What advice would you give for first timers?

Chris Lfc

... after you have got the essentials out the car and you look and whats left and think... "you can do it in one trip"... you can't.

Not only will you have massively underestimated what is left, but you will have also forgotten how far the walk from the car to the campsite will be... if its anything like I have had the will also be a massive winding queue in blazing heat to contend with, as everyone shuffles around the chicanes. (gate A, Weds Am at about 10 ish) looking fed up....

Don't make the mistake that i make each year - just don't do it kids!.... two trips for the win!

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, Peroni said:

... after you have got the essentials out the car and you look and whats left and think... "you can do it in one trip"... you can't.

Not only will you have massively underestimated what is left, but you will have also forgotten how far the walk from the car to the campsite will be... if its anything like I have had the will also be a massive winding queue in blazing heat to contend with, as everyone shuffles around the chicanes. (gate A, Weds Am at about 10 ish) looking fed up....

Don't make the mistake that i make each year - just don't do it kids!.... two trips for the win!

au contraire!

2014 i managed 1 trip  for the whole week, clothes, tent, drink for the week for me and the missus and i never had to go out that gate again until monday.

I'm not gona lie and say it was easy but heck it was worth it for having that extra hour of glastonbury

47 minutes ago, Peroni said:

nah if you can't do it all in one trip your taking too much or have improper carrying equipment

all you need is a decent sized rucksack. You can attach your tent/sleeping bag/chair to your rucksack 

then just carry your booze in a separate bag/s with your hands

50 minutes ago, Peroni said:

This, but with an added - make sure you have everything you need for Wednesday - you really shouldn't make that trip twice on the same day.  

1 hour ago, gerardfenton18 said:

au contraire!

2014 i managed 1 trip  for the whole week, clothes, tent, drink for the week for me and the missus and i never had to go out that gate again until monday.

I'm not gona lie and say it was easy but heck it was worth it for having that extra hour of glastonbury

I always do it in one trip too. Pack light, spirits not beer... Everything except the tent on my back. Coaching it this year so I'll be getting dropped at gate A. Nice and easy ha

1 hour ago, Curlygirl said:

I always do it in one trip too. Pack light, spirits not beer... Everything except the tent on my back. Coaching it this year so I'll be getting dropped at gate A. Nice and easy ha

im talking a case of cider for each day for both of us as well as spirits. it was a struggle but id do it again haha, i did have the help of a pallet truck 

35 minutes ago, gerardfenton18 said:

im talking a case of cider for each day for both of us as well as spirits. it was a struggle but id do it again haha, i did have the help of a pallet truck 

A pallet truck? as in a truck that moves pallets, with the forks on the front, that you pump up by lifting the handle up and down? Now that I would love to see. What time are you planning to get on site and which entrance are you using....I need to get myself set up well in advance to watch this

I do 1.5 trips. I zip along to where I want to camp with the tent in my hand and clothes, food and a pillow on my back. After laying out the groundsheet, I then go fetch the trolley loaded with booze, sleeping stuff, wellies and god knows what else from the straggler who is taking their sweet time about things.

1 hour ago, Charm said:

Just taking my tent to the queue this year, being in this with all my gear ruined me last time. 
Charm x

16gears.jpg

Yeah we're think the same just carry the tent and a few beers in the rucksack for the 1st run then go back for the rest when you can go through the quicker entrance

3 hours ago, not worthy said:

A pallet truck? as in a truck that moves pallets, with the forks on the front, that you pump up by lifting the handle up and down? Now that I would love to see. What time are you planning to get on site and which entrance are you using....I need to get myself set up well in advance to watch this

I ment to say crate truck , slightly fuzzy headed today due to a excessive hangover

image.jpg

2jeuzi0.jpg

My Glastomobile for many years, fabricated from two B&Q sack trucks bolted together.

The advantage of four wheels is that you can stop and take a break from pushing/pulling.

It deliberately had no steering as on most trolleys the steering pivot point is a point of weakness and prone to breaking.

One/two people would pull and when you needed to change direction someone would lift the back end, swing it round and re-direct it. Most travel at Glasto is broadly in a straight line anyway.

Edited by grumpyhack

17 minutes ago, grumpyhack said:

2jeuzi0.jpg

My Glastomobile for many years, fabricated from two B&Q sack trucks bolted together.

The advantage of four wheels is that you can stop and take a break from pushing/pulling.

It deliberately had no steering as on most trolleys the steering pivot point is a point of weakness and prone to breaking.

One/two people would pull and when you needed to change direction someone would lift the back end, swing it round and re-direct it. Most travel at Glasto is broadly in a straight line anyway.

That photo gets me every time. That really does look like a wondrous bit of kit.

I'm breezing in unhindered on Friday early a.m. this year, at a gentle stroll with the minimum of stuff (mostly booze) to a tent set up by my mates on Wednesday. 

Gonna miss the Weds/Thurs sadly, but I'll be there crack of dawn on Friday to restart the campfire and wake the lazy hungover fuckers up with fresh coffee and bacon rolls by 7am.

This year will be my 10th Glasto, I know what I'm talking about... mostly.

As most have already said, don't plan to watch too many acts, cos you'll miss loads anyway, so enjoy where you are at the time and WANDER as much as possible, you'll see more. But DO plan for any weather EVERY day, change to warmer clothing at night. Take a chair and inflatable bed, you'll NEED them!

MUST DO: Pitch UPHILL, EVERYTHING at Shangri-La, the silent disco,both the Somerset cider Co.bus by the Pyramid and Brothers bar by The Other stages, opening ceremony and sun-rise at the stone circle, the bandstand, have a indian head massage or try meditating at the healing field, don't leave any rubbish, watch at least 1 headliner on the Pyramid stage, PACE YOUSELF!!!

Watch it back later on BBC Player or YouTube and say "I WAS THERE"!!! It'll be the best 5 days of your life, promise... thus my 10th. Have a BALL! Glasto Mark X X X

Us coachers get it pretty rough with the lack of space for trolleys, don't get me wrong the lack of walking from a car park or queues was far easier than with a car so it's a compromise il happily make 

we're thinking a stretcher of some description, probably reinforced with a couple of poles, the whole lot tarped, bungeed & gaffered up + a man on each corner. There's 6 of us so we should be ok. We have several large tents, + crates etc etc & there's no way we can carry it all without some form of cunning plan. Last year we had early arrivers meet us at gate A to carry the mountains of stuff we brought, no such luck this year