Knobs

elias

13 hours ago, Digital Monkey (Womad) said:

I camped over in Bushy Field and I was slightly peeved off that people were staying up chatting away. They seemed genuinely decent people but could it not wait until the morning so the rest of us can get some sleep.

This would be about 3 to 4 in the morning and not ideal last night when had to be up in reasonable time for the 9.30 coach departure.

Other than that, no real complaints regarding people behaviour except lots of litter louts on campsites. Shame on you

How dare people stay up til 4 (FOUR) IN the morning talking nicely amongst themselves! At Glastonbury of all places! Throw the book at them!

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not total knobs, but I found myself camped next to, or rather, in the middle of, a group who sounded like extras from Made In Chelsea.

I arrived after dark, and plonked my tent down in the first big enough gap I could find. Later on I was woken up by a series of braying voices, trying to work out if this new tent belonged to Sookie, Lulu, Roland, or any one of a series of Chelsea-ish names. Apparently, my tent was in the space where they were going to have their fire. I didn't actually see any of these people all weekend, but heard them during the night a few times, still grumbling about how (like) unfair it was that their fire space had a tent in it. If I had seen them I would have pointed out that the way to save a fire space is to put a fire in it, or a least a circle of chairs, instead of leaving a blank patch of grass. That's life in the real world.

24 minutes ago, FestiZebra said:

If people push past me I make an effort to ignore them and don't move. If people say "excuse me" I will happily let them through. I have always made a huge effort to say "sorry, could I just get through to that spot please? thankyou" which goes a long way.

This just reminded me of the one knob-ish encounter I did have. I was just inside the Deluxe Diner on Thursday night - there was a pretty big crowd outside. I made my way through to use the loo, said "excuse me, please" to a guy blocking my way. I thought he didn't hear me so repeated myself, gently pressing his back with my hand so he knew I was there. He started to move backwards a bit, before turning around.

I asked if I could just get past and he said: "I heard you, I just thought a 'please' would've been nice." I politely told him that I did say please (I definitely did) and he just glared at me. His mates backed me up, telling him they heard me say it and dragged him forward so I could pass. I said thanks to the others and made my way through the crowd. Utter dick. I make sure I'm as polite as possible in general life, not just Glasto, so it really pissed me off. By the time I returned they'd gone, maybe that guy has a bit of previous for being a knob after a few drinks.

I don't even think the word please is necessary all the time; with the amount of time I spent navigating through crowds I'd barely say anything else!

Sunday evening moving between the pyramid field and the beat hotel area I witnessed scenes like I've never seen before. People were stood guarding their tents from people making their way to coldplay, the security stood and watched as tents were trampled on and families were pushed out of the way. It was absolutely disgusting. One of the security guys was stood with a tannoy just doing nothing as tents were trashed - when asked why they didn't help he shrugged his shoulders and said that there was nothing they could do. You will always get bottlenecks around the site but I feel the extra 15,000 (odd) people let in for sunday is just too much for the site to cope with. 

Loads and loads of friendly people - totally makes the festival.

On the knobs front:

- clowns who think that driving a land rover through the middle of the site is a good idea (during main stage changes too). Chaos.
- some total knob suddenly decide goose-stepping was the way to get through the mud - splashed a load of people then kicked someone's food out of their hands - no apology, big bloke just goose stepped on.
- not their fault and a bit of me likes it, but getting a hug from a totally drunk dude who has had a mud bath - happened a couple of times - I'm a twit magnet

I had a chat with a first timer, leaving on Sunday night - she said "I so wish the rest of the country was like this all year round".

2 minutes ago, Glastobuddy said:

Echo most of the previous comments, good vibes and good people.

I also (personally) saw loads less people peeing in the fields than the previous 2 years, the message is getting across.

You've just reminded of another knob (I must've blocked them out of my mind!). Next to the bridge from the kidz field to Avalon (I think?) There's an access route to the side, which a couple of stewards directed us to. I went to help my husband around there in his wheelchair and we were faced with a girl squatting and peeing on the ground, with a guy trying to shield her and a woman trying to stop people going through. I quite loudly told them to move as we needed to get through and the stewards came back to see what was going on.

They tried to tell us she "wasn't feeling well" but clearly just didn't want to use the long drops which were less than 50 yards away, with no queue. The stewards came back over and started really embarrassing her, before about 20 people started looking over the bridge to do the same, all telling her that she was killing fish in the rivers, stopping disabled people from getting around the site and that it's people like her who put this festival in jeopardy. She soon emerged looking very sheepish and almost walked straight into the wheelchair which she was blocking. I asked her if she was feeling better, just to make her feel that little bit worse.

I'm obviously not usually one to intentionally make people feel bad, but I felt that was an exception. Ridiculous, selfish behaviour. Hopefully she thought twice about peeing on the land after that. 

20 hours ago, stardustjunkie said:

We were camped in Bushy in the first on the right in that bit with a set of toilets (if you're walking from Silver Hayes). We had a small fire each night but were quiet as we were all so beat haha. However, our neighbours were a lovely bunch of Irish lads playing Ronan Keating and Bewitched etc. For the most part it was quiet and we found it quite amusing. Last night though.. they came back and were chanting and singing along to Irish songs. It went on for ages and it was very loud (think 5 or 6 lads shouting songs!). Eventually I had to go to bed and it kept me awake for a while which wasn't cool considering I had to be up at 5.30 for my coach! I apologise if it was them that kept you up - in hindsight a polite word might've changed things as they were very amicable but I just didn't have the energy.

I was further away I think about 100 metres from toilets also on the right hand side, had a white gazeebo has a landmark to locate our tents.

I wont moan anymore as being up at 5.30 must have been no fun:mellow:

7 hours ago, dj matt james said:

You will always get bottlenecks around the site but I feel the extra 15,000 (odd) people let in for sunday is just too much for the site to cope with. 

The Glastonbury licence allows for just 5000 Sunday tickets, sold to those of us who live locally and are affected by the festivals operation, it is a great opportunity to come along see what's happening and like us appreciate what's the festival, n turn this DOES increase the good will locally.

7 hours ago, Buttonhead said:

How dare people stay up til 4 (FOUR) IN the morning talking nicely amongst themselves! At Glastonbury of all places! Throw the book at them!

The problem is at that time of night noise travels far, even if it is quite chit chat. I have no real problems the other nights (honestly), but when people could potentially have a long drive next day I don't think its unreasonable to expect a bit of consideration. If people want to chat there other areas on site to do that, you have no other options where to sleep

Remember, driving while tired is a potential killer and has caused me issues over the years having nearly fallen asleep at the wheel on the motorway. Thankfully I was on the coach this year

8 minutes ago, Digital Monkey (Womad) said:

The problem is at that time of night noise travels far, even if it is quite chit chat. I have no real problems the other nights (honestly), but when people could potentially have a long drive next day I don't think its unreasonable to expect a bit of consideration. If people want to chat there other areas on site to do that, you have no other options where to sleep

Remember, driving while tired is a potential killer and has caused me issues over the years having nearly fallen asleep at the wheel on the motorway. Thankfully I was on the coach this year

Best way to be sure (the "tired driving" thing) would be to leave Sunday, and stop over if need be in a hotel on the way back.

one thing that pissed me off this year was the constant talking over sets. Went to see Art in Acoustic tent and couldn't bloody hear a thing because of everyone having bleeding stupid conversations, there's a living legend in front of them and they can't shut up for 45mins ... Had to leave as the atmosphere was completely ruined :wacko:

The only knob we had to deal with was during baggy Mondays we were down near the front behind the wooden frame that goes around the mental posts. We go there because we can stick out bags in there and have a dance without banging into people because it's so crowded. Which is what other people in the vincinty might do.

Well clearly not, there was a group next to us with one bloke who had obviously had a few beers and was clearly loving the show as he was bouncing up and down and side to the side most of the time. He also had a massive backpack on his back and sort of stood on the half turn facing the stage and his mates so he just constantly banged into the 2 girls in our group.

I didn't want to be a spoil sport and tell him to calm down as he was clearly into it. So I just swapped places with the 2 girls and bore the brunt of his bag for most of the gig. I don't like to tell people to calm down at gigs as it comes with he territory but I bit of awareness would have been nice. 

Also shout out to the girl who dragged a massive inflatable crocodile into the bar. As you can imagine people trying to get through couldn't see it and we're just constantly trippin over. Good move. 

Generally a great crowd, I find that the mud is a great way of levelling everyone out and builds great comraderie. I did however get really grumpy by the Sunday with people just standing on really busy paths to take photos or whatever, but that was mainly down to me being tired by that points. 

I also wasn't a fan of the crowds around Arcadia in the evenings. I went to watch Andy C and people were so lairy and inconsiderate, my friend ended up having a panic attack in the crowd. 

8 hours ago, FestiZebra said:

If people push past me I make an effort to ignore them and don't move. If people say "excuse me" I will happily let them through. I have always made a huge effort to say "sorry, could I just get through to that spot please? thankyou" which goes a long way.

This.

I actually thought there were tons of bellends this year. Loads of people trying to push forward when there wasn't space, If there was space, I wouldn't be stood so far back. 

It might make me a bad person, but... I encountered a girl charging along by the pyramid - elbows out, batting people out the way to get to Ellie Goulding. I had a slight 'silent anger' moment and thought I'd do a little kick and splash her wellies a bit. Turns out I have quite a high kick.

So, if you were the girl in the black dress who found one single, massive and perfect mud splat right on the arse of your dress, I'm really not sorry.

Edited by Amii

52 minutes ago, RickW said:

The Glastonbury licence allows for just 5000 Sunday tickets, sold to those of us who live locally and are affected by the festivals operation, it is a great opportunity to come along see what's happening and like us appreciate what's the festival, in turn this DOES increase the good will locally.

16 minutes ago, Skoo said:

Also someone stole my thermos cool bag filled with vodka, orange juice, kahlua, milk, bacon and sausages. They stole it on the Wednesday, really shit start to the festival. 

As man that stinks. Hope the fecking thieving scum choked on it. Loads of people (myself included) leave booze and juice in their tents, they're not really "valuable" so you just assume that people wont steal them. It's a risk I know but I can't trail to a lock up every time I want an orange juice. Hope it didn't ruin the festival for you.

On the "knob" front I was camped next to some young "ladies" who on returning to their tent in the early hours of the morning (4am ish) took exception to a guy snoring in his tent. Apparently this was keeping them awake despite them making enough noise to wake the dead on their return. As I took my tent down on Monday morning the bloke was still snoring away oblivious to the world so the only people they managed to annoy were people like me who were asleep.

Another irritant, though only a "why oh why" question irritant, is the people who attend a gig facing away from the stage? WTAF? Go do something else FFS.

5 minutes ago, Amii said:

the girl in the black dress who found one single, massive and perfect mud splat right on the arse of your dress

Oh fine shot! (Have you considered a career in professional football? I believe there are vacancies at the highest level at the moment...

I was camping up hill by Steanboat Dairy in Bushy ground. I'm a mid forties Glastonbury goer so don't want a camp site too noisy or boisterous. Everyone by our area was great, and had a nice Monday morning cider a camp fire with others in the area. Special thanks to the guys n girls who made the little walk ways and community areas in the camping fields.

Overall I thought the crowd at the festival were pretty well behaved. IMHO when you're a bit pilled up drunks can be a pain, but I guess that can work the other way.

Only saw two people urinate not in the toilets provided, unfortunately one was my mate who got horrifically drunk one evening. I did tell him if anyone sees him, expect alot of shouting and abuse to come your way.