Knobs

elias

I camped over in Bushy Field and I was slightly peeved off that people were staying up chatting away. They seemed genuinely decent people but could it not wait until the morning so the rest of us can get some sleep.

This would be about 3 to 4 in the morning and not ideal last night when had to be up in reasonable time for the 9.30 coach departure.

Other than that, no real complaints regarding people behaviour except lots of litter louts on campsites. Shame on you

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

37 minutes ago, sabre-toothed tart said:

On the whole the crowd was great.  Everyone seemed in good spirits despite the trying conditions, we chatted to loads of really nice people, especially at the smaller stages and market areas.  I saw less canisters and a lot less peeing in the hedges this year too.  However I found the pushing and shoving at the Pyramid really really bad this year.  Big strings of drunk fucking glitter covered obnoxious girls holding hands and barging through regardless of anyone else.  It doesn't take much to say excuse me :growl:

And a special mention to the complete knob who ploughed through the non existent gap between me and the lovely older guy stood next to me for ELO.  Not only did he cover his leg with mud he gashed it and drew blood with his boot.  Didn't even stop or say anything.  

Only NOS overload I saw was up at the Park by the Glastonbury sign Thursday night. Everywhere you looked there were canisters, even one guy going round dealing/filling them openly. Only saw two security guards who couldn't have cared less.

Only saw one person not using the toilet, a guy in that space between West Holts and Avalon (just beyond Goan Curries) on Wednesday night. Just laughed when we told him he was killing the festival. Ironically I think that space is crying out for a set of toilets as it is large and underused.

Really chilled crowd, one of the friendliest I remember in 9 years of going. But I'm not sure that was because the crowd genuinely was better than normal, or because I spent virtually no time at the big stages. Saw two acts on Pyramid (Foals and Beck) and none on The Other Stage at all.

I probably spent most of the weekend in Avalon, Acoustic, Theatre & Circus and everyone I met was lovely!

2 hours ago, Alcatraz said:

You know what, I didn't hear that fucking whoosh all week! 

Felt like an early/mid 20s crowd more than a late teens crowd of a few previous years. Guess exams may have ruled many out?

There were a couple of groups of kids camped next to us in Michaels Mead & there was plenty of it going on there

also heard that familiar sound from a group of guys next to us when in sonic yesterday 

3 minutes ago, mario man said:

There were a couple of groups of kids camped next to us in Michaels Mead & there was plenty of it going on there

also heard that familiar sound from a group of guys next to us when in sonic yesterday 

It was Sonic where I saw loads of canisters.  I know I'm a bit naive but what does it actually do to you apart from make you giggly?  Was just wondering why it's taken in a dance tent specifically??

53 minutes ago, Digital Monkey (Womad) said:

I camped over in Bushy Field and I was slightly peeved off that people were staying up chatting away. They seemed genuinely decent people but could it not wait until the morning so the rest of us can get some sleep.

This would be about 3 to 4 in the morning and not ideal last night when had to be up in reasonable time for the 9.30 coach departure.

Other than that, no real complaints regarding people behaviour except lots of litter louts on campsites. Shame on you

We were camped in Bushy in the first on the right in that bit with a set of toilets (if you're walking from Silver Hayes). We had a small fire each night but were quiet as we were all so beat haha. However, our neighbours were a lovely bunch of Irish lads playing Ronan Keating and Bewitched etc. For the most part it was quiet and we found it quite amusing. Last night though.. they came back and were chanting and singing along to Irish songs. It went on for ages and it was very loud (think 5 or 6 lads shouting songs!). Eventually I had to go to bed and it kept me awake for a while which wasn't cool considering I had to be up at 5.30 for my coach! I apologise if it was them that kept you up - in hindsight a polite word might've changed things as they were very amicable but I just didn't have the energy.

I had some great encounters with a lot of very lovely people, especially down in front of the Pyramid. Some just chatting about favourite performances we'd seen or were looking forward to, others sharing booze, adorning us with glowsticks and even one very friendly guy offering me a spot to lean back at the barrier when he noticed I was having back troubles. The cheeriness seemed to be missing a bit on the Sunday before Coldplay, when we found ourselves among what I can only assume was the notorious local camping chair brigade. Still, all in all, a great time and a great crowd.

When I woke up this morning though, our neighbours pointed out that someone had left an actual human poo right next to our tent. So yeah, I'd say there was at least one knobhead at Glastonbury this year.

Far less bellends this year. Seemed to be a really nice mix of ages, accents, colours, shapes and sizes. Loads of families (hats off to anyone looking after kids in that mud and keeping everyone smiling!) Maybe the increasing difficulty of getting tickets makes people more appreciative of being there?? Anyway, bravo everyone. 

3 minutes ago, mrlibertinedream said:

There is always gonna be a fair few of them around, don't let them ruin your festival, If I'm around people like that I normally take a few steps to my right or left and to honest meet some sound people and have a wicked time 

Best advice for when your watching acts.

Better just to shift than get wound up. You can try challenging them but in my experience they either get aggressive or, more often than not, get all apologetic and want to be your bessie mate, and end up causing even more annoyance :wacko:

I did seem to encounter a lot of knobs barging through through the front, getting their phones out to call their mates, shout over the band to tell them where they were, said mates then barge through the crowd, exchange banter, eventually notice someone is playing, tell each other how much they love the act while paying no attention to it whatsoever, then decide they need to be somewhere else so barge back through the crowd to get out.

Someone here said don't treat it as a music festival ... just a mad party with some great music which I found to be very good advice. When it mattered to me I just moved away, when not so important I just tuned it out as best I could. 

But I also met lots of really great folk and had some lovely conversations ... between bands of course :)

Thought the crowd was superb, met lots of great folk. Only time I was slightly annoyed was when leaving Beck (was down front) to catch end of PJ Harvey, all the Coldplay fans moved forward which is fine but one womanwas blaming me and my mate for pushing, when it was the other way round and we just wanted out of there.

I agree, I met some great people, including someone off here by coincidence. I forget which user it was now as I was rather pissed on Friday night, but we got talking to a group of people outside of a bar and when they found out my name, where I was from, and that I had seen Underworld and was seeing New Order they asked out of nowhere "are you Alan C from efestivals". I was amazed! Not only that but they bought me a pint. You were Scottish, make yourself known, and thanks!

Did any of you lot bump into the two South Korean lads? They were camped next to us, and were the nicest people you could ever meet. They cleaned their tents and tidied it up every single day so it was spotless. 

Also got speaking to an Everton fan in the Beat Hotel on Saturday afternoon and he gave me one of his cold cans of beer and spoke to me and the Mrs for ages about music and football. If you are on here, thanks again!

Yeah was a great atmosphere, only thing that really bothered me was all the talkers at James Blake - obviously a lot of his music is on the quieter side, and even at the front of the crowd people insisted on having loud chats through every single song. Really affects the performance when you can hear someone's unrelated conversation above the music. Spend half the gig moving through the crowd trying to find a spot where I could just appreciate the show without that. Go somewhere else if you just want a chat, honestly.

I thought it was better this year as well.

We had a slight problem after Adele heading back to Wicket with big groups pushing past trying to get to Silver Hayes/Arcadia quickly that got a bit hairy in the mud but most people could see that people with kids were heading that way and went out of their way to help out. 

That campsite is so quiet at night as well. Lovely. 

I didn't go this year but previously my friendliest year was 2011, when it was muddy as fuck again. I wonder if the mud actually makes the atmosphere better? People going into a blitz sort of spirit - "we won't let this mud ruin our fun!" "we're all in this together" etc, whereas when it's hot people get complacent and sit around in their little groups waiting to be entertained. Last year I found rather unfriendly which is a reason I didn't get a ticket this year - so many aggressive groups of teenagers running around thinking they own the place

Agree. Lovely atmosphere this year and a real sense of 'we're in it together'. It was difficult conditions so I think the majority just chilled out and took it in their stride.

one thing that did bother me was people chatting away when a band was on - a huge group down near the front for catfish and stood in a circle talking. Why be there if you don't want to see the set (which was awesome!)? 

Agree that it was a fairly good crowd this year

Only real problem I had was trying to get out the front after Tame Impala. Full of Adele fans barging and pushing their way through. If it was going to be anywhere I would't have expected it to be before Adele...

Echoing everyone else on here - generally a really sound crowd this year. My husband's wheelchair didn't do to well in the sticky mud at times and I have no idea how many people stopped to offer us help, whether it was to help to clear the mud off his wheels, donate spare gloves they happened to have which really helped protect my hands, offer to push him out of some particularly difficult bits, or even round up a group to carry him through, which happened a few times! If you were one of them, you have my eternal gratitude and I would love to buy you beer next year!

Sometimes I really had to shout at people to ask them to move, just because it was so loud. I always tried to do this with a smile on my face and say thank you, but could have forgot my manners at the more stressful times. no one seemed offended so hopefully I wasn't one of the said knobs!

We also generally got talking to some wonderful people throughout the weekend and had a great dance with a few people to Carl Cox in the Glade. It could have been because we didn't spend much time at the Pyramid so avoided the chair brigades and the "how dare you accidentally tread on the corner of my picnic blanket while trying to walk through a packed crowd" glares (my biggest bugbear!), or the fact that tickets were so hard to come by this year. Either way, the lack of knobheads was very welcome!

Don't go to a festival if your going to complain about noise around camp....I was in Bushy Ground and everything was fine around us. Sure people were talking all night but its what you expect.

No complaints, definitely wouldn't think someone was a knob for talking at 4am, no matter how loud

Much better crowd this year than many, almost no issues of concern for me apart from some generic northern lad determined to fight me sunday night as I was walking out of JP field by the loos, shoving me and venomously screaming abuse in my face, I just smiled and told him to enjoy his festival, carried on walking and after a few paces he gave up.

As ever, if there were any dickheads, they were around the Pyramid stage, but there were so few (I think because people were less pissed because of the ground conditions) that it was never a concern.

The thing that stood out was that the entry into the back of the Pyramid field into Coldplay had all the makings of the kind of problems that came with Paul Simon a few years back, except everyone without exception was understanding, considerate of others and people were able to filter through without compressing the crowd.  I'd really like to thank everyone up the back of that gig for not being inconsiderate dicks and understanding that if people are let through they will move down and ease the crowd behind them.

Thanks to everyone who came along with the right attitude, you were in the clear majority.

had a brill festival as usual  met some wonderfull people but on sunday night agroup of Dick heads camped by us thought it was good fun to trash tents before leaving for there bus 

One of the group thought it may be a laugh to set light to said trashed tent along with his gas stove air bed ext

Thats when my group had to stop there fun to shouts of boring old farts

camped on Oxylers