Festival toilets

pinkmolly226

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As previously mentioned, the best course of action is to just sit if it's dry and clean, or give a quick wipe with tissue then sit. You really can't go wrong! The only bit I don't like (in the long drops) is that I am short so can't quite sit far back enough without my thighs touching the front edge which is metal and bastard freezing! 

If you open a door and find a mucky one you really can't deal with, just step back into the queue and let a man go in for a wee! The try again at the next available one. Carry tissues and antibacterial gel and be careful of dropping your shorts/tights/leggings too far down, no one wants them to go in anything dubious! 

As soemone said earlier, you need to wee so just do it. It really isn't that bad. And please don't do that feet on the sides squat thing, last year the long drops were muddier from boot mud right next to the seat, if you have been blessed with a larger behind like me, you really don't want to sit on mud! Oh and make sure you hold your keks out of the way while you sit, so they don't touch the front which sometimes can have a fair bit of wee dribbling down! 

Blimey, sorry, that was a bit of an essay! But I hope I made a point! 

Happy pooping, people. And remember, long drops with no roof are lovely to go in if its raining. Odd experience at first, but really quite refreshing. Open air pooing is the way forward! And don't forget the shift and lift theory either!

A word of warning for those of you thinking about using toilet seat covers - most, if not all, the long drops don't have toilet seats. Instead they have moulded seats that don't lift, so you'll have to reconsider what to cover them with (if you feel you need to) or use the compost toilets. 

thumb_100_0377_1024-690x518.jpg

Some good advice here.

Also try and avoid the long drops where you couldnt see the person before you's legs.  Im not quite sure why they do it, but there seems to be an utterly revolting trend where people (massive sterotype alert) Teenage wimmin folk usually, stand on the long drops and piss/shit everywhere but in the hole.  Seriously folks?  Standing on the bog seat?

If we all sat down we wouldnt have an issue here.  

:D I do love some of the replies in this thread, toilet humour makes me laugh! 

Ive never understood how people can actually do the feet up on the sides thing, if the toilet is wet I'd be terrified I'll slip and who knows what you'd land in :blink: The must be acrobats. 

I love watching the faces of people as they slowly open the door and peek in to see what's facing them.

Toilets are the absolute least of my worries about festivals but it would be nice to avoid the long drops if possible.

I only ended up using one once last time I was there and went for the compost ones instead. Hate the idea of sitting on a long drop in the rain :unsure:

So can anyone tell me if all the campsites have compost toilets now? Not sure where I'll be camping now woodsies is closed.

12 hours ago, MissStarlight said:

The toilets are grim for sure, although it's all about timing. The mornings are fine as they've just been cleaned, but the evenings can be touch & go.

If only men had to sit down to wee just like women, there'd be a whole lot less piss on the seats.

The piss all over the seats in the long drops is almost entirely from women. Same goes for the mud that looks like shit at the sides.

It's quite a recent phenomenon, and coincides with the influx of the fuckwits with flowers in their hair dressed head to toe in top shop.

1 minute ago, kaytee... said:

Toilets are the absolute least of my worries about festivals but it would be nice to avoid the long drops if possible.

I only ended up using one once last time I was there and went for the compost ones instead. Hate the idea of sitting on a long drop in the rain :unsure:

So can anyone tell me if all the campsites have compost toilets now? Not sure where I'll be camping now woodsies is closed.

Pretty much all the campsites have compost toilets now, unless you're camped near somewhere where there are long drops anyway like at the bottom of Pennards by the railway line. 

As far as I know they're still adding to the number of compost toilets on site. And the number of urinals, which might help with the amount of pee on the seats, from guys anyway. 

9 hours ago, ohvienna said:

If there's some wee on the seat I just use a thick wad of tissue to wipe it up and then sit down and wee. You are anti-baccing your hands afterwards, don't really see the problem. If there's LOADS of wee on the seat, then I just wait for a different one.

What annoys me more than when girls climb on the long drop seats and wee everywhere is when people just chuck toilet tissue on it so there's just some disgusting soggy piss tissues sitting there instead 

Thank god I'm not the only one!  I have the same issue at work - people leaving the hand tissue all over the floor because they can't use a fucking bin properly :wacko:

1 minute ago, musky said:

Pretty much all the campsites have compost toilets now, unless you're camped near somewhere where there are long drops anyway like at the bottom of Pennards by the railway line. 

As far as I know they're still adding to the number of compost toilets on site. And the number of urinals, which might help with the amount of pee on the seats, from guys anyway. 

That'll do me then :)

And to think when I went Kendal Calling about six years ago, I paid £1 daily to use the compost toilets! I don't think they were as widely used as they are now but they must be so much cheaper to run than portaloos.

Not sure why blokes are being blamed for pissing on the seats. There are invariably urinals next to any long drops so why would men use them unless they need a dump?  

Anyway, the ones by Lulu's café have always been nice and clean. Not sure what the impact of moving John Peel tent will be though, they may be a lot busier.

11 minutes ago, pinkmolly226 said:

I've not been for 4 years, have they all changed now? From what I'm hearing compost toilets are the way forward! 

I think it was 2013 that they experimented with a small number of compost toilets and went big with them a year later. They're still mainly in the campsites, although there are others dotted about in other spots. There are some in the market area just near the Babylon tent. 

I don't find the compost toilets smelly at all, as long as people remember to use the sawdust!

Edited by musky

I tend to always go for short or longdrops as they are open to the air. Bit of Vick works wonders. Wipe if required, sit, shit, wipe. 

41 minutes ago, russycarps said:

The piss all over the seats in the long drops is almost entirely from women. Same goes for the mud that looks like shit at the sides.

It's quite a recent phenomenon, and coincides with the influx of the fuckwits with flowers in their hair dressed head to toe in top shop.

Almost 100% accurate. Except I think these days it is Zara and H&M as their official outfitters.

1 hour ago, musky said:

A word of warning for those of you thinking about using toilet seat covers - most, if not all, the long drops don't have toilet seats. Instead they have moulded seats that don't lift, so you'll have to reconsider what to cover them with (if you feel you need to) or use the compost toilets. 

See, that's why I don't get why people go on about the toilets- usually they look like that, they're pretty clean - you could eat your dinner off it! I don't get what the problem is- are public toilets really any better?

People end up making it more of a problem by being overly fussy, squatting and then weeing all over them (and getting muddy foot prints that you aren't sure whether it is mud or poo), making them far worse than they were in the first place.

Edited by Mr.Tease

There was a great photo on here years ago that someone had taken by holding their camera down one of the longdrops.

Took a while to figure out exactly what it was you were looking at before you realised it was a succession of arses.

2 hours ago, musky said:

What a wonderfully clean long drop. I'd be super happy if I came across that one.

1 hour ago, ICGenie said:

And am I the only one who finds the compost loos smellier than the long drops?  And the back up of waste is horrible.

The compost toilets are better but only if they're regularly cleaned/emptied. I think they had some issues last year and didn't get emptied as often as they should.

If you catch a glimpse of under the compost toilets you'll notice everything goes in to wheeliebins. Once I was using one and thought - is this really what my life has come to? I'm shitting in to a wheeliebin now?

Personally I deal with them by climbing up onto the seat, squatting and then attempting to aim into the hole. Sure it only makes it in there 50% of the time, but it keeps people employed cleaning them out.

Top tip for this, most people try make the mistake of mounting the toilet facing towards the door, the pro way to do this is to face the back of the cubicle which gives you the divider to hold onto while you squat - much less likely to take a fall that way.

Bonus tip - make sure to pop your head over to you neighbours cubicle and say hello before dismounting. People love to see a friendly face when they are doing a shit!

/s

Edited by blackred