ME this evening

jackmca

On 20/11/2015, 06:53:48, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I've just looked at The National Grid's in house magazine for 2010 which has an article about the Glastonbury festival within it. It says;

“In the case of the pipeline, one of our
technicians will visit prior to the start of
the festival to mark out a 10m exclusion
zone. Marquee pegs can penetrate up to one
metre into the ground, and therefore only
small tents are allowed in this area. One of
our representatives will also supervise the
erection of the superfortress perimeter fence
where it crosses the pipeline.”

It's a sign..

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The route of the high pressure gas pipeline means that prior to the 2007 expansion, it would have solely run under car parks. In 2007 it would have clipped the western corner of Dairy Ground. More recently, it would have had several other camping areas on top of it - but never any stages.

(It now crosses the super fortress in several places. Since 2011 at least, there's been a 'Buried Services' map for infrastructure crew, showing the gas line, the private ring main for water, and the buried 11kv power lines. The map has instructions about obtaining permits to work for any digging near these services.)

It wouldn't be too difficult - IMHO - to fence an exclusion zone along it's path if the concerns really were serious. So I'd be surprised if this issue alone would result in a move of the festival.

10 minutes ago, Pinhead said:

Interesting. So it can be run over by vehicles yet officials seems to be worried about people 'dancing' on it.... Hmm.

It's not a crazy distinction. Vehicles roll over things rather than bounce up and down. You might remember that horrific footage of a packed dance floor collapsing a few years back.

That aside though, there is nowhere on the route of the pipeline where people would be dancing in significant numbers - it's pure camping.

Surely you would think that it must be buried fairly deeply though if it carries such a volatile fuel and presumably be in a special toughened pipe laid on a soft aggregate to distribute weight / force. Still can't get over that its said that a tent peg could go through it even if hammered in and that its close enough to the surface for a 10'' tent peg to reach!

35 minutes ago, paulo999 said:

The route of the high pressure gas pipeline means that prior to the 2007 expansion, it would have solely run under car parks. In 2007 it would have clipped the western corner of Dairy Ground. More recently, it would have had several other camping areas on top of it - but never any stages.

(It now crosses the super fortress in several places. Since 2011 at least, there's been a 'Buried Services' map for infrastructure crew, showing the gas line, the private ring main for water, and the buried 11kv power lines. The map has instructions about obtaining permits to work for any digging near these services.)

It wouldn't be too difficult - IMHO - to fence an exclusion zone along it's path if the concerns really were serious. So I'd be surprised if this issue alone would result in a move of the festival.

ahhh, thanks for the detail.

Parking over buried services certainly would be an issue if they weren't buried deep enough. And if the concerns are true - and not playing politics with local landowners - that people dancing / camping over them is potentially dangerous, then it infers it isn't buried deep enough to sustain / bear the load of cars parked on it.

So either someone's exaggerating the issue for some reason. Or this hasn't been managed properly in the past...which I find hard to believe.

I work with some underground service officers on a daily basis, so I can ask tomorrow if anyone really wants the technical guff / regulations, etc?

18 minutes ago, Woffy said:

Parking over buried services certainly would be an issue if they weren't buried deep enough. And if the concerns are true - and not playing politics with local landowners - that people dancing / camping over them is potentially dangerous, then it infers it isn't buried deep enough to sustain / bear the load of cars parked on it.

So either someone's exaggerating the issue for some reason. Or this hasn't been managed properly in the past...which I find hard to believe.

I work with some underground service officers on a daily basis, so I can ask tomorrow if anyone really wants the technical guff / regulations, etc?

Yes please.

7 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Yes please.

Oki doke, I'll ask and FB a mate of mine tonight. 2015 was his first G and he has a ticket for next year, so he'll be happy to help.

I 'approve' underground service works, but only from the POV of deconflicting the affect of outages on public sector buildings, so I don't know the full ins and outs of it.

1 hour ago, paulo999 said:

Any chance you can provide a copy of the map Paulo?

2 hours ago, ___S_o_m_a__ said:

I'm suspecting the pipeline is the one detailed on the map marked ST here:

http://www2.nationalgrid.com/uk/services/land-and-development/planning-authority/gas-network/

Noticed the pipe runs under Chewton Mendip and they're always fuckin' dancing so it can't be that.

This is the ST map from the link above.

wX6KedW.png

Roughly overlaying it on google maps I get the following.

8hauEJC.png

Red is the pipeline. Yellow is the fence. Purple is the car park (yellow & orange parking). Blue is the campervans. Two red dots are JP & Pyramid.

Edited by Dukeicon

13 minutes ago, Dukeicon said:

wX6KedW.png

8hauEJC.png

Red is the pipeline. Yellow is the fence. Purple is the car park (yellow & orange parking). Blue is the campervans. Two red dots are JP & Pyramid.

well if thats right then i would have thought just moving the cars ect would be ok even with the agro that entails instead of having to move the whole festi with the NIGHTMARE that would involve !!!!

36 minutes ago, Dukeicon said:

wX6KedW.png

8hauEJC.png

:bow:    That's a marvellous thingy that you have provided Dukeicon. Thanks for doing that - I'm almost gurgling this end I'm that happy. I so wish that I could do more on the computer than come on here and book Ryanair flights.

15 hours ago, Woffy said:

I'd say the geekery is strong in here with regards to anything Glastonbury related however tenuous that may be. We'd like to know the technical guff, technical bluff, regulations, rumours, truths, half truths, downright lies and everything in between.