666 members have voted

1. 1. Are we IN or OUT

• IN
    • OUT

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm out on the basis that I feel staying in the EU is not a status quo to the current state of affairs. The project isn't going in the direction I like. Handing more power to the political elite rather than to the people of Europe and creating vacuums of wealth within the mainland itself.

I'm not going to dismiss that there aren't any pros for staying in but I've made my decision. I can respect yours if you've voted otherwise.

1 hour ago, willutalk said:

I'm out on the basis that I feel staying in the EU is not a status quo to the current state of affairs. The project isn't going in the direction I like. Handing more power to the political elite rather than to the people of Europe and creating vacuums of wealth within the mainland itself.

I'm not going to dismiss that there aren't any pros for staying in but I've made my decision. I can respect yours if you've voted otherwise.

You think they're the political elite, rather than the person you'll be crowning as our new PM - the self-confessed liar Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson?

2 minutes ago, clarkete said:

You think they're the political elite, rather than the person you'll be crowning as our new PM - the self-confessed liar Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson?

@clarkete I am pretty much a Brexiter at the moment - just by gut instinct - but I am also very willing to be swayed in the other direction, as long as it's not a politician or a banker- type person with a vested interest trying to tell me what to do.

Also, I will not be swayed by what you have just posted! I'm looking for reasoned debates, please, rather than slagging off the people you disagree with.

Just now, JanieM28 said:

@clarkete I am pretty much a Brexiter at the moment - just by gut instinct - but I am also very willing to be swayed in the other direction, as long as it's not a politician or a banker- type person with a vested interest trying to tell me what to do.

Also, I will not be swayed by what you have just posted! I'm looking for reasoned debates, please, rather than slagging off the people you disagree with.

I'm pointing out that saying that people who represent us at the eu level are "an elite" is no more true than it is for members of the cabinet, mps, county councillors, district councillors - there are people who can be accused of being elite or not at every level.

Likewise, the talk of people with "vested interests", that's hyperbole too, so I'm afraid you're guilty too.

6 minutes ago, clarkete said:

I'm pointing out that saying that people who represent us at the eu level are "an elite" is no more true than it is for members of the cabinet, mps, county councillors, district councillors - there are people who can be accused of being elite or not at every level.

Likewise, the talk of people with "vested interests", that's hyperbole too, so I'm afraid you're guilty too.

True - regarding your first paragraph. Except that we can fire them all in the UK if we want to. We can't really do that with those who supposedly represent us at EU level.

All of them have vested interests, don't they? In the UK and the EU? It's just that our very own politicians risk the sack, whereas the EU lot doesn't.

50 minutes ago, JanieM28 said:

True - regarding your first paragraph. Except that we can fire them all in the UK if we want to. We can't really do that with those who supposedly represent us at EU level.

All of them have vested interests, don't they? In the UK and the EU? It's just that our very own politicians risk the sack, whereas the EU lot doesn't.

Both of your paragraphs are straight out of the brexit leaflets and they fail your test of reasoning in my eyes:-

I elect my MEP same as my other elected reps. 

People talk about non-elected folks, but there are cabinet members etc in other forms of government - it is fundamentally democratic.  If we leave we just won't any longer have a voice in europe. 

There are no other countries inside or outside of europe who achieve this panacea that they magically envision.

I'm out, fear the control of Europe more than the control of the elected Conservatives. Plus I have a fear for Corbyn's more positive policies being pushed back by a far right Europe if/when he gets elected in 2020. 

I just cast my postal vote. I'm voting to remain. My decision was in no way decided on by anything any of the politicians have been saying. My decision is based on many factors. None of them though were based on 'statistics' or 'scaremongering'.

15 hours ago, JanieM28 said:

I can't wait for the next elections for the Lords, Bank of England and the Monarchy.

On 31/05/2016 at 9:05 AM, eFestivals said:

(that's the method of distributing development funds. Before the EU, the UK also had a method for distributing development funds, of around the same proportion of GDP as now. There's naff all meaningful difference with that, ultimately).

The problem is, apparently the leave campaign want to spend the 50 million we pay to the EU on the NHS, or whatever the 'big' thing is this week. There's been no mention of putting it into projects the EU funds at the moment. None at all.

We could assume that they would continue to go ahead and that money be spent as is, but that's contrary to what the leave campaign is pushing.

Apparently TurkeyMacedonia, Montenegro, Serbia and Albania are the next countries to join. So they aren't included in any figures.

Class sizes will get bigger and more diverse, Yippee.

Means more school building work for my friendly Polish builder.

Longer waiting times at the hospital. Yippee, it'll help relieve the health care burden on their economies.

3 hours ago, sime said:

I just cast my postal vote. I'm voting to remain. My decision was in no way decided on by anything any of the politicians have been saying. My decision is based on many factors. None of them though were based on 'statistics' or 'scaremongering'.

I've just done mine for pretty much the same reason. I've ignored all politicians and gone for a gut instinct. I truly don't think we have it bad here within the EU.

4 hours ago, BLTN said:

I'm out, fear the control of Europe more than the control of the elected Conservatives. Plus I have a fear for Corbyn's more positive policies being pushed back by a far right Europe if/when he gets elected in 2020. 

What positive policies could be pushed back? 

2 hours ago, Thevorpalblade said:

In an effort to improve my 'positive/negative' rating....

I look forward to welcoming visitors from Turkey, Macedonia, Montenegro, Serbia and Albania to our hospital queues, schools and workplaces.

I'm sure everyone will agree.

I got private medical, no kids or intention to have kids, and a confidence that I'm good enough at and valued enough in my job that a Turkish ex-pat won't be able to steal it. So I'm with you!