Annual Leave

jparx

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just booked my holidays now but never been an issue, as doesn't matter when I'm off there is always drama, stuff to be done, etc. when I'm away :rolleyes:

They only time I've been refused leave is in August when I tried to take the week between V & Leeds off as I was going to both, but as too many people already had the dates off I had to come in in-between which wasn't the most productive few days but what can you do??

I don't go to these anymore so the June dates are fine as before everyone is off abroad or looking after kids

I will be squeezing Bluedot in too but just do a long weekend for that :) 

Edited by shoptildrop

17 minutes ago, Quark said:

On a more general note, I refuse to refer to it annual leave unless I'm objectively told to do so.  It's holiday.  I'm taking some holiday.

"annual leave" sounds so bloody sterile, like holiday just sounds far too rampantly fun to be used in a work context.

And it's a rant at office terminology, not you @jparx ;)

Haha I completely agree. I hate office jargon. The term 'action', as in, 'I will action that email later', makes my blood boil!

1 minute ago, jparx said:

Haha I completely agree. I hate office jargon. The term 'action', as in, 'I will action that email later', makes my blood boil!

Got a book for Christmas called "Who Touched Base In My Thought Shower", a dictionary of office jargon.  It's all just horrendous.

1 minute ago, Quark said:

Got a book for Christmas called "Who Touched Base In My Thought Shower", a dictionary of office jargon.  It's all just horrendous.

Haha I've not heard 'thought shower' before. I nearly just threw up my bagel.

11 minutes ago, jparx said:

Haha I've not heard 'thought shower' before. I nearly just threw up my bagel.

A lot of them are ones you never hear outside of Dilbert, but my wife's employer has "mind gyms" and my boss has used "brown bag meeting", "open the kimono" and (shudder) "low hanging fruit".

A pox on them all.  Only useful for buzzword bingo.

Booked mine the day after t-day, with the full week after off. (Planning to go away the following weekend to ease the pain). Wasn't a problem thankfully. Although I may change jobs between now and then, in which case I will be saying upfront I've got a 2 week holiday booked and paid for!

31 minutes ago, Quark said:

On a more general note, I refuse to refer to it annual leave unless I'm objectively told to do so.  It's holiday.  I'm taking some holiday.

"annual leave" sounds so bloody sterile, like holiday just sounds far too rampantly fun to be used in a work context.

And it's a rant at office terminology, not you @jparx ;)

Authorised absence sounds even more sterile.

4 hours ago, jparx said:

Had an unbelievably close shave with regards to booking off Glastonbury week. We've been waiting for a new online annual leave system to come in at work and we were told to save our requests until this was up and running. It kept getting delayed and delayed, but finally came in on Friday. I put my request in for leave over Glastonbury which was promptly accepted.

Just came in to work this morning and there's a huge email about embargoed weeks which we cannot, under any circumstances,  use our annual leave (barring a family death or somerhing). Upper management finalised the dates over the weekend. Glastonbury week is there, as one of our busiest weeks and a complete no go for annual leave! Last year it was no problem, but they are cracking down big time this year. Luckily though since mine was accepted before the email, I'm free to go!!

Essentially if I had attempted to book my leave today rather than friday there's no chance I'd be on the Farm next year. Close shave!

Anyone else have any stories like this? Or any past stories where leave has been denied?

You don't happen to work for UoN do you?

I had the same panic these past couple of weeks when they bought a new holiday booking system in, but luckily I was ok!

Being reasonably local my wife's work pretty much shuts down Glastonbury week, skeleton crew only as everyone else is sat in a field drinking cider.

i got my leave for Glastonbury, IOW and Latitude booked as soon as the dates were announced for each one. Easier to cancel than to be disappointed.

Thankfully I'm in a very privaleged position of being in charge of the staff rota's with the only no go, booking time off while the TT races are on. 

Needless to say my holidays are always accepted ;)

The Mrs however got told she wasn't allowed the dates off (after we'd secured tickets).... She starts her new job tomorrow.

Edited by Richi1988

I'm putting mine off until I've decided how long I'm having off for Christmas. Feels weird asking for leave in the wrong order. I know I'll get it though.

I don't have to compete with anyone for leave as we each work on different projects with confidential data so no-one is able to cover and stuff just doesn't get done. Any important times I can't take off are fairly flexible and are negotiated a few months in advance. I'm also taking the full two weeks off because I get a fair whack of leave. It's pretty cushy.

I work in an office not far from Pilton as a primary link nurse with lots of other nurses.  And a kot of the staff I work with like going to the festival.. We have staff vacancies at the moment and I have been stressing so much about being allowed the time off next year.  Luckily there have been interviews and the two posts have been filled so we are all relieved but lets hope they don't want to go as well or there is going to be issues....

I had to show one of them round today and I was casually trying to find out about next June. Apparently her holiday is booked for next May so that's one down..one to go..

Part of a regional team now, so will have to keep an eye on it as we can only have 20% off at one time including allowances for non working days and long term sick.  (I could in theory book it now, but I feel cheeky with leave recently booked for an end of January Trip).

Tad annoying, but I should be able to get it in just before all the summer requests go in (and i know one other guy on my site's team is going be trying in the resale, so might need to beat him to the punch)

2015 was still my favourite. I'd already booked it all off, but came back from 2 weeks in Jamaica with Mrs Q to the fairly expected news that I was officially on consultation for redundancy, had less than a week in the office and then went to Glastonbury!

Hell of a way to find out and celebrate / let off steam!

Edited by Quark

With the imminent arrival of baby #2, I was fully intending on not going next year.  However it was agreed with the Mrs that I was allowed to go IF Radiohead headlined, as I've never seen them at the farm, and well, y'know.  Went through the pain of T-Day with friends... and then started hoping and praying.  I didn't expect it to be announced this early!  And my wondrous other half has accepted it with the usual grace.

Getting it booked off from work after that was a doddle in comparison.  Having an ex-services boss who "doesn't really give a shit about all of that, so long as you get your job done" helps.

Have put it in my outlook diary and my manager knows I go every year- he is a festival goer too! Can't officially book it on the system til our new leave year starts in April tho. This year I only had weds to Monday off as i had a long holiday over Easter and half of April so am going for the whole week - Monday to following Tuesday! 

I'm the only person in my office of around 90 people who goes to Glastonbury. They all know I go. The head honchos are veterans from 80's and 90's so understand but have jobs and families now so stopped going a long time ago. They all also know I would quit rather than not go. So getting my leave is generally not a problem but I still dont leave it to chance and book it as early as possible.