2016 Highlights

Winslow Leach

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Wooderson said:

Wouldve liked to have seen Billy Bragg.

I didn't regret it for a moment.  He came on with a face like thunder and played with an absolute passion.  At the end he said it had been cathartic and he was glad to have played to get something out of his system.  

Underworld were the absolute highlight for me, one of the most enjoyable glasto sets I can remember 

John Grant was awesome & my Saturday highlight, a real shame about his voice but it made the gig even more emotional.... & Glacier got me again!

and yesterday was all about LCD - really pleased they seemed to get a buzz off the vibe of the crowd - I think it was after he said I know you're all tired etc...everyone just seemed to go mental

notable mentions for Rokia Traore, Skepta, Roisin Murphy, Tame Impala, Mbongwana Star and Beck

6 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Ronnie Spector, man.....when she started singing my jaw the it the ground at how great she still sounded.

Damn right, a definite Glasto highlight this year. Nailed the Back to Black tribute to Amy and then Be My Baby:)

Heres mine -

1. Ronnie Spector. What a voice.
  2. Sam Lee. He came off the stage and sunk amongst the crowd for the final track. 30 or 40 of us gathered round as he and his band sung a Capella. Beautiful harmonies. A very special moment indeed
  3. The band of the weekend for me - The Ben Miller Band. There were certainly one or two similarities to the The Band, music style at times at the fact a couple swopped  musical instruments
  4. Sharon Shannon. We were dancing like loons at this one, partaking a bit of dad dancing and some improvising with our dance moves:)
  5. The Firework Display on Wednesday night
  6. A very delicious vegi stir fry from Manic Organic.
  7. Shower opposite The Engine Room
  8. Getting a free cd from Chubby Latouche at The Bez stage. Only about 20 of us there for what was a rather tragic set at times. He wasn't very good
  9. Other acts to mention - Rokia Traore, Show of Hands, Larkin Poe, Rockingbirds, Squeeze, Baaba Maal, Applewood Road - what a cover of Losing My Religion, Fishermans Friends and Cyndi Lauper. I was surprised how much I enjoyed Lauper's set.
  10. Finding my wallet. I had dropped it as I was having my dinner sitting down near West Holts, walked off and within 5 minutes  relaised I had lost it. Fortunately, found it again. Helped it was dark 

For me:

- Art Garfunkel  - yes, his voice is weaker, and there was a lot of noise from another stage, but I literally sobbed through some songs, I can't even explain why (Sound of Silence was immense). It was a privilege to be there.

- Ralph Lawson at Spaceport on Thursday - OMG he's still got it, I danced my arse off for two hours, fantastic!

- Band of Horses - never seen them before, well worth the trek to JP

- The Temperence Movement - another new find, brilliant.

- Travis - I know they don't get a lot of love on here but I was right on the barrier and to be honest by Saturday afternoon it was heavy going so standing in a tent singing along to (pretty much) every song lifted my spirits immensely.  Great friendly crowd too.

- ELO - another great singalong in the rain 

As for the headliners Coldplay stole it for me.  Great show, lovely tribute to Viola Beach, flashing wristbands and Barry & Michael !!!  Muse were technically great but you felt they could have been playing anywhere.  We lasted four songs of Adele :lol: xx

3 hours ago, ogriff said:

Patti Smith

WHAT!?

For me

5. James Blake

4. Sigur Ros

3. Anna Meredith

2. Dakhabrakha

1. LCD Soundsystem

Take away the emotion and circumstances surrounding LCD's show, and Dakhabrakha were the best. Utter exceptional set, got a soggy West Holts all crowd getting their grove on like nobody else I saw all weekend. If you can do that, while singing in Ukrainian and taking lengthy interludes to do bird calls, you're onto a winner.

Also loved; Art Garfunkel, Human Pyramids, Rokia Traore, Skepta, Explosions in the Sky, Car Seat Headrest, Mbongwana Star, Beck, [Japanese Orchestra With Mad Name], Gregory Porter,  and obviously the one and only Kamasi.

LCD Soundsystem - for being the best band that have ever lived 

James Blake - for having organ shuddering bass coupled with such fantastic musical quality 

Skepta - for making the pyramid feel like a London basement, absolutely smashed it

LCD obviously. Best festival set I've ever seen, and the competition doesn't even come close.

Garfunkel, New Order, Cristine and the Queens and ELO were all great too! 

Also got dragged along to Craig David which was actually pretty fucking mega and a hilarious way to warm up for LCD:lol:

30 minutes ago, sabre-toothed tart said:

Art Garfunkel  - yes, his voice is weaker, and there was a lot of noise from another stage, but I literally sobbed through some songs, I can't even explain why (Sound of Silence was immense). It was a privilege to be there.

When he played the extra verse to The Boxer, I too got all overwhelmed and started crying. A privilege indeed.

Also: Billy Bragg, PJ Harvey and Coldplay. 

Art Garfunkel destroyed me, I was stood with a quivering lip from pretty much start to finish! I never thought I'd hear some of those songs live ever, and it was a truly special experience. John Grant was amazing, totally respected the effort he put in despite having voice problems! Half Moon Run were brilliant. Billy Bragg did a fab job and really verbalised the feelings many of us had around the site on Friday. Coldplay blew me away, Adele also (even though I wasn't really a fan. She did a fab job!) and Muse were great but on the same level as Coldplay for me. They really did a great job of closing what's been an amazing time in the best place in the world.  I'm all watery eyed just thinking back to it all! :(

Edited by halfmoon

My top five:

1. LCD Soundsystem -  Everything I'd hoped it would be and more, perfect end to the festival.

2. Underworld - the biggest surprise of the festival for me, always been more of a casual fan and only really decided to go cause I didn't have the energy to head to the JP for Sigur Ros, but they smashed it.

3. Hinds - I don't I've ever seen a band so brimming with positivity and happiness as these guys were. Their set was pure joy and considering how shitty I was feeling on Sunday they turned my day around. 

4. Chvrches - one of my favourite acts and they didn't disappoint. Can see them moving up to Pyramid sub next time they play.

5. Last Shadow Puppets - enjoyed this a helluva lot. The combination of Alex, Miles and the crowd all being up for it meant it was a great show. 

Richard Hawley on Friday night at the Park was mesmerising. One of my favourite festival sets ever!

Gregory Porter was fantastic as always and PJ was incredible. Had no idea Alain Johannes was in her band!

Really enjoyed Band of Skulls, St Paul and the Broken Bones and ELO.

But Hawley has to go down as my highlight of the weekend!

3 hours ago, The 38 year old virgin said:

Not seen much said about pj Harvey.  Jaw dropping set at field day,  and I thought she looked brilliant on the other yesterday.  Anyone there with an opinion? 

absolutely stunning i thought! it was so moving emotionally. her band were unbelievable and her outfit was just top drawer.

cried when she read that poem out!

not even a big fan of hers before but 50ft queenie showed she can still rock out too. perfect.

Best acts were: LCD, PJ Harvey (set of the festival, so moving), Charlotte Church Pop Dungeon, Four tet's early set on stonebridge bar, Mik Artistik (Avalon cafe), Jess Robinson on cabaret (check her out she must be on youtube!) Bramble FM, Jarvis Cocker Djing, Moxie On Loop Thursday night special especially Joy Orbison, and finally all the amazing political bits and bobs to look at around Shangri La especially the "Pocket Money Loans" installation from Dismaland.

LCD soundsystem was my set of the weekend, absolutely nailed it! Perfect set list, marvellous atmosphere, the band and the crowd totally fed off each other and it just built and built. Incredible!!

Sigor Ros was just sublime!

Bat For Lashes, amazing set!

Fatboy Slim was fantastic 

New order I loved just wished they'd got longer

had a brilliant festival!!!

New Order - main headliner for the weekend for me. Should have got a longer set.

Richard Hawley - my Friday night choice, great set.

Ed Harcourt - one of my favourites generally

Saint Etienne - joyous hits set

Tame Impala - probably my favourite on the Pyramid

Last Shadow Puppets - not fond of Miles but Alex Turner is amazing to watch

Also Madness, Coldplay, Beck, James, Squeeze, Billy Bragg, Heaton/Abbot... I could go on.

I was fortunate not to have made a duff choice all weekend, but this thread just emphasises how you miss far more than you can ever see.

A couple that haven't been mentioned - Kate Tempest's slots in the SE corner on Thursday evening may have made a 50 yr old cynic get something in his eye.

Stereo MCs in the Glade yesterday - it was my festival 'moment' where my mood, appropriate alcohol consumption, and the band create that perfect synergy. Such a friendly, chilled-out crowd too ... I was so glad I made the painful decision to miss the rest of the Bottlemen's set for it.

Saw New Order with my teenage daughter. She knows very little about them and I'm not a huge fan. We expected to stay for a couple of tracks but we saw it all, and both rate it as a highlight. 

Chuffed and nae surprised with the love for LCD on 'ere. Sadly, I missed them this time due to two year old, precipitation and the utter c**twarrior of a walk to west 55. Amazingly I could hear Innocuous quite clearly as I dragged the tent past PGA. They play the Picnic in Sept, clock on that already ticking.

Your cities a sucker my city's in heat.

Underworld and New Order were fucking great. I desperately wanted both to put in a great performance as well. Foals and Madness were also brilliant, TLSP were great, and so were LCD and ELO. I enjoyed nearly everything I seen. 

The Last Shadow Puppets - Been waiting to see the new album live since its release and they didn't disappoint. I burst out laughing when Turner strolled out with the jacket and that t-shirt on. I just wish I remembered Tame Impala afterwards!

Foals - First time seeing them live, very impressed.

Earth, Wind & Fire - Perfect end to the festival and Gary Clark, Jr. was superb beforehand too although I wish he'd done Numb and Church!

Jagwar Ma started off well but then I went over to Hip-Hop Karaoke.

Vince Staples and Skepta were my surprises of the festival.

Gregory Porter sounded class from our tents, wish I'd have gone down to see him.

Must say that I enjoyed everything  I saw. Underworld were outstanding on Friday, Chvrches into New Order an excellent Saturday and Beck was quite brilliant on Sunday. But the best was saved for last. LCD Soundsystem absolutely smashed it. Incredible set, an energised crowd and a Glastonbury moment with All My Friends. A perfect way to round off the weekend 

Favourites

Coldplay was probably the best festival set I've ever seen, and I don't say that lightly! Performance, Atmosphere, Gibb, Eavis. A classic.

Chvrches more than delivered in their high billing. Was right up front, the sound was immense, and I sung every single word (which is unusual for me!). Added sunset bonus.

M83 were a new find for me prior to the festival, and they are now one of my favourite bands after that performance. Great atmosphere in the JP tent too.

Special mention to Wolf Alice. Was concerned they might freeze on the big stage, but they sounded as tight as they were on the Park last year.

Others

Muse were very good, but that was my 10th time, and am definitely getting a bit tired of seeing the same old songs. Big thumbs up for unexpectedly playing Stockholm Syndrome, and having the balls to keep The Globalist in the festival set.

Foals were good too. Will definitely be investigating their back catalogue. Also had a nice chat with a couple of young ladies before they excitedly went charging off into the thick if it shortly after the start ha.

Finally, Editors never disappoint live, John Grant sounded good despite apparently having flu, and Two Door Cinema Club played well through the awful conditions. Bat for Lashes was a bit flat to start, but seemed to win over the crowd by the end.

Love Glastonbury :)