Phil Collins 'Out of Retirement'

Ommadawn

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Phil Collins' solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like In the Air Tonight and Against All Odds.

But I also think Phil Collins works best within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist. This is Sussudio, a great, great song, a personal favorite.

Edited by Tomjoll

He is my #1 choice for the legends spot - no irony. Listening to his music in my dad's car in the early 80s is one of my earliest musical memories.

Nostalgia aside, I love some of his stuff - especially the darker material that cropped up on the first 3 albums - In the air tonight, I don't care anymore and take me home are sublime.

I think hating on Phil is a little too obvious and actually not as cool as people think. As well as his cheesy side, you have to take into account all that excellent work with Genesis, Brand X and John Martyn. The guy's a legend.

i'm gonna haunt you with this. :P

The spelling mistake? Or the sentiment? :)
On the subject of the former, it just shows what a froth I'm in. A man has to have to guilty pleasures and it's just that he was my mum's fave artist - well part of a holy trinity of him, Lionel and Queen. Could I get all three in two years? :)
P.S. He's better than Mumford.

brass-eye-2.JPG

Terrible Tory c**t.

Still, he had a song on the mildly amusing telly advert so should nail the sunday afternoon slot in front of the idiots.

"I heard this guy was a bit on an arsehole"

"Quiet, the BBC cameras are coming, start singing along"

.....I've been singing it wrong all these years. This is like the time I found out that Elvis Costello didn't have a song called "Oliver Zombie"

Imagine my surprise when I found out Poppadom Peach wasn't about peach chutney, but Madonna was singing about a youthful pregnancy.

Edited by stuartbert two hats