TFI Slip? ELO

Wanderlei

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Either I have a massive blind spot as far as ELO are concerned or ELO fans are deluded with regards to their size. I suspect it's a bit of both. Funnily enough, the only band I can think of where there's a bigger disparity between their actual size and how big their fans think they are is Arcade Fire (of which I am a fan)

Anyway, you're wrong :P Arcade Fire's last two albums went to No.1 and the previous one went to No.2. ELO's last

As for well known, this sample of 1 says I don't know any ELO songs. Even the ones everyone says I do know. Even after I play them several times, because *to me* they're utterly forgettable. Arcade Fire on the other hand, I know all their songs.

It seems to me that there's a vocal minority who really like ELO, but I suspect they're vastly overestimating their popularity. After #wrongbazza seems about right, but Pyramid sub seems an awful stretch to me. Then again, I don't like them so I have my own bias ;)

They were fucking huge in the 70s. As a nostalgia act I can see them going down really well.

absolute bollocks.

Arcade Fire headline festivals and do huge tours around the world.

Jeff Lynne/ELO don't.

the idea that ELO could even sub if laughable.

They headlined Radio 2 thing in Hyde Park last year, first gig for decades. Tour next year will be arenas at least.

https://youtu.be/PFU9HYyMVxQ

They headlined Radio 2 thing in Hyde Park last year, first gig for decades. Tour next year will be arenas at least.

https://youtu.be/PFU9HYyMVxQ

there's a curiousity/novelty value about them live at the moment, that's what'll get the punters along. I can see them doing biggish venues on this tour next year, then if they continue playing, rapidly slipping down the food chain. I don,t think they'll be getting much repeat business.

Glastonbury? Doesnt matter really, the pyramid has some big big names from past years on relatively early. They could play 3rd down, equally they could play at 2 in the afternoon. All depends on how much they want the TV exposure vs how much cash they want.

there's a curiousity/novelty value about them live at the moment, that's what'll get the punters along. I can see them doing biggish venues on this tour next year, then if they continue playing, rapidly slipping down the food chain. I don,t think they'll be getting much repeat business.

Glastonbury? Doesnt matter really, the pyramid has some big big names from past years on relatively early. They could play 3rd down, equally they could play at 2 in the afternoon. All depends on how much they want the TV exposure vs how much cash they want.

I'd agree with that.

Glastonbury can more or less put on who they want on the big stages at whatever time. Just adjust the length of time they are given, up the size of the font on the line up poster and away you go.

yeah I don't think it matters when they're on, I'd LOVE to see them (even if it's only Jeff L & Richard T with some hired fiddlers and a decent rhythm section). The Hyde Park show was amazing and I wasn't there, so I'd love to see them for real and Glastonbury is the perfect place for it. A band that size (I'm talking physical dimensions!) isn't going to be playing 'intimate venues' anytime, so the Pyramid is a perfect setting for their magnitude! They're really get the crowd going and it would be one long 'moment', hit after hit.

And the Evans *definitely* said ELO, a deaf bat could hear that!

Well, that clip sounds like ELO to me too.

But I reckon Take That would have already known.

The musicians who were playing with them on TFI were the same ones who have played with them for years. They are also the very same ones who stood behind Jeff Lynne at Hyde Park and pretended to be ELO for the day. And they haven't mentioned their plans for next summer to their boss Gary?