearas

Miracle Legion - Oslo, Hackney

Lisa Fischer - The Barbican

Iggy Pop - Albert Hall

John Grant - Oxford 02

I also want to add that I saw Bjork at the Eventim Apollo, Hammersmith. Im a big fan, really love Bjork but thought it was dull and average with a crowd who had already made their mind up before a sound was heard.

9 hours ago, priest17 said:

Was this at Deaf Institute? Was half tempted but it's a really busy week for me. Might have to get Gorilla tickets now, love their debut.

Yes. Will probably get tickets for Gorilla tomorrow, much prefer the Deaf Institute as a venue though.

As for the Lemon Twigs, much more rockier live than I was expecting. The two brothers interchange from drums and guitar/vocals. Both the brothers are insanely talented but it's Michael who is the real star of the show. He's like Keith Moon and Pete Townshend rolled into one.  

1. LCD Soundsystem at Glastonbury/Lovebox

2. The Chemical Brothers at Hammersmith Apollo (Night 1)

3. Radiohead at Roundhouse (Night 3)

4. Foals at Wembley Arena

5. The Cure at Wembley Arena (Night 1)

6. Massive Attack at Brixton Academy (Night 1)

7. Death Grips at Village Underground (Night 1)

8. Pixies at Brixton Academy (July)

9. Adele at Glastonbury

10. Tame Impala at Alexandra Palace (Night 2)

Honourable mentions go out to Black Peaches, Skepta (both Koko and Alexandra Palace), Flatbush Zombies, Mura Masa and Chance the Rapper.

Edited by aidenlangan95

53 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Low's Christmas gig was very special

:santa:

I just opened up this thread to post that very comment, as I went to see Low last week in Bristol at St Georges, (which is a beautiful concert hall, by the way).

They opened up with festive songs, done in their own inimitable style, and then treated us to a selection of other tracks.  You could hear a pin drop in there, and the acoustics were superb with Mimi's voice sounded as good as ever.

Looks like the tour is over now, but if you do get a chance to catch them, it is definitely recommended.

6 hours ago, The Placid Casual said:

Super Furry Animals at the Roundhouse on Friday wins easily.

I was debating whether to pick up a last minute ticket, but I saw them three times last year and couldn't justify the price. Wasn't too bothered about Fuzzy Logic, but I'm gutted I missed Radiator. What form did the gig take?

6 hours ago, The Placid Casual said:

Super Furry Animals at the Roundhouse on Friday wins easily.

Aye. Great gig, they really were on top form. Was my first ever 'full album show' so weren't sure how I'd feel about it but it worked brilliantly. Helped being at the Roundhouse though I suppose as that's one of my favourite venues 

2 hours ago, CHRLY said:

I was debating whether to pick up a last minute ticket, but I saw them three times last year and couldn't justify the price. Wasn't too bothered about Fuzzy Logic, but I'm gutted I missed Radiator. What form did the gig take?

Well worth it. Radiator in full really is a triumph, the run from The Placid Casual through to Torra Fy Ngwallt Yn Hir was simply incredible. The crowd was really up for it too.

2 hours ago, kingbadger said:

Aye. Great gig, they really were on top form. Was my first ever 'full album show' so weren't sure how I'd feel about it but it worked brilliantly. Helped being at the Roundhouse though I suppose as that's one of my favourite venues 

Yeah I love the Roundhouse. Also saw The Holy Bible in full there but this might just have topped that.

The Chemical Brothers have blitzed their way into my list as expected. Fantastic show at the weekend. Probably have to make do with 2nd place though. Not much would beat Crazy P for me - maybe if I had been at Glasto this year for LCD (that was my biggest wish I was there moment)

Edited by mjsell

1 Coldplay at Glastonbury

2 Gong at Kozfest

3 Asian Dub Foundation at Boomtown

4 Biffy Clyro at Cardiff Motorpoint Arena

5 Public Image Ltd at  Bearded Theory

6 Hawkwind at Cardiff Tramshed

7 Ozric Tentacles at Glastonbury

8 Squeeze at Bearded Theory

9 Banco De Gaia at Boomtown

10 Jean Michel Jarre at Cardiff Motorpoint Arena

I mean looking back on it I didn't really go to many gigs at all this year. Mainly festivals and clubs for me, but I guess that's just a reflection of what I'm more into these days. Off the top of my head my top 5 were:

LCD Soundsystem @ Glastonbury

Sigur Ros @ Glastonbury

DJ Koze @ Lost Village

Floating Points @ Warehouse Project

Nina Kraviz @ Warehouse Project

I'm not a muse fan and I was going to watch underworld if I got bored but I really enjoyed them. Trouble is at Glastonbury you can't be two places at once unfortunately but I always stick by a rule that if I'm enjoying myself watching any band on any stage I'll stick by it

2 minutes ago, mr jolly said:

I'm not a muse fan and I was going to watch underworld if I got bored but I really enjoyed them. Trouble is at Glastonbury you can't be two places at once unfortunately but I always stick by a rule that if I'm enjoying myself watching any band on any stage I'll stick by it

yeah i was only joking :P and i stick by the same rule even though it's come back to bite me on the arse more than a few times - would rather catch all of one set and hope it turns out to be a good'un than flitter between several sets

10 hours ago, Mash011 said:

Yeah that Muse set was really something specially awful. Completely pointless. Realised I should've gone Sigur Ros as soon as they started but I'd made the mistake of standing up the front where it was too packed to easily get out. Least I made up for it by seeing them at Citadel.

It was funny because when I was watching Muse with the others with me they had nothing to compare it to, they had never seem them at their best. They were in their top 3, the top as I believe for the weekend whereas they didn't get in mine. One of my favorites though was King Blues at Left Field. Newton Faulkner, Paul Heaton.

7 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

yeah i was only joking :P and i stick by the same rule even though it's come back to bite me on the arse more than a few times - would rather catch all of one set and hope it turns out to be a good'un than flitter between several sets

You went and watched something different some way Muse and made the correct decision then yes?!.

4 hours ago, thewayiam said:

It was funny because when I was watching Muse with the others with me they had nothing to compare it to, they had never seem them at their best. They were in their top 3, the top as I believe for the weekend whereas they didn't get in mine.

Yeah that's the thing. My friend, who I dragged into the pit with me, isn't really a Muse fan but came away saying they're one of the best live acts he's ever seen. Whereas that was my 10th time seeing them, and probably the most disappointing. A watered down version of their arena tour.

Comparitively, Coldplay played a more stripped back version of their stadium tour, but still managed to improve it by having the unique aspects like the special guests, Viola Beach tribute etc.

My last gig of the year was Frank Turner's 2000th in Notts, so now I can finally list my 2016 favourites -

For absolute performance perfection -

PJ Harvey - Warehouse, Wolverhampton

Placebo - NIA, Birmingham

Just sheer energy

Ezra Furman - Glee Club, Birmingham

a band a want to see hit bigger times

Lonely the Brave - O2 Birmingham

for a combination of nostalgia and an awesome new album

The Wedding Present, Slade Rooms, Wolverhampton

and lastly, a real tough one, but Glastonbury performance of the year

Madness - no excuses, it was just the performance that made everyone in our 30square ft smile most of all

Best wishes to all you fabulous folk for a great 2017 of music