Headliner predictions 2017

swede

• Replies 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, DownboundTrain52 said:

Meanwhile, in other prospective headliner news, Lady Gaga has posted 11,100 sales of Joanne in one day so far. Bearing in mind that it's including pre-orders there, and is likely to be pretty front-loaded, I can't see her getting past 35,000, unless she pulls off some big promotional gambit.

35,000 for a headliner isn't hugely bad in the current climate - similar to Biffy Clyro's latest - but if Gaga was to be booked, it would be on the strength of her back catalogue (as it would have to be with artists such as Green Day, or Biffy themselves).

Yeah.....it's a turkey.

And no wonder. A-Yo is OK, but Perfect Illusion is a fucking dud of a single. 

So...dunno. Could she headline successfully while trying to flog a big fat dud of an album?

Just now, CaledonianGonzo said:

Yeah.....it's a turkey.

So...dunno. Could she headline successfully while trying to flog a big fat dud of an album?

Everyone will know how big a flop it was and the bar will be dead low. She plays some hits - as she would anyway - and it's a triumph.

5 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Yeah.....it's a turkey.

It's got alright reviews. Can see a few of the songs working well live. Plus she's got the back catalogue stocked full of bangers. I'm a firm yes, she could.

Amy Lawn's take is that she's no smaller a sub than Pharell or Florence, and lest we forget that Queen Bey was first booked to sub in 2011. She's bigger than this year's subs, but not too big in the grand scheme of things. If she's a sub for Beyonce, I'm there singing, dancing and swigging rum. If she's a Pyramid headliner there's better things for me to see. Whilst it's not outside the realms of possibility that they'd book her as a headliner, I'm pretty sure they wouldn't do it so far in advance when her success is very unpredictable and there's other names they can turn to. Pushing my chips onto sub.

13 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I would forgive anyone that played me Telephone, Poker Face and Bad Romance in succession.

I'll notify Jack White.

10 minutes ago, somecoolusername said:

I just think she's way too big to sub. I'll believe it when I see it

Yeah I dunno why but it does seem like she's hopelessly reaching for the top again with this one. Just don't see her team already accepting a sub slot, tho I can imagine if Glasto did one of their "agree to sub slippery headliner and we'll move you up if it goes awry" deals she may accept with the chance of a slot she wouldn't originally be offered? Maybe.

8 minutes ago, dingbat2 said:

I am having a horrible thought we might get Take That, they just announced a uk tour ending on 16 June

:(

I think Zac's already nailed it saying they won't headline now without Robbie and the other one. If they could've probably convinced them when they were doing eight nights at Wembley Stadium, they're probably not that bothered about them while they're entertaining Carrow Road, like.

7 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Yeah I dunno why but it does seem like she's hopelessly reaching for the top again with this one. Just don't see her team already accepting a sub slot, tho I can imagine if Glasto did one of their "agree to sub slippery headliner and we'll move you up if it goes awry" deals she may accept with the chance of a slot she wouldn't originally be offered? Maybe.

In which case surely it's possible that has already happened and she's headlining 'instead of' the Roses, if the theory on here about the IOW stealing them at the last second is accurate. I certainly don't agree with whoever (sorry) just suggested she won't have been booked until they knew how her comeback was going to go - she's still a stadium filler, at least in America, so her schedule is going to be finalised way more than nine months in advance. Also  Emily just said they've got 90% of the line-up for next year sorted. 

13 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I think Zac's already nailed it saying they won't headline now without Robbie and the other one. If they could've probably convinced them when they were doing eight nights at Wembley Stadium, they're probably not that bothered about them while they're entertaining Carrow Road, like.

It's just so awkward now. When they first launched their comeback Radio 1 were massively behind it, now they're exclusively Radio 2 fare. Time for them to just accept their time has gone and focus on being a heritage act. Legends slot at the very very most for them now I reckon, even if they got Robbie back

49 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Amy Lawn's take is that she's no smaller a sub than Pharell or Florence, and lest we forget that Queen Bey was first booked to sub in 2011. She's bigger than this year's subs, but not too big in the grand scheme of things. If she's a sub for Beyonce, I'm there singing, dancing and swigging rum. If she's a Pyramid headliner there's better things for me to see. Whilst it's not outside the realms of possibility that they'd book her as a headliner, I'm pretty sure they wouldn't do it so far in advance when her success is very unpredictable and there's other names they can turn to. Pushing my chips onto sub.

Not fully up on that bit of folklore - who was Beyonce meant to sub?

26 minutes ago, Zac Quinn said:

It's just so awkward now. When they first launched their comeback Radio 1 were massively behind it, now they're exclusively Radio 2 fare. Time for them to just accept their time has gone and focus on being a heritage act. Legends slot at the very very most for them now I reckon, even if they got Robbie back

Take That's 2nd career has far outlasted, and outsold, their first.  They've had a good go.

1 minute ago, DownboundTrain52 said:

Not fully up on that bit of folklore - who was Beyonce meant to sub?

It's generally accepted that Beyonce was going to sub Coldplay and they thought they could get Prince for Sunday, but that never came off. Somewhere claimed that Mozza was asked to move to headline Sunday, but that doesn't sound too convincing to me. Neil believes Glastonbury often book subs who can be bumped up to headline if they have a headliner they're unsure of, this possibly happened with Kasabian in 2014. Worth mentioning that Beyonce subbed Coldplay at T In The Park that same year. T were actually having a bit of a bumper time of it at that point though, they had R&L's coheadliners Pulp and The Strokes subbing their main and second stages respectively, and another of R&L's outright headliners MCR playing 3rd down on main.