Flaming lips

russycarps

2 hours ago, kingbadger said:

Yup that was definitely first up at Victorious. Will be interesting to see if the December setlists continue or if they're going to change it up completely with a new show, lighting rig etc.

Just thinking about them closing the festival in the JPT makes me think I'll be gutted if it doesn't come to fruition! It just seems like a perfect fit.

Agreed.

I best get a ticket if thats the case!

So that new album, eh? There's moments on it that don't quite work - Wayne's vocals in particular are a weak spot, so it's quite telling that a lot of the best bits are either instrumental or have Wayne heavily processed - but the overall effect of the album is quite striking. It takes you on a real journey.

my local indie just fucked my preorder up - they didn't order enough standard editions and ran out of stock so they gave me the ltd deluxe instead!

1 orange LP 1 purple LP and a bonus 7'' with Space Oddity on it. More than double the value!

Right touch that was

2 hours ago, mungo57 said:

@russycarps you're correct sir. Parts of this album are bloody brilliant. 2nd half is better than the first, but overall good solid 8/10 first listen. I'm sure it will become a 9/9.5 with repeated plays. Brixton is the perfect venue to hear this record live.

Not enough people rate things out 9.5, good work.

2 minutes ago, priest17 said:

Not enough people rate things out 9.5, good work.

Nothing that isn't fucking PERFECT gets a ten from me mate.

So far my fave band (Tool) have done 4 albums and I've only rated one as a ten. Others all 9.5/9. Steven Wilson has only 1 ten throughout all his discography - seems I'm hard to please :P 

3 hours ago, mungo57 said:

@russycarps you're correct sir. Parts of this album are bloody brilliant. 2nd half is better than the first, but overall good solid 8/10 first listen. I'm sure it will become a 9/9.5 with repeated plays. Brixton is the perfect venue to hear this record live.

I'm sat at work absolutely desperate to play it again. I have a feeling this will be on repeat right up until the 21st. Which I've just seen is the first gig of the tour for this album so it's bound to be a brand new set list! Exciting times.

2 minutes ago, russycarps said:

I'm sat at work absolutely desperate to play it again. I have a feeling this will be on repeat right up until the 21st. Which I've just seen is the first gig of the tour for this album so it's bound to be a brand new set list! Exciting times.

I'm on my third run through. It is really growing on me. Can't wait now to get in later and spin the vinyl and see what it sounds like through my hifi!

Agreed about Brixton, perfect venue to begin with and perfect circumstances being the first of the tour so far. This is easily their best album since Yoshimi.

2 minutes ago, mungo57 said:

I'm on my third run through. It is really growing on me. Can't wait now to get in later and spin the vinyl and see what it sounds like through my hifi!

Agreed about Brixton, perfect venue to begin with and perfect circumstances being the first of the tour so far. This is easily their best album since Yoshimi.

Yep, and start the night off with a quick trip to the bowie shrine. Perfect!

edit, in fact I think I might loiter round there for a while. It is 100% certain the lips will go and check it out.

Edited by russycarps

2 hours ago, russycarps said:

Yep, and start the night off with a quick trip to the bowie shrine. Perfect!

edit, in fact I think I might loiter round there for a while. It is 100% certain the lips will go and check it out.

Where is the Bowie shrine? Might loiter there myself and have a look before/after pre gig pint

Edit: ignore I realised there was this invention called Google I could ask :P

Edited by mungo57

10 hours ago, mungo57 said:

Nothing that isn't fucking PERFECT gets a ten from me mate.

So far my fave band (Tool) have done 4 albums and I've only rated one as a ten. Others all 9.5/9. Steven Wilson has only 1 ten throughout all his discography - seems I'm hard to please :P 

I think he was making a joke that your "9/9.5" made it look like you were rating it 9 out of 9.5 :P