2016 New Music Thread

Amy Lawn

33 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

I remember being well into loads of chart/pop stuff around about the time when that came out, there was her, La Roux, Little Boots, New Young Pony Club and Lykke Li all breaking out at once. Kanye and TVotR going pop with immense style. Then into the indie/NME stakes there was the mighty Los Campesinos! taking off like a rocket with TWO fucking insane records in one year, Foals; magnificent first album, The Kills making insane grooves. On the trendier side of things there was LCD Soundsystem, Hot Chip and M83 all putting incredible dance/indie/pop records into the world. Portishead reformed and introduced me to their incredible back catalogue. And I'm pretty sure all of this happened within the 18 month span when I was in 6th form. It was a fucking time to be alive.

Rose-tinted specs are a marvelous/malicious thing, this thread is all about looking forwards!

I interviewed Tahita Bulmer of New Young Pony Club at the Pyramids, Portsmouth, on the NME Tour with a young Klaxons, way back when.

Impressive woman. Was slightly in awe.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, willutalk said:

Arcade Fire should have a new album? Fingers crossed for a late 2016 release. 

Would be bless.

think 2017 is probably more likely. i know they've stuck to a three year gap between each release previously, but now all have solo projects and families etc, and have really only just wrapped up the Reflektor promotions (what with the film etc). summer 2017 imo, ready for festival dates

3 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Guy Garvey's album came out a month ago. Glad to hear you're excited for it though. :P

There are about fifty albums I'm already looking forward to so not really worth listing, but it already seems like it's gonna be a very good year.

Whaaaat, completely missed that. Will give it a listen tomorrow (today) :lol:

Captain We're Sinking, Brand New, Pup, letlive, Radiohead, Biffy, Run The Jewels, Deftones, A Day To Remeber (don't judge me), Heck and Glassjaw have all confirmed they're working on new material, so hopefully I'll see some of those next year. Also expecting to see stuff from Converge, The Dillinger Escape Plan, Joyce Manor, La Dispute and Vampire Weekend. Got to add that maybe a new At The Drive In record? Want to see Modern Baseball and Gnarwolves (who always release something annually anyway) to build upon their EPs they released this year.

Edited by justanothername

No promo videos yet but the king that is Steven Wilson has an 'interim' album out in January called 4 1/2 which will be amazing judging by the new song he did at the Royal Albert Hall.

Also, SW amongst other things' bass player Nick Beggs has a new album out with his new band 'The Mute Gods' called 'Do nothing until you hear from me' which has the potential to be great judging by their first song:

edit: finally worked out the embed function!

Edited by mungo57

8 hours ago, justanothername said:

Captain We're Sinking, Brand New, Pup, letlive, Radiohead, Biffy, Run The Jewels, Deftones, A Day To Remeber (don't judge me), Heck and Glassjaw have all confirmed they're working on new material, so hopefully I'll see some of those next year. Also expecting to see stuff from Converge, The Dillinger Escape Plan, Joyce Manor, La Dispute and Vampire Weekend. Got to add that maybe a new At The Drive In record? Want to see Modern Baseball and Gnarwolves (who always release something annually anyway) to build upon their EPs they released this year.

Modern Baseball have an album coming out in spring

8 hours ago, jonodillieono said:

Can't wait for the new Brand New album though, Mene is one of my favourite things that they've ever done.

wasn't Mene recorded (or at least written) around the time of The Devil & God? so don't think it's gonna be on or sound much like the new album. considering they've hinted that this may well be the last album they ever release the pressure's sure on. just hope it's worth it

47 minutes ago, When Jokers Attack said:

Animal Collective

that album's out on Friday isnt it?

2 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

wasn't Mene recorded (or at least written) around the time of The Devil & God? so don't think it's gonna be on or sound much like the new album. considering they've hinted that this may well be the last album they ever release the pressure's sure on. just hope it's worth it

Something like that but it was recorded until lately. They've said the new album is them going back to where they were between the 2nd and 3rd album and going off in a different direction instead of writing a follow up to Daisy. So hopefully Mene is a good idea to what the new album will sound like

5 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Completely forgot about that but yeah. "The final album for this version/iteration of Swans" too.

I just remembered we should be due another QOTSA album unless recent events have put it on hold.

That's me done for next year then. If it's anywhere near as good as the last two I'll be thrilled.

Would like to see them come out with something like Filth again, though.

Forget anything else, King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard are preparing an "infinitely looping" "super-heavy" "prog-metal" album, and have been playing half a dozen of the tracks live. This year's Paper Mache Dream Balloon was just mucking around, it seems: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/king-gizzard-and-the-lizard-wizard-talk-infinitely-looping-concept-lp-20151201