TFI Slip? ELO

Wanderlei

ELO is just Jeff nowadays

But it's not going to be a career spanning  set though is it? It'd be an ELO set, playing ELO songs. So not a legend set.

Dunno, maybe this is the year they have a band instead of solo, nothing is set in stone. But the legend slot being solo artists *is* a thing, not like the 'headliners never play on second tour after album' or some other gubbins like that.

Edited by stuartbert two hats

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But it's not going to be a career spanni g set though is it? It'd be an ELO set, playing ELO songs. So not a legend set.

Dunno, maybe this is the year they have a band instead of solo, nothing is set in stone. But the legend slot being solo artists *is* a thing, not like the 'headliners never play on second tour after album' or some other gubbins like that.

I agree about opening it up to bands as Lionel had such an impact that you would need someone huge to follow that up, so they'll be making a rod for their own backs if they're going to stick to solo artists.

Unless they get Elton John I think they would struggle with the comparisons to Lionel's set this year, so a band would definitely relieve that pressure I reckon.

Edited by MoilyX

He definitely said ELO, how anybody got ed sheeran is beyond me, whether he actually knows is another matter. Would he know? Maybe, do festival organisers talk to each other, I guess they would have to, 

how many people other than the Eavises would know at this point who was headlining and how many of them would tell others. Things are common knowledge in the industry before becoming public, they are just embargoed, so as a major music 'personality' he would know.

I wouldn't say not "worthy", I just don't think they have sufficient standing - either in terms of critical kudos or in terms of cultural impact - to headline in 2016.

The post legend slot on a Sunday afternoon feels like the place to put them.  #WrongBazza into ELO will be the winning combo.

I wouldn't say not "worthy", I just don't think they have sufficient standing - either in terms of critical kudos or in terms of cultural impact - to headline in 2016.

The post legend slot on a Sunday afternoon feels like the place to put them.  #WrongBazza into ELO will be the winning combo.

I agree that the Sunday early evening slot would suit them, but remember, Arcade Fire headlined, and ELO are massively bigger and have much more better know material than them.

I agree that the Sunday early evening slot would suit them, but remember, Arcade Fire headlined, and ELO are massively bigger and have much more better know material than them.

Arcade Fire have a hipster cachet that transcends their sales figures.  If there'd been a big ELO revival a la Fleetwood Mac then perhaps - I mean there no arguing with their sales figures, though the majority were 40 odd years ago.

Anyway,  if they do play - and we know that they're due to tour, so they're certainly in the running -  then I'm all over it.

The post-legend slot? Carrying on from Vampire Weekend, Ed Sheeran and alt-J? 

You can't have two 'legends' slots in one day - it'd be too much for Radio 2 and BBC 4 and what not. #WrongBazza might be able to still play in Saturday's 'legends' slot (Costello, Plant, Bacharach) but you'd think he's way too much of a novelty for that.

It'll probably just be one of those runners that look like the only contender due to tour dates and then it turns out to not be them. It's happened with a couple of acts in recent years but I can't remember them off the top of my head and I'm struggling with the search function.

The post-legend slot? Carrying on from Vampire Weekend, Ed Sheeran and alt-J? 

You can't have two 'legends' slots in one day - it'd be too much for Radio 2 and BBC 4 and what not. 

I'm not saying that there's a tradition of it, but I don't see why not, either. If I was booking the Pyramid and they both came across my desk I'd try to get both of them.

As it stands, WrongBaz could only play the legends slot, whereas there's a bit more flex with ELO.

Either I have a massive blind spot as far as ELO are concerned or ELO fans are deluded with regards to their size. I suspect it's a bit of both. Funnily enough, the only band I can think of where there's a bigger disparity between their actual size and how big their fans think they are is Arcade Fire (of which I am a fan)

Anyway, you're wrong :P Arcade Fire's last two albums went to No.1 and the previous one went to No.2. ELO's last three albums went to 34,9+4. Before that they had No.1 albums but we're back to 1981. I'm sure that translated to more overall sales, but that was a different time. Massively bigger that Arcade Fire they are not. 

As for well known, this sample of 1 says I don't know any ELO songs. Even the ones everyone says I do know. Even after I play them several times, because *to me* they're utterly forgettable. Arcade Fire on the other hand, I know all their songs.

It seems to me that there's a vocal minority who really like ELO, but I suspect they're vastly overestimating their popularity. After #wrongbazza seems about right, but Pyramid sub seems an awful stretch to me. Then again, I don't like them so I have my own bias ;)

Edited by stuartbert two hats
Admitting Arcade Fire fandom

Either I have a massive blind spot as far as ELO are concerned or ELO fans are deluded with regards to their size. I suspect it's a bit of both. Funnily enough, the only band I can think of where there's a bigger disparity between their actual size and how big their fans think they are is Arcade Fire (of which I am a fan)

Anyway, you're wrong :P Arcade Fire's last two albums went to No.1 and the previous one went to No.2. ELO's last three albums went to 34,9+4. Before that they had No.1 albums but we're back to 1981. I'm sure that translated to more overall sales, but that was a different time. Massively bigger that Arcade Fire they are not. 

As for well known, this sample of 1 says I don't know any ELO songs. Even the ones everyone says I do know. Even after I play them several times, because *to me* they're utterly forgettable. Arcade Fire on the other hand, I know all their songs.

It seems to me that there's a vocal minority who really like ELO, but I suspect they're vastly overestimating their popularity. After #wrongbazza seems about right, but Pyramid sub seems an awful stretch to me. Then again, I don't like them so I have my own bias ;)

maybe it's a geographical thing, as ELO make an appalling noise in my ears too. 

my step dad loves them, but he only loves 2 bands; ELO and The Beatles.  he's not from round our way.

to me ELO are like Radiohead, in that i hope they play just so people stop banging on about them ;)

Dad rock is an improvement on recent 'even Dad thinks they're shit legends slot occupants.

Speaking as a dad what rocks, I heartily endorse this comment. I've not been to a legends slot since Ray Davies in 2010. 

They may not get a Dolly or Lionel size crowd but they'll still fill up that field.