Secret Glasto Sets

SecretGlasto

7 hours ago, Curlygirl said:

@Padawan thanx for stepping in!! 

Could someone please tell me how I go about getting text alerts from Twitter? 

1) I don't do Twitter!

2) I'm a technophobe so no complicated destructions please.

3) Lists are better in odd numbers. 

Ta lovelies :rolleyes:

Padawan is another name for student in training, @august1 is the one who needs our thanks this year!

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Unless things have changed, you can set up the recipe on the web site.  There is a bit of a gotcha with the phone number format though.  Let's say your phone number is 077 7777 7777, the international version would normally be +4477 7777 7777.  Well, not with IFTTT, for them you must enter 0044077 7777 7777, so replace the "+" with "00" and include the leading zero after the "44".

I've just set a recipe up, can someone give it a go and let me know if:

• There are any problems
  • It shows my phone number (I don't think it will, but it wasn't 100% clear)

https://ifttt.com/recipes/425731-sms-secretglasto-tweets

After some basic googling it looks like the SMS channel is native to the site so only one phone would be needed. Also it's not 'your' recipe Stu, by that what i mean is i get to copy the instructions to my channel so it becomes a personalised recipe, not that i get to use  the recipe you created, so your number shouldn't be attached. That's not to say i'm not grateful you made it though! Hopefully thats come across right. I've copied the recipe to my account now anyway so will keep you updated if i do get your number. Thanks.

1 minute ago, Adamon said:

After some basic googling it looks like the SMS channel is native to the site so only one phone would be needed. Also it's not 'your' recipe Stu, by that what i mean is i get to copy the instructions to my channel so it becomes a personalised recipe, not that i get to use  the recipe you created, so your number shouldn't be attached. That's not to say i'm not grateful you made it though! Hopefully thats come across right. I've copied the recipe to my account now anyway so will keep you updated if i do get your number. Thanks.

I understand - when I published the recipe it then became a public version, with my personal details stripped out.  Excellent.

oh right i get it now.

Ive set up a coupld of recipes on IFTTT which work superbly but I kinda assumed I'd still have to have my mobile data on my phone switched on to get the text messages.  As its the website sending out the texts I suppose i just need to have a laptop left switched on in the house then I get all the important tweets whilst saving my battery life.  Result!

4 minutes ago, zico martin said:

oh right i get it now.

Ive set up a coupld of recipes on IFTTT which work superbly but I kinda assumed I'd still have to have my mobile data on my phone switched on to get the text messages.  As its the website sending out the texts I suppose i just need to have a laptop left switched on in the house then I get all the important tweets whilst saving my battery life.  Result!

You don't need anything left on i think - IFTTT will just loop the recipe on its server until a change (new tweet) occurs and then automatically command a text to be sent

Why is everyone over complicating it? Just go on twitter on your smartphone now, go to @secretglasto and click on the settings icon, then click on 'turn on notifications'. You will then get a twitter notification on your smartphone and a text message for every tweet from @secretglasto. When you swap your SIM into your festival phone you will still get the text messages. Couldn't be any easier.

1 minute ago, fightoffyour said:

Why is everyone over complicating it? Just go on twitter on your smartphone now, go to @secretglasto and click on the settings icon, then click on 'turn on notifications'. You will then get a twitter notification on your smartphone and a text message for every tweet from @secretglasto. When you swap your SIM into your festival phone you will still get the text messages. Couldn't be any easier.

I presume if you are just using a normal phone this year for everything then it all just through as standard.

2 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Because it doesn't work on all networks.

Just now, thewayiam said:

I presume if you are just using a normal phone this year for everything then it all just through as standard.

What's a normal phone? I'm using a smartphone now and putting my SIM into a festival phone (old Nokia, not at all smart or internet enabled) when I go. Texts will come through directly from twitter - no second phone, no IFTTT

Just now, fightoffyour said:

What's a normal phone? I'm using a smartphone now and putting my SIM into a festival phone (old Nokia, not at all smart or internet enabled) when I go. Texts will come through directly from twitter - no second phone, no IFTTT

Ah I just mean a smart phone man, have a power pack so not bothering with sim swapping this year. Can be a bit of a faff. 

29 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Ah, fair enough. Then may I recommend 3 :P

Does your 3 SIM work in non-3G mobiles? Mine never used to (I'm on EE now).

From the 3 website:

f you’re using a Pay As You Go SIM in a phone that you didn’t buy from us, you’ll need to make sure it’ll work in your phone:

• Our SIMs are only compatible with 3G or 4G phones, so your SIM won’t work if you try and put it in an older phone.

Edited by big__phil

1 hour ago, big__phil said:

Well la-di-da! :P

I've got an old flip-phone which lasts about a week, but needs a non-3G SIM. Easy enough to get a PAYG one from a pound shop though.

According to the Twitter website the SMS service also works with Orange. It's possible that it might work with EE and T Mobile as well, though they're not specifically mentioned. There was someone who had EE sims to give away on the ticket competitions thread if that's any help.