Beverage Of Choice

Stooonami

2 hours ago, bennyboi said:

I think anything decent is wasted, especially on a Sunday. I took a small bottle of glen morangie a few years back and I necked it at 3am, I was w*nkered and knew about the next morning but it might as well have been any old swill for that purpose. 

I drank it during Patti Smith last year. Nice little cognac buzz at 2pm. Cheapo hard booze at any time, any place is a no no.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

Taken various things previously and undecided this year, but will definitely be taking some cans of some sort for the long distance drinking in the day (probably some form of ale or bitter as that's my current preference) and some spiced rum.  Probably Kraken again.  If I want a cider, I'll get a Thatchers/Brothers from the bars.

Regards keeping cold, I have an Igloo Coolbox, which was quite pricey but if you pack it with frozen water or soft drinks in plastic bottles it will stay mostly frozen and keep other things cold for about 5 days.  It's a bulky thing, but it's a Godsend for Glasto.  Just pile it in the gardening trolley with the tent & camp chairs and we're away.

I have one of the Coleman boxes and last year it did us amazingly well. Fill it with ice and booze on the Wednesday and take a separate small soft sided cool bag to put inside your rucksack. Fill it up with booze and a couple of ice packs every morning from the cool box and you have cold beers all day!

We emptied the cool box on Monday morning and it was still full of ice.

Would struggle to go without it now!

Ben

2 hours ago, sloseph said:

take a bucket! Asda do plastic ones for a couple of quid

once you're on site and set up fill it with water then chuck a few cans in, then when you want a drink remove it from the bucket and it will have cooled down to a decent temperature

it works better than the keeping cans under your tent method ever has for me

Did this very thing last year and it worked a charm. 

3 hours ago, CHRLY said:

I'll be taking some Ales in cans, probably some Old Speckled Hen. Anyone know if you can get London Pride in more that 4-can quantities?

I have taken part in lots of research of canned ale tasting over the last few years and I have to say I think speckled hen is a bit crap. I much prefer tanglefoot, which has the added benefit of being stronger, so it ranks higher on the being pissed/needing a piss scale. 

I think the darker the beer, the more it favours being drunk warm (not warm, but 'not cold') so any local Brewers you have that make a porter or a stout could well be worth a go. Hastings brewery make a bloody excellent breakfast oatmeal stout that is fantastic in a can, but it's not easy to find and its not cheap. My research goes on :lol:

5 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

I have taken part in lots of research of canned ale tasting over the last few years and I have to say I think speckled hen is a bit crap. I much prefer tanglefoot, which has the added benefit of being stronger, so it ranks higher on the being pissed/needing a piss scale. 

I think the darker the beer, the more it favours being drunk warm (not warm, but 'not cold') so any local Brewers you have that make a porter or a stout could well be worth a go. Hastings brewery make a bloody excellent breakfast oatmeal stout that is fantastic in a can, but it's not easy to find and its not cheap. My research goes on :lol:

I'd tend to agree with this.  Dark beer/mild/porter etc is absolutely fine at room temperature or "unchilled" but unfortunately, it also bloats me up like crazy so can't drink much before I feel like a weeble.

Hobgoblin is pretty good in cans and unchilled.  So is Stones Bitter (but this could be just me as a Sheffielder, as I was inducted to my drinking career on gallons of the stuff).

4 hours ago, sloseph said:

take a bucket! Asda do plastic ones for a couple of quid

once you're on site and set up fill it with water then chuck a few cans in, then when you want a drink remove it from the bucket and it will have cooled down to a decent temperature

it works better than the keeping cans under your tent method ever has for me

Yes, we do loads of camping and the cold water/bucket/bowl never fails to cool the drinks at any time of day.

We use a plastic fabric bowl thingy that rolls up into a ball like a sock and is very light weight. It balloons out at the base so it's fairly stable on uneven ground. Just remember to keep any water in the shade to keep it cool.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/PMS-International-090-260-Foldable/dp/B008GSYQ7Q/ref=pd_sim_sbs_200_4?ie=UTF8&dpID=4174I4k4fzL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=FQT60GAWFANHJXH22ACZ

1 hour ago, lucyginger said:

Did someone mention Buckfast in cans?! Where does one buy such a thing? We love a bit of Brekkie Buckie at our camp :)

You definitely get Buckfast in cans up here in Glasgow, they're not particularly big, they're the same size as pre-mix GnT/Vodka cans 

image.jpeg

2 hours ago, balti-pie said:

Someone should get the dedicated 'decent canned ale' thread up and running again. Loads of craft beers in cans now.

2 minutes ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

Someone should get the dedicated 'decent canned ale' thread up and running again. Loads of craft beers in cans now.

Agreed.  Well volunteered BSR.  You're a decent sort and it's not true what they all say about you.

Lots of those craft beers are quite pricey though - £2-3 a can for 330ml is equivalent to the likely £4.80odd for a fresh pint at the bar, which won't be warm from me dragging it around all day! Ill definitely do the 'bucket of cold water dip treatment' thing though. 

I tend to prefer your massive hop-forward kickarse IPAs at about 8% and they really are better off being chilled. Lager is pretty much undrinkable unless it's cold. Ugh, I'm recalling those last crappy carlings of my mates i smashed down last year. Bogging (but free)

4 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

Lots of those craft beers are quite pricey though - £2-3 a can for 330ml is equivalent to the likely £4.80odd for a fresh pint at the bar, which won't be warm from me dragging it around all day! Ill definitely do the 'bucket of cold water dip treatment' thing though. 

I tend to prefer your massive hop-forward kickarse IPAs at about 8% and they really are better off being chilled. Lager is pretty much undrinkable unless it's cold. Ugh, I'm recalling those last crappy carlings of my mates i smashed down last year. Bogging (but free)

Oh I definitely think there are beers that are tastier from a can, even a non-chilled one, than the standard pints on offer at the bar; and not all of them are that expensive (anymore). For further discussion, I have started a dedicated thread:

1 hour ago, Mezhyp1 said:

You definitely get Buckfast in cans up here in Glasgow, they're not particularly big, they're the same size as pre-mix GnT/Vodka cans 

image.jpeg

I'm going to hunt for these! being a shandy drinking southerner, we don't have much Buckfast 'round these parts, so I have to hunt for it in bottles as it is! Mind you, decanted bottles is better than none at all! 

A few plastic bottles of vodka from the duty free in dublin airport, and then whatever cans I can get at whatever supermarket our taxi man stops at in Bristol, hopefully ales or cider (or both) as they are easier to drink warm. Probably won't bring many cans since we can't bring a trolley so we'll have to carry everything. Top that up with a few pints and cocktails from bars on site and I should be sorted.

On 18 May 2016 at 0:35 PM, p.pete said:

Does anyone know anything about cinnamon bark?  I got a bag of it from a Chinese store and thought it would infuse well with vodka and some granny smith apples.  I mixed these altogether last night, but was wondering if there's any issue with leaving the bark in there for the next month?  It's like actual pieces of tree, I'll filter it out but it's probably a long-shot for this to become my beverage of choice!

It'll be fine, the longer you leave it the more the flavour should infuse. 

On 18/05/2016 at 0:35 PM, p.pete said:

Does anyone know anything about cinnamon bark?  I got a bag of it from a Chinese store and thought it would infuse well with vodka and some granny smith apples.  I mixed these altogether last night, but was wondering if there's any issue with leaving the bark in there for the next month?  It's like actual pieces of tree, I'll filter it out but it's probably a long-shot for this to become my beverage of choice!

You will also get a stronger flavour if you break it up of grind it in a coffee bean grinder or similar, but if you go too fine it will be impossible to sieve out.  I'd stick some in a tea towel and smash it with a mallet or something before putting it in.  Take it out of the tea towel first though...;)

Currently planning to take;

• 60-70 cans (cider and Guinness, waiting for the football deals to kick in at the supermarket)
  • 2x litres of JD (1 brought)
  • 1x litre Russian Standard vodka (brought)
  • 500ml something else (probably infused vodka or rum, whatever I grab from the drinks cabinet on the day)
  • Hipflask full of something decent, likely Woodford Reserve

Shared between two of us, pretty much the same as the last couple of years and has done us through with little to no leftovers.

1 minute ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

You will also get a stronger flavour if you break it up of grind it in a coffee bean grinder or similar, but if you go too fine it will be impossible to sieve out.  I'd stick some in a tea towel and smash it with a mallet or something before putting it in.  Take it out of the tea towel first though...;)

I just lumped it in as is - looking like a pulpy mush now.  Should have peeled the apples too - a very chewy tipple

8 hours ago, p.pete said:

I just lumped it in as is - looking like a pulpy mush now.  Should have peeled the apples too - a very chewy tipple

Nah, you'll be fine. I've got the same (large cinnamon sticks, unpeeled apples) in a jar with a vanilla pod and JD. 

Strain it through muslin and then coffee filter paper and it'll be smashing. 

Don't chuck the apples, make a boozy pie with them. 

8 hours ago, p.pete said:

It'll be fine, I made spiced chestnut liquor last year and included whole cinnamon, and I have made star Anise vodka in the past. if anything the longer you infuse the better.