marathonsteve

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, duke88 said:

Don't remember frosted tankards. It's this one:

large.TrickettsBar.jpg.8b420193c0770f2fe

Ahh right. The one I'm thinking of is a bit further down, basically tight along the back wall / fence that goes up the hill from left of the stage. Did cocktails etc. Frosted tankards weren't that nice in the cold & damp last year though! 

40 minutes ago, Bonaneas said:

Ahh right. The one I'm thinking of is a bit further down, basically tight along the back wall / fence that goes up the hill from left of the stage. Did cocktails etc. Frosted tankards weren't that nice in the cold & damp last year though! 

I'm sure there's a Pimm's bar up there too. I remember drinking Pimm's on the park hill last time I was there.

5 hours ago, duke88 said:

Don't remember frosted tankards. It's this one:

large.TrickettsBar.jpg.8b420193c0770f2fe

Love this. Had some nice cocktails from there on my last visit in 2015. Shall be making the hill pilgrimage soon after setting up camp in June and watching the site come alive. Phok. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 2017-5-12 at 3:54 PM, Beerqueen said:

What are "their old tricks"?

Strummerville - not really for the bar as such but for the chilled area to sit in with the sofas and the big fire which never goes out.  Obviously best if it's not raining (which it's not going to).  It's a slog up the hill but my favourite place.

Bimble Inn late evening - great bands and good ale.  Though it was very quiet when I went there last year - I think maybe people couldn't be bothered to trudge through the mud.

Like others have said - The Spike - had great old music playing last year when I looked in mid-evening - loads of old soul and motown and it looks magical at night.

I suspect that you may be correct why that bar was quiet.

You may be interested to know that the WBC has kept extensive records over the past 30 years and they know what weather conditions make for higher sales.

Yes for sure Mud everywhere is a complete downer and bar sales drop off the roof but what some people may not appreciate is ' if its a very Hot Glastonbury { last one was 2010 } this also can affect sales .

The perfect weather for bar sales is ' Overcast ' but without any Mud.

Over my Years I have worked in one bar that ' we needed a boat ' to make the bar inspection - that was a strange experience as we rowed into the bar and the very Optimistic tent Manager said to me ' I reckon by tomorrow it will dry up ' - I had to burst out laughing as the water inside the bar was just below the bar counter and there was no way that was all going to vanish within 24 hours and even if it had all the pumping and cooling equipment and the generators would all have to be replaced - that bar was never opened up that year and the WBC did not use that location again.

One bar my Team worked in was struck by lightning and fully collapsed - cant recall now but it was not up and running again until either the Saturday or Sunday evening because the tent erectors had left Glastonbury and were working at a different festival.With no bar to work in we worked in a different bar.

A really bad event can set the WBC back for a few years and I know there was two times they were seriously considering closing it down which would have a huge impact on all the Volunteer Groups who raise funds for their own organisation. { such as  Amnesty International - CND -  Oxfam - WaterAid etc etc }

So I always pray that it will be  Overcast but without any Mud.

Edited by glasto-worker

1 hour ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Can anyone confirm if the bar right at the top of the park, up by the crow's nest - think it's called Trickett's - is open on Wednesday?

Can I jump on the back of this and extend this to asking if most of the bars are open on the Wednesday? We want to do a proper bar crawl because we've not done it before, but would rather do it before the bands start playing.

1 hour ago, EamerRed said:

Can I jump on the back of this and extend this to asking if most of the bars are open on the Wednesday? We want to do a proper bar crawl because we've not done it before, but would rather do it before the bands start playing.

If i'm not queueing for 12 hours again i';d also like to do a bar crawl on the weds. Already mentally planning it! :-)

On 2017-5-29 at 0:36 PM, EamerRed said:

The $64,000 Question 

it all depends where you go.

Yes for sure that many will be Open but not All.

Bar times will also vary.

Most Bars will be up and running by the Thursday but some may not Open until the Friday.

On 5/29/2017 at 11:02 AM, Scruffylovemonster said:

Can anyone confirm if the bar right at the top of the park, up by the crow's nest - think it's called Trickett's - is open on Wednesday?

I was wondering this. Would be a good place to watch the fireworks from.

3 hours ago, glasto-worker said:

The $64,000 Question 

it all depends where you go.

Yes for sure that many will be Open but not All.

Bar times will also vary.

Most Bars will be up and running by the Thursday but some may not Open until the Friday.

Pretty much.  The majority of Avalon's bars tend to do the setup and training on the wednesday morning and are running to some extent by 3pm on wednesday. If memory serves, the cocktail bars and ones that are in the inter-stage area tend to open up on thursday / friday.  The general rule of thumb  on the wednesday and thursday is if the stage isn't making noise, the bar next to it probably won't be serving