Conduct of security

Joshuwarr

1 hour ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

Never had a problem with security at Glastonbury except trouble that I have stirred up myself for a bit of devilment on many occasions, though not for quite some time.

One of our favourites used to be back in the mid to late 90's when I used to be an all terrain unicyclist. One of our costumes was Gerald The Camel, a pantomime camel that rode two unis at once. . 

Late at night when Nico (uni partner) and I were Gillespied , we'd don the camel and go walkabout, on foot, not unis. We'd look for out of order security or bored coppers and start circling them from a distance in a sharkey/cameley kind of way. We'd get closer and closer then right up to the head honcho, at which point the rear end of the camel would start pelvic thrusting. We'd wait the see which security chap/copper looked to be the most disturbed by this then approach him front on. The camel's head would drop, zero in on the guy's crotch and then pretend to give him a blow job. Always got away with it as the crowd and the poor victim's colleagues would be almost wetting them selves with laughter. 

No more up reps today unfortunately dusty, I've always enjoyed your threads like it started with a stick... knowing that you purposely sought out dodgy security and harassed them just increases your kudos even more hahaha:-)  

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

Found a pic....

gerald.jpg

First things first, I love everything about this Dusty.

So I've not been searched yet, but I have wondered how thoroughly they turn your stuff over when they do. Are we talking a full unpack of everything you're carrying? Just curious obviously :)

And finally, another good word for security from me. All the guys and girls I came across were in suitably good humour.

My 14 y o got searched twice out of 4 entries Weds morning. He's 5'11 and I guess looks a bit older but it seemed a bit strange given he is only a kid. Second time I got him to show his bus pass he happened to have in his pocket and the security got all apologetic. 

I got pulled as well and they said they were looking for bottles in the main

53 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

I was chatting to a steward one early morning in 2014 and he told me that a lot of the blue security are actually the army who they get in. If you look at the size of some of them, I can believe it. 

Whether thats true, I don't know

True story. I've got a good friend who is a staff sergeant that can get in working on security if he ever fails to get a ticket

Apparently, security were new to the festival this year - or at least new to the Naughty Corner.

I was not impressed with their handling of the masses on Saturday night. Abadly managed and almost dangerous and kettling of the crowds in SL and Block 9, whilst the Unfairground was mostly empty.

33 minutes ago, Fishman said:

I was not impressed with their handling of the masses on Saturday night. Abadly managed and almost dangerous and kettling of the crowds in SL and Block 9, whilst the Unfairground was mostly empty.

No change there then, sounds like business as usual.

Saturday morning first thing, going in from camper van east with my 8 year old. Head of security looked at her and sternly told her there weren't enough people jumping in puddles. She didn't need any encouragement, and proceeded to jump her way in to the festival, to cheers from security and the stewards!!

I remember one year when we were walking through the pyramid field in the early eve before the festival had started when my group was surrounded by 3 security landrovers , everyone jumped out and asked to search my friend , who apparently his top hat and badge on it matched someone they were after , we were entirely innocent of anything and I had let him wear my hat 5 mins or so before :) an eventfull start to the festival that year but it was all done in a decent manner which we laugh about now

Two Encounters with security here, as a newbie i found them to be very relaxed.

Firstly Before early weds morning, at the top of gate d. a lady who was searching everyones wallets before putting them into the pens to queue before the gates open. She must of took a disliking to me as i was the one who got the most thourgough search with a pat down and then she sniffed my backy. But all was well, just laughed at the fact i got chosen whilst everyone else had the wallets searched. 

Second  “encounter  was on a walk round the acardia area on saturday night, where my mate was convinced we was being followed, who decided the best thing to do would be to drop his bag of m. Paranoia must of kicked in but it gave us something to take the mick out of in the next day when he had nothing left :D 

11 minutes ago, Boordy said:

where my mate was convinced we was being followed,

I was once watching Primal Scream on the Other Stage under the influence of mushrooms when one of my mates turned to me and said something along the lines of ' I don't want to scare you but the Grim Reaper is standing behind us'. He meant it in all seriousness because he was also on mushrooms. Turned out it was just some bloke who had decided to dress up in a robe. Didn't even have scythe.

2 hours ago, kalifire said:

Christ, that's early. What was the queue like at that time?

Nah, that surely means early Wednesday morning right? Early is when the car parks open (at about eightish on the Tuesday evening last year I think). They tend to park you miles from the gates at that time these days though.

On Sunday afternoon taking kit back to car , stopped by security on road outside gate A and told I couldn't take heavily laden trolley on road/ path to disabled parking but would have to go round longer , muddier route, security took one look at my horrified face and kindly offered to push sack truck through longer , muddier route for me and proceeded to do so. Couldn't believe it they were so kind.