Deluxe Diner & Sunday Roasts

Keithy

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

22 minutes ago, H.M.V said:

If you can try and bring decent camping cutlery. Was a bit of a faff trying to get stuck into the roast with wooden knifes and forks. Top tip right there. 

I'd hope for metal cutlery. The website says: What's more, you will get a real plate, knife, fork and glass! 

33 minutes ago, H.M.V said:

If you can try and bring decent camping cutlery. Was a bit of a faff trying to get stuck into the roast with wooden knifes and forks. Top tip right there. 

I second this.

11 minutes ago, Waapster said:

I'd hope for metal cutlery. The website says: What's more, you will get a real plate, knife, fork and glass! 

They might this year due to possible complaint/comments after last year

35 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Probably because it is.

Fr'instance, the three course set lunch at Heston Blumenthal's Dinner restaurant in Mayfair is only £40.

http://www.dinnerbyheston.com

Yeah, but one is a one off event at a once yearly special occasion with a large menu, the other is every day of the year limited menu. You are paying for the experience as much as the meal (Im not saying I would do it, I just think that the event and the situation, and it being something you could only do there adds a bit more to the overall experience)

58 minutes ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

I have never in my life paid £45 for a meal. 

I have only once, in my youth- I went to a friends birthday meal as a student and no one warned me about that terrible scam rich people have of stuffing their faces with lots of expensive courses and wine, and then suddenly announcing 'lets just split the bill', knowing fine well they spent more than anyone else. In confusion and embarrassment I ended up forking over £45 for a £7 plate of spaghetti (I had opted for the cheapest option). I'll never fall for that crap again- I always refuse to split the bill and will quite happily calculate my precise amount of the bill!

I think it's ridiculous to bring up an argument about class. I'm not middle class - in fact I work 55 hours a week usually and I live on my own in a flat that costs £475/m in rent alone - and I would spend £17 on a roast or £35 for the 2 course meal.

Would I spend that much at home? No. But this is Glastonbury. It's a treat for a lot of people, for some people it's their only holiday all year, and the food from all the other stalls is more expensive than what I'd normally eat anyway.

My Dad has a pub that is a grade listed, 1547 building, full of history and a talking point. It has a 5 star hygiene rating and a bloody brilliant chef who gets nothing but compliments. A roast dinner costs roughly £10, puddings £4.50 and then drinks obviously vary. People pay it and we're usually fully booked. I actually think we were ranked as one of the worst off towns in the whole country and people can afford it and choose to pay for it. £17 or £35 really isn't that much for somewhere like Glastonbury where all the prices are hiked up anyway.

Edit: After all that I will add that I won't be booking as I have an amazing roast every Sunday at the pub so I don't feel like it's much of a treat to pay to have one somewhere haha. I hope everyone enjoys their meal though - it certainly sounds lovely.

Edited by stardustjunkie

10 minutes ago, stardustjunkie said:

I think it's ridiculous to bring up an argument about class. I'm not middle class - in fact I work 55 hours a week usually and I live on my own in a flat that costs £475/m in rent alone

Blimey, thats cheap! Where is that?

14 minutes ago, Mezhyp1 said:

I don't mind the thought of it, and it's pretty reasonably priced 

But the chance of me being able to spell Sunday roast never mind eat one at that point of the festival is extremely slim

Ha yes exactly. I'm one of those people that shreds their tongue on the happy stuff and by Sunday it turns into one giant ulcer. 

Plus this looks a bit like something I could easily do outside of Glasto, and though I'm sure it's really nice, could probably find a similar or better quality for the price near where I live. 

Edited by arcade fireman

It might sound daft to some but waking up on day 5 and having a sit down and roast dinner at noon was bloody heaven. Was a great pick me up and was a great atmosphere there with everyone exchanging stories from the festival. Was like the calm before the final storm!

Plus it was bloody delicious!!

Just go to one of the hot roast vans and buy one of them massive pork baguettes with stuffing. Yorkshire pudding filled with roasties is good as well. Sorts me right out.

1 minute ago, Alan_C said:

Just go to one of the hot roast vans and buy one of them massive pork baguettes with stuffing. Yorkshire pudding filled with roasties is good as well. Sorts me right out.

It's hard to feel superior to other people when you're eating your dinner off your lap though

2 minutes ago, russycarps said:

It's hard to feel superior to other people when you're eating your dinner off your lap though

Just tell yourself it's rustic and artisanal like hipsters do.

There's probably some sort of anal joke there somewhere.

6 minutes ago, russycarps said:

Yup, sitting on that rickity bench is the definition of superiority. I'll keep an eye out for ye Russy, the utter contempt seething out of you at the sight of me yorky puds will make you easy to spot. 

3 minutes ago, H.M.V said:

Yup, sitting on that rickity bench is the definition of superiority. I'll keep an eye out for ye Russy, the utter contempt seething out of you at the sight of me yorky puds will make you easy to spot. 

Along with a greasy smudge on the window.